Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey or Frank next Raptors coach

DALLAS—And then there were two.

According to multiple NBA sources, the Raptors have narrowed the search for a new coach to two men: Dallas Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey and Boston Celtic assistant Lawrence Frank.

Sources say president and general manager Bryan Colangelo has a strong desire to have a new coach in place as long before the June 23 NBA draft as possible but he cannot even begin interviewing Casey until the Mavericks are finished their NBA final series against the Miami Heat.

A look at the two finalists:

DWANE CASEY

Current situation: First year as assistant coach with Dallas Mavericks.

Head coaching experience: Had 53-69 record in a season and a half with Minnesota Timberwolves, hired in 2005, fired in 2007; no playoff appearances.

Strengths: Excellent defensive tactician; coached at a variety of levels — Japan, college, a decade and a half as an NBA assistant; known as a disciplinarian who is tough but fair with players.

Weaknesses: A season and a half isn’t a lot of time as an NBA head coach; some questions arose about his rotations and use of personnel in Minnesota; may need some help developing innovative offensive schemes.

Miscellaneous: Has been a finalist for a handful of jobs, most notably Sacramento a year ago and was in running for Houston job this month; gets most of the credit for improvement in Dallas’s defence this season.

LAWRENCE FRANK

Current situation: First year as assistant coach with Boston Celtics.

Head coaching experience: Had 225-241 record in six-plus seasons as head coach of New Jersey Nets; three playoff appearances.

Strengths: Meticulous preparation and game-planning; is given much credit for no drop-off in Boston defence post-Tom Thibodeau; known in Jersey for excellent end-of-game play-calling.

Weaknesses: Too autocratic, sometimes takes too much on himself and doesn’t delegate authority well … too impetuous offensively, changing schemes too often … can wear people down with his personality.

Miscellaneous: The more familiar of the finalists, primarily because of his time in New Jersey; once worked in Vancouver and once worked for Kevin O’Neill.

Raptor coaches
    Casey or Frank next Raptors coach - thestar.com

PLEASE LET IT NOT BE FRANK!
    Dwane Casey
    78.38%
    Lawrence Frank
    21.62%

I can't have someone younger than me coach the Raps, so I prefer Casey.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

I hope we get Casey. With Casey in place knowing he isn't great at O we could probably keep Jays as an assistant and let him take care of the O (since he has done a great in this time here) and let Casey focus on D.

Comment

The choice here is obviously Frank, so welcome to our team Mr. Casey.

Comment

I have a feeling BC is gonna rear naked choke PJ out this club, at least I hope so.
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
            The choice here is obviously Frank, so welcome to our team Mr. Casey.
            How is the obvious choice Frank? Look at what he did with the Nets when he had a young team. They started out 0-16 (worst in NBA history) before he was kicked out.

Comment

Casey please! just look at the how the mavs play Defense

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                How is the obvious choice Frank? Look at what he did with the Nets when he had a young team. They started out 0-16 (worst in NBA history) before he was kicked out.
                No kidding. Frank had the luxury of Vince/RJ/Kidd in their primes when he was successful, and even then only had one season of more than 42 wins.

Plus, if Colangelo really wanted Frank, I don't think he would bother waiting this long for the Finals to be over just to interview Casey.
                Last edited by jrdyck; Wed Jun 8, 2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Has there been any reports about the Raptors interviewing anyone? I haven't seen a thing from the local hacks before this.

I am going to assume that BC isn't interviewing only 2 guys. There has to be more to it than this....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Has there been any reports about the Raptors interviewing anyone? I haven't seen a thing from the local hacks.

I am going to assume that BC isn't interviewing only 2 guys. There has to be more to it than this....
                    That doesn't say he's only interviewing 2 guys, from the reports I read he was interviewing a lot of people. That is saying he narrowed down his search to 2.

Comment

Someone mentioned it earlier, in the thread but if Frank was #1 on the list then this thread wouldn't exist. That doesn't mean Casey is #1, it could just mean that the list isn't ranked yet but Casey is interesting enough to put the whole process on hold.

Comment

The more I read up on Casey, the more I like. For all the Raptors fans chanting the need for defense, this guy preaches and bleeds it. Casey does have 1.5 year as head coach in NBA which is 1.5 years more than each of the last three Raptors coaches. Also, D'Antoni had a brief experience in Denver (50 games, 14-36) as head coach before getting his shot in Phoenix and was 52 when that opportunity arose. Casey, from all accounts, did a phenomenal job in MIN considering what he was given to work with and has worked for great coaches in Carlisle, McMillan, and George Karl. This is also his 2nd NBA championship appearance as an assistant coach. He is a demanding coach who preaches defense - to me this what the Raptors need at this point in time.

Comment

like. For all the Raptors fans chanting the need for defense, this guy preaches and bleeds it. Casey does have 1.5 year as head coach in NBA which is 1.5 years more than each of the last three Raptors coaches. Also, D'Antoni had a brief experience in Denver (50 games, 14-36) as head coach before getting his shot in Phoenix and was 52 when that opportunity arose. Casey, from all accounts, did a phenomenal job in MIN considering what he was given to work with and has worked for great coaches in Carlisle, McMillan, and George Karl. This is also his 2nd NBA championship appearance as an assistant coach. He is a demanding coach who preaches defense - to me this what the Raptors need at this point in time.
                          Am thinking the same thing. Besides what is wrong with 54? If he coaches to 65 he will be here for 11 or more yrs.

Comment

Added Poll.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                              Look at this roster. LOOK AT IT. And after he got canned, that team seriously had people wondering if they'd be the worst in history. And the whole STILL being far, far away from having a winning record to this day and stuff.

That team wasn't young, it was truly devoid of talent.

jrdyck wrote: View Post
                              No kidding. Frank had the luxury of Vince/RJ/Kidd in their primes when he was successful, and even then only had one season of more than 42 wins.

Plus, if Colangelo really wanted Frank, I don't think he would bother waiting this long for the Finals to be over just to interview Casey.
                              Those teams also had weak frontcourts and even worse bench depth. I mean, the White Mamba got 1000+ minutes in a season. In the 06-07 season, Jefferson only played in 55 games. Next season, Kidd only played in 51 games. The season after that they won the same number of games (34) after trading away Kidd and Jefferson

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Someone mentioned it earlier, in the thread but if Frank was #1 on the list then this thread wouldn't exist. That doesn't mean Casey is #1, it could just mean that the list isn't ranked yet but Casey is interesting enough to put the whole process on hold.
                              More like whatever is left BC's is on the line, so he's finally truly taking his time and considering all options.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we took Casey, but I strongly prefer Frank over him.

Comment

Working...
                              X