Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Kanter get a promise from the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I think we should be a bit worried about this guy. I'm not sure he can be as bad a stiff as a guy like Araujo, but it's still worth considering how big he's been so young and how much that advantage might disappear if he actually isn't quick enough on his feet, or long enough to guard on the block. Not sure he's a higher potential pick or better fit than a PG like Knight or Walker.

Let me say that while I'm worried I do think he's worth taking a gamble on. Personally I'd rather pick Knight or Walker up, but I'll admit Kanter makes a great asset. If he's a legit big who is as good as advertised and can play the 5, he's an obvious keeper. If he's not, I think you trade him early as he would be a very interesting piece to package in a trade. Even then he's probably a guy teams will be calling about for a couple of years even if he underachieves.
    Knight and Walker are just as big gambles as Kanter. Is Knight a PG? Can Walker contribute when he's not dominating the ball and chucking up shots, which he wouldn't be able to do on a good team?

Personally, I think Kanter is the safer pick, despite how little we've seen from him. I think his worst case scenario is better than Knight and Walker's, and his best case scenario is probably better.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I think we should be a bit worried about this guy. I'm not sure he can be as bad a stiff as a guy like Araujo, but it's still worth considering how big he's been so young and how much that advantage might disappear if he actually isn't quick enough on his feet, or long enough to guard on the block. Not sure he's a higher potential pick or better fit than a PG like Knight or Walker.
      1. Araujo should not be used in any comparison with Kanter. Kanter is as skilled as Araujo was unskilled. The only real similarities are size and skin color.

2. If you mean he might not play at the same level because he won't have the same length advantage, fine, but know that his standing reach compared just fine to the average center in DX's measurement database (Kanter @ 9'1.5" vs Average @ 9'1.4"), and though his wingspan was 1.3" less than the average, that's two-thirds of an inch less extension on each arm. To put that in perspective, an unclipped nail would cover much of that difference.

3. We actually have a decent sense of his quickness. While competitive play would be a better measure, I doubt he'd be much slower in a real game. At the combine, Kanter's performance in the 3/4 sprint and the lane agility tests was comparable to the average SF performance, and put him ahead of most PFs and Cs in the database.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        Right.. and the first thing I said in my post was:

My interpretation from it is that the Wizards who hold the #6 pick and Kanter who has said that he would like to play for Washington know that he'll be selected before then and could be the reason why they haven't contacted him for a workout. Who holds the pick before the Wizards? Toronto - and we know that there has been a lot of news regarding the Raps and how they'd like to get their paws on Kanter. Like I said before, there's nothing factual about it, just loose speculation on my part.
        I have no idea why they haven't arranged the workout, except that perhaps it's another case of someone having not done something YET being reported as news (by Borges). Even if the Wizards found out that the Raptors had given Kanter a promise, it wouldn't matter unless 1) the Wizards have taken a completely defeatist attitude regarding the possibility of trading up, or 2) the Wizards just don't want Kanter. There's just way too much time and too many possibilities for the Wizards to not do their due diligence. I'm willing to bet a workout gets scheduled for later.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
          1. Araujo should not be used in any comparison with Kanter. Kanter is as skilled as Araujo was unskilled. The only real similarities are size and skin color.

2. If you mean he might not play at the same level because he won't have the same length advantage, fine, but know that his standing reach compared just fine to the average center in DX's measurement database (Kanter @ 9'1.5" vs Average @ 9'1.4"), and though his wingspan was 1.3" less than the average, that's two-thirds of an inch less extension on each arm. To put that in perspective, an unclipped nail would cover much of that difference.

3. We actually have a decent sense of his quickness. While competitive play would be a better measure, I doubt he'd be much slower in a real game. At the combine, Kanter's performance in the 3/4 sprint and the lane agility tests was comparable to the average SF performance, and put him ahead of most PFs and Cs in the database.
          No one's seen him play a game of significance for quite a long time now. Combine measurements should always be taken with a grain of salt as it is just a random set of stats from one day. Some guys could have a bad day, some a good day. An enormous amount of scouting goes into the draft process, and the fact that Kanter's reach is slightly longer than expected won't factor into the decision to draft him by any team. I think in a stronger draft he would slide a few spots because of the lost year, but because he's a big and it's a weak draft, he'll definitely be a top 5 pick.

Also, I think you misunderstand my comparison, I chose "hoffa" mostly because Araujo is a posterboy for stiff Cs. Could have chosen POB, or Yogi Stewart. To put the importance of that into perspective, I'd even consider Kevin Love a stiff. He's a 5th overall pick and a 20-15 guy, but man do his feet stay still on D. Even a slightly less stiff guy like David Lee is still a terrible defender. It's one thing if a guy tests quickness well, it's another if he naturally responds that way to action on the court.

Comment

kanter/bargnani would be crazyy!

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
              Crazy being the operative word Dunk.

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
                if kanter comes bargnani is gone forever...

Comment

kanter/davis would be crazyy!
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    kanter/davis would be crazyy!
                    THAT would be a potentially great frontcourt.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Screw Kanter. I'm going to be uber pissed if we get him. He is extremely overrated and hasn't proved jackshit. I'd much rather have Knight or Bismack.

Comment

Because those two have proven something? Aren't they both freshmen?

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                          Screw Kanter. I'm going to be uber pissed if we get him. He is extremely overrated and hasn't proved jackshit. I'd much rather have Knight or Bismack.
                          I'd take your comment more seriously if you didn't say that you'd rather have Bismack, who was not even considered a first round prospect until the Hoop Summit game.

Also, have you actually seen enough of him to conclude he's overrated? Or are you saying he's overrated because you haven't seen enough of him, in which case, that doesn't quite make sense.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                            Washington assistant coach Raphael Chillious saw Kanter for the first time while he was conducting a clinic in Greece for Nike. The 6-foot-11 inch Kanter now 19, was only 16 years old.

"Two things stood out right away," Chillious told NBA.com.

"He's got unbelievably soft hand. He caught everything. And he reminded me of a Moses Malone-type rebounder. I saw him go out of bounds on one side of the basket [to claim a rebound] and come back inbounds on the other. Moses was like that. This kid is just a high, high, high level, instinctive rebounder."

Moses Malone was the MVP of the NBA three times and is one of the NBA's 50 greatest players, one of the great rebounders in NBA history.

This comparison will only make some True Blue fans think once again what it would have been like for UK if Kanter was able to play this year.
                            High praise. I certainly wouldn't screw him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              High praise. I certainly wouldn't screw him.
                              Not that there's anything wrong with that.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

On a side note, that is one of the things that really impressed me about him in the games/clips I have watched of him. He seems to grab the ball any time he touches it. It actually reminded me of Chris Webber. Moses Malone is a bit of a stretch.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X