Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMFAO![/QUOTE]

that's howls
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Here's what ESPN's Rumour Section had to say about the Toronto coaching vacancy today

D'Antoni not an option for Toronto
      9:47 AM ET
      Options for Toronto:
      Lawrence Frank. If Toronto is looking for D, Frank would be a strong candidate.
      Dwane Casey. He could also land the Golden State gig.
      Brian Shaw. He's well-regarded and could get a look post-Lakers.

UPDATE: Bryan Colangelo is searching for a head coach. However, he won't be looking at New York. The New York Post reports the Raptors will not ask to speak with Mike D'Antoni.

Colangelo said Wednesday that he wants a "defensive-minded" coach and that is obviously not D'Antoni.

"There's absolutely no truth to [Mike wanting to go to Toronto]," agent Warren LeGarie said.

-- Nick Borges

----

According to the Associated Press, the Raptors have announced Jay Triano is out as head coach.

With that, our eye turns to his possible replacement.

According to Adrian Wojnarowksi of Yahoo! Sports, "several league execs believe Bryan Colangelo will have to go 'opposite' in next coaching hire, with focus on defense. Lawrence Frank makes sense."

Frank is also in the mix for Golden State's open head-coaching gig, so it's possible he may not be available.

Mike Brown would have made sense as well, but he's now the head coach of the Lakers.

Beyond Frank, it's possible the Raptors could interview Dallas assistant Dwane Casey -- who's also on Golden State's list -- as well as Brian Shaw, who didn't land the Lakers' gig.

-- Ryan Corazza

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        rick adelman?
        Lawrence Frank
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

(From the realgm thread I posted in my last post)

------------------------

Raptors General Manager Bryan Colangelo joined Brady & Lang in the Morning to discuss why he decided to decline the option on Head Coach Jay Triano's contract and what he's looking for in a new head coach.
          http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...2_091512_10460
          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Thu Jun 2, 2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

A Coach with More Pedigree? Where does the Pedigree trail end?

First of all, a coach with pedigree can't move his ass on defence either.

Secondly, did we not hire Colagelo as a GM with pedigree? He was brought in by MLSE to have enough "pedigree" that the board would stay out of things. Now the GM needs a coach with "pedigree" to keep his ass out of things that he shouldn't be influencing. All we need now are some players with pedigree. I would prefer to not get cheerleaders with pedigree as we do not want to have a squad of highly accomplished 40 year olds cheering for our guys.

Comment

A couple of new names for the coaching vacancy as per ESPN:

Chuck Person. Like Shaw, Person is available post-Lakers.
              Adrian Griffin. As an assistant on the Bulls' staff, he had a hand in league's top defense.
              We asked ESPN's John Hollinger and ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher for their thoughts on Toronto's next coach. Bucher is also hearing the Raptors would like to go with a defensive-minded coach and he lists former Lakers assistant Chuck Person and current Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin as possible options.

-- Ryan Corazza

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher
              What Raptors want may not be available

"I'm told they want a defensive guru with name recognition -- that's the going soup du jour for teams these days. The problem is, the pickings seem to be rather slim on that front. I don't see Jerry Sloan coming out of retirement and certainly not to coach in Canada. Dwane Casey is a good defensive coach but is on the verge of being tainted by being good enough to interview but not quite good enough to get the job so many times now. I'm not sure Lawrence Frank has either the name recognition or the defensive rep. So that leaves us with guys who never have been head coaches but have been in some pretty high-profile systems: Lakers assistant coach Chuck Person and Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin, both of whom are considered to have head-coach DNA."

ESPN's John Hollinger
              Veteran coaches likely won't want the job

"The Captain Obvious name is Mike D'Antoni, but presuming he's back on the bench in New York we're likely to see a fresh face. Established veteran candidates like Jeff Van Gundy won't want this job, which means we probably an expect either a first-time coach or a lightly worn retread."

Comment

Love to have Sloan or JVG but I think all that stuff is wishful thinking.

More realistic is Frank, Marc Jackson, Adleman, or maybe even Shaw. I wonder if Shaw would use the triangle? Hope not.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Imo

This idea of Vet coaches not being interested in coming to Toronto is not as much of an obstacle as some make it out to be. Sure Toronto is still in a rebuild mold and although we have a few nice pieces we don't have a strong roster.

