Casey or Frank next Raptors coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marz wrote: View Post
    Dwayne Casey will be our new Kevin O'Neil.
    Actually Frank would be more like O'neil imo.

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    If we get Casey I hope he keeps Dre around for another year. Having a defensive mentality and no prior relationship with him might be enough to finally get/keep him motivated. If Dre isn't playing up to standard ship him out at the deadline or next summer. With his talent I would wait to see what a legit coach can do with him before shipping him out at a discounted price.
    I lean more towards now, and who's to say he would be shipped out at a discounted price? It is more likely that if he cannot improve his D under, Casey (if hired), then his value would drop considerably more than any perceived amount now. It's a risk. Personally, I ship him out. It remains to be seen what BC does.

Comment

Lawrence Frank is my choice. Either way, this team is going to be lucky to win 30 games next year.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

keefec wrote: View Post
        Sometimes record doesn't show everything..
        People must remember that its been almost 10 years since he coached the wolves and it's not like he didn't learn anything at all from the past 10 years...
        Not quite ... not sure where your info is coming from - try this:
        He was relieved of his coaching duties on Jan. 25, 2007 while in playoff contention with a 20-20 record.
        http://www.nba.com/coachfile/dwane_casey/index.html

By my math 2011-2007=4 ... 4 years ago ... not 'almost 10' ... now you know, and knowledge is power!
        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
          Actually Frank would be more like O'neil imo.

I lean more towards now, and who's to say he would be shipped out at a discounted price? It is more likely that if he cannot improve his D under, Casey (if hired), then his value would drop considerably more than any perceived amount now. It's a risk. Personally, I ship him out. It remains to be seen what BC does.
          I'm not sure IF it would be discounted but after the year end interviews and his stats dropping in both rebounds and blocks I'd assume it wouldn't be sky high. With Demar making huge strides as a player and improvement in Davis, Amir, Bayless and JJ I think the scoring load won't be so heavy for Dre next year. If he can get his rebound (6+) and block (1.4) numbers back to what they were in 09/10 then he could raise his value or be worth keeping around. he's young enough for a rebuild and his contract isn't bad for a 3 option. Personally I'd give him another chance on a very short leash.

Comment

man i wanted JVG or adelman to be the next coach, im ticked if this is true
            ya dun noe

Comment

Im not sure how we can judge Casey on being the next Kevin O'Neil and not Frank. Frank was in the bottom 8 or so in FG% his last 3 seasons as a coach. Either one is going to be drastically different that what the Raps have now. There's a lot of similarities between the two, both are 'screamers' and play defense first. Both have pretty crappy overall coaching records.

Personally I'm leaning towards Casey, mostly because he's been part of a winning environment for a while and Frank's departure didn't end so well.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                If we get Casey I hope he keeps Dre around for another year. Having a defensive mentality and no prior relationship with him might be enough to finally get/keep him motivated. If Dre isn't playing up to standard ship him out at the deadline or next summer. With his talent I would wait to see what a legit coach can do with him before shipping him out at a discounted price.
                First its because he needs more minutes
                Then its because he needs to start
                Then its because he should be a PF
                Then its because the coach is to hard on him
                Then its because he's not the main option
                Then its because he is the main option
                Then its because the coach is to soft on him
                Then its because he needs to be a PF again
                Then its because he needs to come off the bench
                Now I wonder... will this next coach motivate him by controlling his mintues?

or will we realize that he has been given 5 years and more opportunities to prove himself than 95% of the players that walk into this league. At some point enough is enough... this Bargnani experiment has set the team back for the last 3 years. No more waisting time.

Get out the salami and cheese momma, this Andrea in Toronto expirement is over.

Comment

From ESPN
                  Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey are on the Toronto Raptors' list of coaching candidates, but sources say there is a strong third candidate: Oklahoma City Thunder assistant coach Maurice Cheeks.

Comment

Just as I had mentioned earlier, I was hoping Mo Cheeks had an opportunity to interview and it looks like he is a third option. I think he would be perfect for this organization. Stand up fellow, and a defensive minded coach. He was an amazing defender when he was playing, and he brought that to his coaching style. Good luck Mo!

