Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HW:Ingramreporting MIN wants DeMar; Litel #2/Flynn for #5/DD (post #81 for Litel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And just to throw fuel on the fire... this little tidbit from Hoopsworld's Jason Fleming.

Sign and trades are not allowable right now. They have to wait for free agency to begin, which won't happen until after the new CBA is finalized. It's quite possible the next CBA may not even allow them as we currently know them, especially if the cap is a lot harder. And no way Minny trades the #2 for DeRozan straight up.
    LINK

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      I don't think anyone here expects Derozen to "carry" us anywhere, just that he's a piece of the big puzzle that's more valuable than the #2 pick in this draft and any of the twolves players.

If you guys seriously think Beasley will help the team more than Derozen may god have mercy on your soul.
      What exactly does Demar do better than Beasley aside from the fact that he might be a better ambassador for Toronto?

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Yes, the #2 pick is an asset. But it's certainly not worth DeRozan. Is Williams going to be better than DeRozan? Maybe. But maybe not. It's certainly not worth the risk since I doubt the upside of Williams is more than DeRozan's.

Beasley, I don't know if he's even an asset, quite frankly. He's a less efficient and shorter version of Bargnani, but far more of a question mark because of his mental makeup. I don't know who's going to want that.

And I really don't like trading away a better players for smaller assets, especially with where the team is now. They already have a bunch of small assets. They don't need more. What they need are simply better players, not more lesser talented players.
        I agree with you on the point that the #2 pick is not worth Derozan, however, if the Wolves were to put together a package that doesn't require us giving back the #5 pick and offers up an overpaid package, I'd listen.

As for Beasley, I didn't hear or read of any off-the court or on the court problems last season in Minnesota. Has he turned the corner? Hard to say. If he was included in a package deal, would I take him? I'd think about it. He certainly has talent, you can't dispute that, but would the city of Toronto make him relapse? I don't think so. I mean, there are plenty of temptations on the road in terms of vices and he's managed to stay clean. And he's only 22. I'd say he's an asset.

Comment

I'm not sure either Irving or Williams will turn out to be a better pro than DeRozan might. If DeRozan stayed a couple more years at USC you might be seeing him talked about at a consensus number one for all we know. He tore it up in the second half of his freshman season.

Comment

Just throwing this out there, but something like the #5 Jose and Derozan for the #2 Wes Johnson, Flynn and Nikola Pekovic and a future 1st rounder
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Litel reporting #2/Flynn for #5/DD

Stephen Litel taking Ingram's nonsense in a chat and turning it in to an article. These guys have no clue. With that said, if it went down as reported here (#2/Flynn for #5/DD) I would question BC's sanity and what information Kahn has on him.

The Minnesota Timberwolves hold the highest draft pick in the team's history, selecting in the number two spot in the upcoming NBA draft. As is the luck of a franchise needing a bit of luck, they just missed out on the opportunity to draft in the number one slot, giving them even more options on draft night. However, with recent reports of Ricky Rubio finally ready to sign on the dotted line and join the team next year—if there is a season—it eases the pain of missing out on the top pick some and also helps aid in the decision making process.

After all the discussions and waiting for Rubio the past two seasons, you can expect he will receive as many of the minutes as he can handle. The Timberwolves have already discussed options to bring in another veteran point guard along with Luke Ridnour to help mentor Rubio during his first season in the league. That is, someone who would understand they would not receive much playing time behind both Rubio and Ridnour. That is one of the many reasons why Jonny Flynn is out there in trade rumors and it is expected he played his last game with the Timberwolves already.

This brings us back to the number two pick in the draft and what the Timberwolves should do with it.

Recent reports state the Timberwolves are in discussion with the Toronto Raptors regarding a deal which would send Jonny Flynn and the number two pick to Toronto for guard DeMar DeRozan and the number five selection. While the Timberwolves should continue their due diligence to see if they are able to get more from their assets than only DeRozan, if this is the best they can do, they should think long and hard about it.

Without question, the Timberwolves have a nice core of talented, young players. To name a few, Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, Wes Johnson and, apparently, Ricky Rubio. If they were able to add a player of DeRozan's athleticism and promise, it would be difficult to pass on it since he plays a position of need for the team. As a young player, he does have flaws in his game, such as his difficulty in shooting the three, but coming into his third year, he may be ready to completely break out.

Receiving a significant jump in playing time in his second season, DeRozan was able to bring the additional boost in production. He is shaping into a flat-out scorer, despite his limitations shooting the ball. The Timberwolves are coming off a season in which both Kevin Love and Michael Beasley made great strides in their own respective third seasons, so it is more than possible to imagine the same happening for DeRozan in Minnesota knowing his work ethic.

These recent reports also beg the question: what is the plan for the Timberwolves at the center position? Darko Milicic put up respectable numbers last year when properly focused and motivated, but the ability to project his production from game to game is nearly impossible. Nikola Pekovic showed progress throughout his rookie season and gave great effort, but still has a long ways to go in his development. While most teams in the NBA don't have a terribly imposing center dominating the ball, the Timberwolves can get away with adding big bodies to the mix, but do they really think Anthony Randolph can play a majority of his minutes at that position?

