• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ping_No_2_Pick

Comment

Key words were, "Right now we're keeping two."

Comment

Does Flynn = Nash in the long term or Starbury?

BC has made one of the best, and one of the worst decisions in NBA history, in terms of acquiring point guards. First, he made the horrific decision of trading Jason Kidd, in his prime, no less, for Stephon Marbury. This ended up being one of the most lopsided trades in recent history. Starbury put up decent stats, but was a locker room hazard. Kidd put up MVP stats in New Jersey and led the team to back-to-back NBA finals.

Then three years later, Colangelo made the brilliant move of signing an often-inured, supposedly exiting his prime, point guard in Steve Nash. Nash wins back-to-back MVPs and the Suns become a offensive juggernaut and a should-have-been-a-championship team in 2007.

BC loves building teams around elite point guards. So, I ask you: If we chase Jonny Flynn, who is he more likely to become, Steve Nash or Stephon Marbury? Or is he even capable of becoming a poor man's version of either?

Comment

Jay_Dubyah wrote: View Post
          BC has made one of the best, and one of the worst decisions in NBA history, in terms of acquiring point guards. First, he made the horrific decision of trading Jason Kidd, in his prime, no less, for Stephon Marbury. This ended up being one of the most lopsided trades in recent history. Starbury put up decent stats, but was a locker room hazard. Kidd put up MVP stats in New Jersey and led the team to back-to-back NBA finals.

Then three years later, Colangelo made the brilliant move of signing an often-inured, supposedly exiting his prime, point guard in Steve Nash. Nash wins back-to-back MVPs and the Suns become a offensive juggernaut and a should-have-been-a-championship team in 2007.

BC loves building teams around elite point guards. So, I ask you: If we chase Jonny Flynn, who is he more likely to become, Steve Nash or Stephon Marbury? Or is he even capable of becoming a poor man's version of either?
          Marbury's game in Minnesota and New Jersey with Nash's shooting percentages and selflessness would be nice, no?

Forgetting personalities and indulging the query, if those are the only two options, my guess would be Marbury - and that would assume he reached his FULL basketball potential and we forgot about character.

Comment

You know what I mean Apollo

Apollo wrote: View Post
            What about a trade that involves Gilbert Arenas and Hedo Turkoglu coming to Toronto?
            Let's keep this with Minny ok? As for those two, Orlando's screwed.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
              wow is this ever getting out of hand.

You guys do realize that this is being considered one of the worst draft classes in maybe a decade right?

You guys do know what Johnny Flynn has done to date in the NBA right?

Amir or Ed? Just to "get from under Calderon's contract"? You do realize he only has 2 years left and its 9-10 mil dollars... and we aren't talking about a Gilbert Arenas type player right?

My god I am so thankful you guys don't run this team.
              thats why i don't reposnd to a lot of things on here because its just nonsense
              "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

The Timberwolves agreeing to terms with Ricky Rubio on a contract means they are expected to move former Syracuse standout Jonny Flynn, who fell out of favor with coach Kurt Rambis and was replaced at the point by Luke Ridnour. Look for the Kings and Raptors to make bids for Flynn, who faltered in general manager David Kahn’s survival-of-the-fittest plan for his point guards . . .
                http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._miami/?page=5

Comment

Jay_Dubyah wrote: View Post
                  My question to you would be, why does he have to be either of those guys? They can't guard their shadows.

Comment

This trade actually makes a lot of sense and would really help the Raptors by...

1. Getting rid of Calderon
                    2. Moving up in the draft
                    3. Getting a decent defender in Martell Webster
                    4. They free up Barbosa's contract, which is pretty big

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                      How is flynn an outcast? he had a good rookie yar and abad second year because of injury. He was selected in the 2009 draft at 6... 2009 has turned out to be a strong class thus far i feel confident in us getting flynn. everyone here said the same things about james johnson at the time and bayless... both times the pessemists were prooven wrong. i see no difference this time.
                      Injury or not, I still don't like Flynn. I'm sure you would agree that Flynn is not a piece of the puzzle (in Minnesota and definitely not here), and neither are Bayless and Johnson, they are simply not assets. Were the latter two good pickups? Sure, great moves by BC, but they are just rotation guys and imo that's all they'll be, but that's besides the point, if it means moving up in the draft and/or getting some other good pieces, then you trade for Flynn, if it's a straight up 1 for 1 deal...then you probably don't. That's what I think anyways, never been a Flynn guy.

Comment

• Doug's take

Q: Hi Doug. Will the signing of Rubio by Minny change the draft at all? Also could you comment on the rumour of Flynn to Raptors-he's a poor shooter with a weak assist to turnover ratio. He does not seem to be an upgrade. Thanks

Douglas L, Toronto

A: Shouldn’t really change the draft at all, it was highly doubtful Minnesota and its point-guard-collecting GM was going to a shot at Irving anyway. What it might do is change what the Timberwolves seek in a trade to get out of the No. 2 spot.

And, in my opinion, Jonny Flynn is not at all better than either of the point guards Toronto has under contract now and to seek him would be foolish. Besides, I’d thought that nonsensical rumour was dead?

Source

Comment

• Besides, I’d thought that nonsensical rumour was dead?

Smith can be such an arrogant dick sometimes. I often thought his fawning over Bargnani was nonsensical.

Comment

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            Smith can be such an arrogant dick sometimes. I often thought his fawning over Bargnani was nonsensical.
                            I recall him pointing out Bargnani's deficiencies plenty of times, though perhaps not as much as you would like. Just because someone disagrees with you and doesn't have a black and white mentality doesn't mean they're fawning.

Comment

• wow

okayyy guyss....this deal is just hilarious...the raptors would give away calderon for flynn any day of the ear...theyd probably and should give him away for an ice cream cone if they can...hes not winner..cant play ANY defense....and you guys think we can get Flynn AND the #2 pick...theres no way it would happen..id love to see it happen but it just wont...even if we throw in bargnani AND take any bad contracts Minesota has...[I]d love to see it happen...Flynn and Bayless wouldnt be bad..derrick williams and DD...Ed and Amir or if possible Kanter...we would be the next OKC thunder

Comment

• rapt wrote: View Post
                                okayyy guyss....this deal is just hilarious...the raptors would give away calderon for flynn any day of the ear...theyd probably and should give him away for an ice cream cone if they can...hes not winner..cant play ANY defense....and you guys think we can get Flynn AND the #2 pick...theres no way it would happen..id love to see it happen but it just wont...even if we throw in bargnani AND take any bad contracts Minesota has...[I]d love to see it happen...Flynn and Bayless wouldnt be bad..derrick williams and DD...Ed and Amir or if possible Kanter...we would be the next OKC thunder
                                Unfortunately the Raptors do not have a talent near the likes of Russell Westbrook - let alone Kevin Durant - YET.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jun 5, 2011, 08:42 PM. Reason: Yet - they are coming...

Comment

Working...
                                X