Casey Is Our Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey Is Our Man

If Dougie is accurate on this one (and he is usually is), then there's a good chance that current Mavs assistant Dwane Casey will be the next head coach of the Raps.

And it appears the interest is mutual.

Casey wasn’t willing to discuss his intentions with the Star but several league sources insist he’s hugely interested in the job. The Raptors are also being close-mouthed about the search to replace Triano but league sources say team officials have already spoken to Casey’s agent.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...nt-dwane-casey

He mentions that the Warriors had shown strong interest as well. However, reports are now saying that Mark Jackson will be the guy for Golden State, increasing the odds that Casey ends up in TO.

so what is there to know about Dwane Casey?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

The article is pretty interesting and if Doug is writing about something, then it usually has some traction. I don't know much about Casey, so if he is our next coach, I'll have to do some reading.
      Last edited by RaptorDan; Tue Jun 7, 2011, 02:51 AM.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        Casey was the head coach for the T-Wolves for about a year, or so. He didn't get them anywhere, but he didn't embarrass himself, either. What he apparently didn't learn is that coaching a bad team isn't necessarily a good career move.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

All I know of Casey was he was being mentioned here as a potential coach a while back when Babcock was the GM here (due to their Minnesota connection). Having coached under Jim Carrey, er, Rick Carlisle is definitely not bad. I'm not surprised that he's potentially in the lead for certain reasons. It may be a reach for some but please hear me out.

Houston hired McHale because they now have several unproven and young big men in Patterson and Thabeet. Mchale has vowed to address their paint issues as coach and to bring along their young front court (presumably sans Yao).

Golden State hires Mark Jackson presumably to help and balance their very young yet potent back court. The team desperately wants them to work together and refuses to trade either one of them. It was a logical move to hire a former PG as coach.

Why Dwayne Casey? Well, there's the defense factor (also being assistants under two capable coaches in Saunders and Carlisle). The most critical factor of all - Casey has had years to observe how Nowitzki operates as a big man and a focal point of offense (where and how he plays and who his frontcourt partner is). Yes, I said it, he's the front-runner because he'll be the next coach to bring along Bargnani (and presumably keep him accountable, if there's ever such a thing around here). Frank being the coach would actually be shocking considering he'd probably have AB7 shipped out of town by November if he fails to absorb his system. This coaching decision alone (should it happen), tells me (my opinion) that Bargs is here to stay.
          Last edited by Balls of Steel; Tue Jun 7, 2011, 07:29 AM.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

He coached the Wolves for a year and a half and they sucked. The end. Seriously though, he may have a lot of the attributes that Colangelo is looking for but one of the most important attribute Colangelo mentioned was an experienced, established coach. Casey has lots of experience but he doesn't have hardly any head coaching experience. He's 54 by the way.

Comment

he is class enough not to announce it during the finals
              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                He coached the Wolves for a year and a half and they sucked. The end. Seriously though, he may have a lot of the attributes that Colangelo is looking for but one of the most important attribute Colangelo mentioned was an experienced, established coach. Casey has lots of experience but he doesn't have hardly any head coaching experience. He's 54 by the way.
                To his credit the Wolves sucked after the fiasco which was Joe Smith and poor free agent signings/trades/management by McHale.

His first year with Minnesota they were 33-49. When he was fired the Wolves were 20-20 and finished the year 12-30.

Comment

Right. So they improved a little and?... There is no way anyone in here can without a doubt give this guy a great review given the amount of real head coaching experience he has. I would much rather Woodson or Franks. Colangelo said he was going for an established, experienced coach.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    The most critical factor of all - Casey has had years to observe how Nowitzki operates as a big man and a focal point of offense (where and how he plays and who his frontcourt partner is). Yes, I said it, he's the front-runner because he'll be the next coach to bring along Bargnani (and presumably keep him accountable, if there's ever such a thing around here). Frank being the coach would actually be shocking considering he'd probably have AB7 shipped out of town by November if he fails to absorb his system. This coaching decision alone (should it happen), tells me (my opinion) that Bargs is here to stay.
                    This statement makes so much sense its nauseating.

Being held accountable didn't work. Not being held accountable was even worse. So it makes sense to go back to the being held accountable. God forbid the team actually cuts its losses (which it should have done 3 years ago) when they can keep going all in. Let it ride Gil... let it ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiVVJ6Rxs9M

... as much as I want Bargnani moved, I won't believe its happening until I see it happen.

Comment

Colangelo could have said that just to justify letting Triano go. I remember one time Bryan Colangelo referred to Charlie Villanueva as one of the cornerstones of our franchise.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Right. So they improved a little and?... There is no way anyone in here can without a doubt give this guy a great review given the amount of real head coaching experience he has. I would much rather Woodson or Franks. Colangelo said he was going for an established, experienced coach.
                        My only point was there was improvement and he was let go to disasterous results for MIN. They have not sniffed .500 since he was fired.

Personally, I would much rather Woodson or Adelman but Adelman doesn't appear to have any interest in coaching anymore. I think I would go Casey over Frank to be honest - no particular reason why, I am not a fan of his so it is a baseless, opinionated comment on my part.

Comment

Coaching a team to a horrible finish one season, then getting them to play at a mediocre level the next and being fired for it doesn't ease my mind Matt... I see what you're saying, there's hope but I've personally had it with the constant hiring of head coaches with little to no head coaching experience. The Raptors have hired three assistant coaches in a row now to take the lead. I'm sick of it. I'm all for giving people chances to succeed but let some other team do it for a change.

Comment

Coaching a team to a horrible finish one season, then getting them to play at a mediocre level the next and being fired for it doesn't ease my mind Matt... I see what you're saying, there's hope but I've personally had it with the constant hiring of head coaches with little to no head coaching experience. The Raptors have hired three assistant coaches in a row now to take the lead. I'm sick of it. I'm all for giving people chances to succeed but let some other team do it for a change.
                            And I am in agreement with that. The sad truth is though it wouldn't be his first head coaching gig which would be a step up for the Raptors.

With regards to his experience in MIN I just don't think the man was given a fair shot. Using Woodson as an example, he took over a 28 win team and won 13 games his first season followed by 26, 30, 37, 47, 53 win seasons. I'm not saying Casey could have or would have done the same, I'm just saying he didn't quite get an opportunity to do it either.

Comment

Yeah but that's not our problem. Our problem is that we have to endure GM's cheaping out on guys who aren't established and hoping that they hit a dinger. My view is that it's a hell of a lot easier to hit one out of the park when you're not blindfolded. I don't think it's so much to ask for when I say I would like them to sign a guy who's made his mistakes with another organization.

Comment

Working...
                              X