No announcement yet.

Frank Front-Runner For Head Coach Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Front-Runner For Head Coach Job?

Raptors have not contacted Lawrence Frank yet, but expected to soon. Frank's defensive-minded style makes him a strong candidate.
    Source: Twitter/ @ChrisMannixSI

I think everyone I've spoken to has had Lawrence Frank as the front-runner for this Raps gig. Of course, this likely means we're all wrong.
    Source: Twitter/ @stackmack

The Raptors may have to hurry to find a replacement, as Detroit and Golden
    State are also without a bench boss and will be on the hunt in the coming
    weeks. Already, two new head coaches were named this offseason, with Mike
    Brown and Kevin McHale finding new homes in Los Angeles and Houston.
    Before revamping Boston's defense in Tom Thibodeau's absence, Lawrence Frank
    proved he was a capable coach during his time with the New Jersey Nets.
    Source: HoopsWorld.com

I think he'd be perfect. He wouldn't command the salary Adelman or JVG would, but he's a high quality coach in his own right. What he did with that Nets team when j-kidd stopped giving a fuck is pretty commendable.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Coaching is funny eh? Most of us want this guy (myself included), but in his whole career he's never even had a 50 win season and has a career .483 winning percentage.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        I think he'd be perfect. He wouldn't command the salary Adelman or JVG would, but he's a high quality coach in his own right. What he did with that Nets team when j-kidd stopped giving a fuck is pretty commendable.
        I'd rather pay Adelman the money. He's a damn good coach. JVG is TOO defensive-minded and I don't think he'd be a good fit with Colangelo. Adelman isn't a defensive coach by any means, but his teams that he's coached haven't been slouches either.

So if what Frank did was commendable without having Kidd, what would you call what Triano did with what he had last year?

Comment

frank was part of the most historic flop of the nba. nets sucked balls so much and they didn't even have that terrible of a team, not sure if he's the right guy if you want to make progress.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Yeah he's kinda had the Scott Skiles effect. Yells at his players a whole, is extremely demanding, and asks a lot. This usually continues until the players freak and demand a trade or that the coach gets fired.

Kevin O'Neil all over again?
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
              Coaching is funny eh? Most of us want this guy (myself included), but in his whole career he's never even had a 50 win season and has a career .483 winning percentage.
              Count me in the not interested category. I'm firmly in the no retreads camp unless you're talking an elite guy like Sloan and those guys ain't coming to Toronto.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Count me in the not interested category. I'm firmly in the no retreads camp unless you're talking an elite guy like Sloan and those guys ain't coming to Toronto.
                Let us not forget his glorious 0-16 start to get himself fired the last time he was a head coach. The more I think about it, the less I want him. Hard to say. I think he'd be a great assistant coach to kick in the defense but he's already got a job for that.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I can see Brian Shaw, or Adelman taking this job.
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Not arguing for Frank but Rivers didn't do that much better in his last year with Orlando before being fired (1-10), and was pretty mediocre (.467 win pct, .364 win pct in the playoffs) before Ainge got him Garnett and Allen.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                      Let us not forget his glorious 0-16 start to get himself fired the last time he was a head coach. The more I think about it, the less I want him. Hard to say. I think he'd be a great assistant coach to kick in the defense but he's already got a job for that.
                      I don't have anything against Frank and I'd be ambivalent if they hired him. I just don't think he makes much of a difference either way. That's my issue. I couldn't care less about firing/retaining Triano but if you're going to replace him I think they need to try and find a difference-maker. Otherwise, it's just firing a coach for the sake of getting a new guy. Might be good for optics but substantively it doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        Not arguing for Frank but Rivers didn't do that much better in his last year with Orlando before being fired (1-10), and was pretty mediocre (.467 win pct, .364 win pct in the playoffs) before Ainge got him Garnett and Allen.
                        Yet another data point to show that most coaches don't really make any difference. Talent wins. If Triano had Lebron, Wade and Bosh I'm sure we'd be talking about what a great coach he is. Remember when Spoelstra couldn't coach at the start of the year? Now, his complicated defensive schemes are the backbone of Miami's success. Gimme a break.

Just like Rivers. Doc Rivers couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in 2006. Suddenly, he learns how to coach and his team wins 40 more games! Oh wait, suddenly Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are worth 40 more wins! Shocking how that works.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          I hope so - my vote LF !!!!!
                          he's young
                          he's hungry
                          he's smart
                          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Yet another data point to show that most coaches don't really make any difference. Talent wins. If Triano had Lebron, Wade and Bosh I'm sure we'd be talking about what a great coach he is. Remember when Spoelstra couldn't coach at the start of the year? Now, his complicated defensive schemes are the backbone of Miami's success. Gimme a break.

Just like Rivers. Doc Rivers couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in 2006. Suddenly, he learns how to coach and his team wins 40 more games! Oh wait, suddenly Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are worth 40 more wins! Shocking how that works.
                            I agree. When you have a glut of potential hall of famers on your team, it's not so much coaching as it is letting the players do their thing, or at most managing their egos.

The Triano move is largely symbolic. The team can only get better, but it will seem like the new coach was responsible. I do think Adelman would make a difference though (I don't know the other coaches that well). Anyone that could get that crippled (Yao-less, McGrady-less) Rockets team to play the way they did... not that it matters much for the Raptors until we get more talent.

Comment

I'm not totally enthused by Frank. I would rather see Maurice Cheeks, I think he would be a good fit for this team. Good personality, player coach, and defensive minded.

Comment

Working...
                              X