However, there are ONLY 30 head NBA coaching jobs in the world. That's it. 30. If you want to coach in the NBA you have very limited options. I also think that GM's being older and more educated than the average nba player wouldn't be as hung up on the perspective that Canada is cold/ taxes are brutal, and all the other stuff that NBA players talk about.

I've always believed that having a "winning" organization is more important than location. Lakers vs Clippers is the obvious example. In the case of drawing a coach based on a "winning organization" I think it is probably easier to get a coach to buy into getting in on the ground floor then a player. The reason being is that the coach has a greater ability to affect that mentality than a single player. Especially if they are backed by a front office that is dedicated to winning. I think despite MLSE having a rep for being penny pincher's there have been indications that they will do what it takes to get competitive. This includes paying what it takes to get a good head coach. (At least they better be willing otherwise why not keep triano at his low salary.)

Do I think Phil Jackson will even answer his phone if Bryan calls? Absolutely not. I think that he has a slight chance of enticing Sloan, but even though I was the first to drop his name on this thread it is a long shot. If Sloan doesn't want to coach he doesn't want to coach.

However, Adelman, I think is very getable IF they are willing to pay and give him gm/assistant gm title. I don't know where to look, but how many clubs are looking to hire a head coach right now? If someone could post the number or list the clubs, I'd appreciate it. I think that if we compare the number of head coaching positions vs head coaches we'd like to get I think we find MORE coaches than positions. It doesn't guarantee we'll get one of. However I do think it's LIKELY if we are willing to PAY in terms of salary per year, or length of contract, adding additional perks like a gm title.

I think we've still got lots of options and the only reason to fire Triano is to bring in a big name guy. I think there's good odds BC will. Because he d*** well better!
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                    The word is spelled Rapport (and is pronounced with a silent T).

Otherwise, I agree. Great coach for player development. However it's Colangelo's job to make the best team he can. This offseason there is a veritable treasure trove of excellent coaches that are potentially available. Consider the letting go of Triano akin to not picking up a Player Option for a player with an expensive contract in an off-season rich with quality Free Agents. It's a good move by BC, I think, but I still appreciate what Triano did for all the Raptors' young players.
                    Thank-you so much.
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

• I actually threw Jerry Sloan's name in there but i dont think at his age he would want to take on a team that just came from a 22 win season with possible 5-6 new players on the roster for the upcoming season. i think he knows he already has enough gray hair.

adelman wont get back to coaching until after another year. if i remember correctly, no coach has been fired during the offseason to comeback when the regular season starts.

since frank has been mentioned a couple of times by the media, i believe he is highly being considered. i dont think BC will continue his trend of 1st time head coaches, so Brian Shaw and Dwayne Casey are out.

Comment

• I hold out hope for Sloan primarily because of what happened in Utah. I have always viewed him to be a challenge oriented coach and molded players to his system with his force of will and no-nonsense attitude. He is also a lifer and probably has started to miss the action. If there ever was a coaching challenge and wrap to his hall of fame career it could be the Raps. He also might just be the guy to turn Bargnani around defensively...put a pulse in him. AB is pretty much on the block so whats to lose by getting aggressive. Sloan also comes with his trusted assistant of many years Phil Johnson who left when JS did rather than succeed him. One thing's for sure if Sloan came...all the players would know who they were playing for and how to....every night.

Comment

• RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                          Thank-you so much.
                          lol
                          “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

• BC's best two coaching options

I think BC has only two real choices for the Raps new head coach. The first is Lawrence Frank. He is an experienced coach. He has led a team deep into the playoffs, learned from a potential hall of fame coach (Doc Rivers), fits the defensive-minded bill and generally viewed as 'boy wonder'/coaching genius, in terms of game planning before and during games.

The other option is Mike D'Antoni. If he is fired by the Knicks, I think BC pounces. D'Antoni is nowhere close to being a defensive-minded coach, but he is the architect of the 7-seconds or less offence that BC has been trying, in vain, to bring to Toronto for the last five years.

If I was making the call, I think I would go with Frank, because he seems smarter and less stubborn than D'Antoni. But how can BC resist nabbing the coach he and Steve Nash made famous?

Comment

• wish list lol

Del Harris
                              K. C. Jones
                              Rudy Tomjanovich
                              Jeff Van Gundy
                              larry brown (throw in gm title)

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                                wish list lol

Del Harris
                                K. C. Jones
                                Rudy Tomjanovich
                                Jeff Van Gundy
                                larry brown (throw in gm title)
                                I am going to assume this list is dripping in sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                                X