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                      First its because he needs more minutes
                      Then its because he needs to start
                      Then its because he should be a PF
                      Then its because the coach is to hard on him
                      Then its because he's not the main option
                      Then its because he is the main option
                      Then its because the coach is to soft on him
                      Then its because he needs to be a PF again
                      Then its because he needs to come off the bench
                      Now I wonder... will this next coach motivate him by controlling his mintues?

or will we realize that he has been given 5 years and more opportunities to prove himself than 95% of the players that walk into this league. At some point enough is enough... this Bargnani experiment has set the team back for the last 3 years. No more waisting time.

Get out the salami and cheese momma, this Andrea in Toronto expirement is over.
                      +1

Comment

A Rocket fans perspective.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2011/5/...or-dwane-casey

With the news that the Rockets have apparently slimmed down their coaching options to three guys after seemingly interviewing every available guy who was willing to make the trip into Houston, I have a personal clear favorite.

Dwane Casey.

I know he may not be the name that Rockets fans were hoping to hear and he certainly won't make anyone forget about Rick Adelman or Jeff Van Gundy anytime soon, but Dwane Casey is exactly what a young team like this needs.

More after the jump.

Star-divide

When Dwane Casey was given the position of head coach of the lowly Minnesota Timberwolves back in 2005, inheriting the mess that Kevin McHale had left behind, within a season he had a lackluster roster sitting at .500 around the halfway mark. He had a team full of guys no one else in the league wanted, short of Kevin Garnett, and had them competing for a playoff spot in the stacked Western Conference. But then, the aforementioned Kevin Garnett decided that he didn't like being told what to do since Casey wasn't a "yes man" of a coach. KG completely sabotaged his position and the team owner, who feared losing his only attractive position player did away with Casey. The result for the Wolves was a 12-30 finish the rest of the way under interim coach Randy Wittman.

Casey falls under the category of "Young Coaches in waiting" but at 54, he isn't exactly young. But he is looked at as a guy that has many executives around the league wondering why he doesn't have a head coaching position as of yet. For some reason the Bulls and the Clippers chose Vinny Del Negro over him both times he had a head coaching interview. But it appears with the interest around the league Casey is getting, he will finally get his opportunity in 2011.

Lawrence Frank is a decent fall back option (notice I'm not even mentioning Kevin McHale? Yeah, there's a reason), but I just believe Casey would be a better fit here than Frank. The team has been awfully tight-lipped about how the interview with Casey went and he has been reported to have had an interview with Golden State last night.

My opinion is this; if Dwane Casey is your guy, hire him. Don't risk losing him to another team because you want to get cute and interview every single player from the 1994 & 1995 Rockets. I'm sure Pete Chillcut has better things to do. But unless Stan Van Gundy does become available, which is said to be unlikely, I think Casey is the guy. And I'd be fully on board with that for several reasons. And a big one would be that it means we don't hire Mike Woodson or Mike Brown.

Comment

This comment reeks of cheapness...

That said, a source close to the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment board told the Sun that opinion is split at the board level on whether a new coach needs to be in place before the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement expires on July 1st.
                          http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/09...-raptors-coach

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6487916

"I'm shocked that we still have him here," Carlisle said recently. "He's that good. That situation will be addressed at the right time, but my level of respect for Dwane and what he's brought our team is extremely high."

Comment

The more I think about it the more I don't think Casey is the best choice. He obviously enjoyed great success this season but that team was stacked with playoff tested veterans, I'm not so sure how well he'd do with our young, inexperienced team. A guy like Cheeks who always seems to get his teams to overachieve and really help develop guard play seems like the best choice.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hollinger's little blurb on Casey:

Let’s start with the zone defenses. Dallas was widely regarded as the league’s best zone team throughout the season, thanks in part to the two 7-footers in the frontcourt, but also due to Carlisle’s willingness to switch to it and assistant Dwane Casey’s ability to teach it. (Seriously, would somebody give Casey another a head-coaching gig already?)
                                Source - Click here

Comment

Working...
                                X