Jay Triano out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Smith wrote:
    Colangelo said someone with "pedigree" or a "resume" would be an ideal choice for this young Raptors team. i.e. Veteran coach I'd assume
    14 minutes ago
    http://twitter.com/Eric__Smith/status/76057331921715200

Comment

I'm pretty shocked, thought for sure theyd keep him on. Here's hoping they get someone good :/
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Sweet god not dunleavy
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
          (BTW, I love the fact that Triano took a "Special Assistant" role with the club. If he has ANY prospect of being a head coach or even on a NBA coaching staff next year, don't you think he would have taken it?)
          Not really? When was the last time you saw a head coach get fired and immediately take a head coach position with another team? Fired coaches take breaks or other types of positions until they get an offer (see Woodson, Van Gundy, Mke Brown, etc.). Not saying I think Triano will get another head coach offer, but your reasoning doesn't support your conclusion.
          Last edited by Quixotic; Wed Jun 1, 2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

The only head coaching gig I could see him with is team Canada. And I hope it happens, that moron Rautins is running the program into the ground.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Sweet god not dunleavy
              Why not Mike Dunleavy? Besides the Clippers, (which he actually led to within a game of the Western Finals) and Milwauke (where they literally had less talent than an NBDL team) he has shown to be VERY competent. He's a VERY successful Head Coach.
              And having played in the league for a few years himself, he has always been considered a players Coach.
              We probably won't even look at him, but I'm not sure why someone would be against hiring him.

I know the Lakers were looking to bring him back before settling on Brown (He Coached them to the Finals previously).

Comment

Yay. I wanted Triano out, I think he got a lot more credit than due for the young player development. That said he is in the Tannenbaum field of dreams so would be in the organization somewhere.

As for replacements, SVG isn't going anywhere, forget the silly crap about Sloan or Phil Jackson coming out of retirement cuz it isn't happening, and if by some miracle it did, it wouldn't be here.

Since Colangelo is now saying experienced/resume:

Adelman would be a great pick-up, and Apollo's point about GM/coach would be very interesting. He has not coached on the east coast or conference I believe, but would love him here.
                Frank I am back and forth on, but would be happy with the choice.
                JVG - doubt it but sure I would be fine with this.
                Larry Brown...next. Seriously don't even think about it.
                Mike Woodsen - I can't offer a truly informed opinion, I defer to the other posters
                Fratello - Meh
                Dunleavy - uh, not my choice.

Comment

Agreed on all coaches. Adelman is far and away my first choice.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I would like to get a big name coach, but do you think they would come to TOronto? More importantly, would a defensive minded coach want to coach for Toronto? If a new coach held players accountable on defense who would play? JJ? JW?

I dont like this move at all. Jay was a bad defensive coach but the players liked him and thats what matters. Also, dont forget, before Chris Bosh quit on us he did get the Raps to 4th in the Eastern Conference.

I hope we can get Frank or Mike Woodsen. Its hard to see adleman or brown wanting to come into a rebuild situation this late in their career.

Comment

Brown only likes rebuild situations. =P

Comment

I thought they'd bring him back as a sacrificial lamb for next year's crapfest. I'm surprised by this. Now, the new guy is going to have wear the stink of next season.

Well, good luck to Jay. I don't think he was a bad coach or a bad guy but he was certainly out of his depth that first year and the rosters handed to him the last 2 did him no favours. It's hard to blame Triano for what has happened the last 3 years but someone needed to take the fall for this 22-win team. Next up: Andrea Bargnani meets the Sword of Damacles.

Comment

Based on Colangelo's comments, I don't see how he can now hire a first-time head coach. I can't imagine he'd do this unless he had a target and had some indication that guy would come to Toronto. I just can't figure out what quality, veteran coach in his right mind would want to coach the 2011-12 Raptors.

Comment

please, please Jeff Van Gundy......that would be amazing
                            Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Based on Colangelo's comments, I don't see how he can now hire a first-time head coach. I can't imagine he'd do this unless he had a target and had some indication that guy would come to Toronto. I just can't figure out what quality, veteran coach in his right mind would want to coach the 2011-12 Raptors.
                              You're right. There's not much point in firing a first-time (NBA) head coach and replacing him with another one. That said, I think if anyone is to lure a quality coach to Toronto, it would be BC.

Comment

I can see Colangelo pulling some weak ass shit like bringing in the dude that just got fired in GS, Keith Smart.
                                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                                X