Both the shooting guard and center positions are the glaring weaknesses for the Timberwolves, but with the players they already have on the perimeter it may make more sense to address the center position first. Some reports have the Timberwolves trading down in the draft to pick up Enes Kanter to play the position, while also picking up any of a number of unnamed veterans and unknown positions as well.

This is why the DeRozan trade would make sense for the Timberwolves. If the trade goes down as currently discussed, the Timberwolves would be able to address both positions. DeRozan immediately takes over the shooting guard position and Minnesota could take a bit of a flyer on Kanter at the number five selection, adding to their center position. This could give the Timberwolves a hypothetical lineup that would look like this:

PG – Rubio, Ridnour
              SG – DeRozan, Ellington, Webster
              SF – Beasley, Johnson, Hayward
              PF – Love, Tolliver, Pekovic
              C – Randolph, Kanter, Milicic

Of course, there are many areas of flux in that rotation depending on how training camp would shake out and which players play their way into a starting spot or getting big minutes off the bench. However, as is well-known, draft days for the Minnesota Timberwolves are anything but ordinary. David Kahn may have something up his sleeve where he believes he is pulling one over on the rest of the league, but by moving on this trade - if it goes down as rumored - he could add more talent to his team. He would solidify roles more than they were last year as well, allowing the players a bit more comfort on the court.

More deals may present themselves before the draft or on draft day, so the Timberwolves should continue to shop around. However, if this is the deal that occurs, it would not be the worst thing for Minnesota as they continue to attempt to rebuild.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1ObuxSHN6

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20047
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jun 7, 2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

To put it in some perspective: the Wolves would like to move the 2nd pick in the draft probably because the think Irving and Williams are the best prospects in this draft (by far) and they do not need (the most) help at those positions. It's Rubio at pg, Beasley at sf and Love at pf. If they'd keep the pick, they'd trade Beasley according to the rumors. So any remarks about trading the 2nd pick AND Beasley can be canned. Some deal with Calderon + DD for Jonny Flynn + 2nd pick might not be so bad, freeing up some money in the process. This is a weak draft, but if that's because of the quick drop-off in talentlevel, it's not with the top two picks (if Irving is healthy...). Added benefit is that we drop another white European guy!
                Last edited by Soft Euro; Tue Jun 7, 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  Matt,there's a reason you didn't believe this, it's because it's bullshit. Let's get the #2 pick in a one-man draft for a guy that's already shown he's on his way to be a good NBA player. C'mon. They can't possibly think that highly of Kanter or Knight that they'll waste the last two years spent on DeRozan. Also, BC wants to accelerate the rebuild, not take a step back by giving up DD!

Fukin' Hoopsworld.
                  Amen, Ars.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Stephen Litel taking Ingram's nonsense in a chat and turning it in to an article. These guys have no clue. With that said, if it went down as reported here (#2/Flynn for #5/DD) I would question BC's sanity and what information Kahn has on him.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20047
                    Yeah, this is what I love about today's sports "journalism". Ingram says Flynn could possibly end up in Toronto, so Kennedy declares Toronto front-runners. Ingram says it would be in Minnesota's interest to trade Flynn + #2 for DeRozan + #5, so Litel states there have been ongoing discussions between the two teams about the trade as suggested. The best part is it's Hoopsworld guys feeding off of other Hoopsworld guys. Journalism has never been so incestuous.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                      Journalism has never been so incestuous.
                      +1
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                        If DeRozan was traded Toronto would lose a lot of their fan base including me. I would prefer Beasley over Love. I know Love is good but I've lost all trust in 7 foot white jumpshooters
                        I probably wouldn't say something like that out loud. That's like saying you'd rather have Monta Ellis than Kevin Durant. Love is a better and far more efficient scorer. He's a far, far better rebounder and he's a better defender. Plus, Love isn't a headcase. The ironic part is that Beasley actually takes way more jumpshots than Love does. So basically you'd rather have Beasley because he's black despite the fact that he's a much, much worse player.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

This is ridiculous. That is all I have to say about this article.

Comment

Problem with everything is often where there's smoke there's fire. The trade makes no sense from a Toronto perspective but who knows.

I feel nauseous.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

its all BS coming from journalist speculation, they call them opinion peices so they can practiclly claim anything. Like when it says "Toronto front-runners for Flynn" Its more like "This journalist believes that Toronto is a front-runner for flynn" and therefor doesn't have to approach any sources with confirmation, because the only person that needs to confirm a belief is the journalist. If I had his job I could pretty much throw "Lebron coming back to Cleveland; A Possibility?" and make blogs go crazy and my sight hits explode. The point is, dont take any of this seriously, nothing thats written on hoopsworld is credible. I haven't seen one newspaper report about these rumours or even one credible blog. Demar isn't going anywhere, we all know about how proud Colangelo is of his draft picks.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Even as the 6th pick in 2009, flynn did little to prove his skills and potential to even be a NBA starting pg on the wolves, I do think that if Toronto wants flynn then there's a high chance that they will get him, but not in the expense of Derozan, but Calderon instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X