Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC European Interview for Basket USA

Via Google Translate:

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo has come of scouts players in camp in Treviso. Tomorrow, he returns to Toronto to begin interviews for the vacant post of coach of the Raptors.

He agreed to answer our questions about the camp in Treviso, his search for a coach and the future of his assistant Maurizio Gherardini.

What is your opinion after that first day in Treviso?
    I never talk about specific players that I have scouter. Generally I can say that there was a lot of interesting young players. We came here because the game has gone global and it is a good opportunity to come see the best prospects in Europe. 20% of NBA players come from overseas so I think it's a good thing to come here.

There are many French people in this camp ...
    France has many talents, and it seems that this is now one of the best countries in the youth training with Spain. It is necessarily obliged to come to scout players at Treviso.

To return to the Raptors, what happens there with Leandro Barbosa?
    I know he intends to test the free agent market or eventually return to Brazil. For now, I do not know of any that I have not yet had his agent. But at the same time, he tests the market, there will still be in a position to sign over several years. Anyway, it's one of my favorite players.

Where are you searching for a coach?
    We're still working on it. I return tomorrow in Toronto. I have several interviews scheduled this week but I can not say more for now.

Would you continue the adventure with Maurizio Gherardini (assistant GM) is out of contract?
    Maurizio is one of the most important of our staff. There are many things going in the direction, but we must sit around a table and see what it is for the future.
    http://www.basketusa.com/news/70853/...medium=twitter

Is Barbosa crazy enough to opt out as BC hints by saying he'll test the free-agent market?

Me thinks no.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
      Is Barbosa crazy enough to opt out as BC hints by saying he'll test the free-agent market?

Me thinks no.
      Reports did surface a couple of days ago that Barbosa's agent is looking into options for him to play in Brazil for next year. It seems crazy to give up a $7+mil pay day...but if Barbosa is not confident that there will be a season, this is a chance to still make some money during an off year.

I would not be surprised at all to see him walk.
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post

Me thinks no.
        Me hopes so.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Me hopes so.
          Me to, except for the fact that the Raps would be losing a decent trade-chip for nothing.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Me to, except for the fact that the Raps would be losing a decent trade-chip for nothing.
            Since BC says Barbosa is one of his favourite players, then it is likely he would not trade him but more likely re-sign him to multi-year. I agree with your POV that my butt in the GM chair is looking to trade him.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I look at it from the opposite angle: they gain a trade chip.

With the new CBA coming, while the exact changes are not known, changes are coming and it is going to result in lower salaries. This draft, much like the last trade deadline, should be crazy with transactions.

Having Barbosa opt out creates $7.6M in cap space the Raptors can use to acquire salary or make a deal work with a team above the salary cap without having to worry about sending back contracts.

Cap space is more than free agents.

Comment

I like the "...continue the adventure with Maurizio..." line. "Adventure"...lol.

Apart from possibily acting as chaperone for AB I'd be interested in finding out about his contributions to the org. ..... excepting setting up dinner reservations for BC in Venice & Milan.

Comment

Gonna be an interesting off-season.
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...osa-to-brazil/
                    The story reports that Flamengo is trying to bring a big name to its basketball club and that they have been in conversations with Leandro’s brother and adviser Artur Barbosa.

I spoke with Artur to get his take on the rumor. He confirmed that he has been in conversation with Flamengo as well as other clubs in Brazil. While the Barbosas have stated that they love Toronto, according to Artur, “it would be irresponsible to not consider the Brazilian option. We are from Brazil and we see that the Brazilian economy is booming. There is a lot of money being invested in Brazil these days.”

Artur went on to say that a few Brazilian clubs, including Flamengo, have told him that they are going to send Leandro contract proposals sometime over the next 7-10 days. Leandro returning to Brazil makes some sense within the greater context of Brazilian sport.
                    Last edited by bboyskinnylegs; Mon Jun 13, 2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I like barbosa's spark and his contract as trade lub, but if he leaves I won't shed no tears.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

its not like there is a starting job for him here in toronto or at least as long as DD is here and its not like we are competeing for a title. so I think it would be a good thing for him to grow his countries basketball club while the nba is looking at a for sure lockout.

Comment

If I was his agent I would just negotiate a contract that allows him to go back to his NBA team once the lockout/labour dispute is settled. Opting out does not seem very wise, and far from necessary for him to see action in Brazil during the lockout.

Stern has said as much himself, once there is a lockout, the players can play in whatever league they choose.

Comment

I was worried initially that if Barbosa opted out the Raps would be losing a significant trade asset. The more I think about it, though, the teams most in need of Barbosa (that is, contenders and those now looking to contend) are those teams who would likely have little to offer of interest to Toronto.

Take Chicago, for example. Who/what does Chicago have that would be useful for Toronto, that they'd be willing to send over in a trade? I can't think of much. The Clippers? They could use Barbosa, definitely. But they're not sending Griffin or Gordon. Bledsoe, perhaps? Salaries don't work at all. Boston could definitely use Barbosa, but who do they have? Toronto's not getting any of their starters, and I don't want any part of Glen Davis. Miami, New York, San Antonio (think they'd give up Blair for Barbosa??), the Lakers...these teams all could use Barbosa, but none of them can provide what Toronto needs.

Denver, i'll admit, would be intriguing, as would Memphis. Still.

My point restated though is, again, the more I think about it, the more I'm liking the extra cap space that would be available (regardless of how unattractive the Raptors are at the moment to quality free agents). Considering the team is already under the cap, Toronto would be free now to go after a player in the 10m range and still have cap space. That's decent for sure. And there are two upcoming RFA centers that Toronto should definitely be trying to pick up.

And if that doesn't work, as Matt52 said,

Having Barbosa opt out creates $7.6M in cap space the Raptors can use to acquire salary or make a deal work with a team above the salary cap without having to worry about sending back contracts.

Cap space is more than free agents.
                            Definitely useful in picking up draft picks at the least.

Comment

Better translation:

Barbosa probably isn't worth the $7.6 million salary that he's scheduled to collect next season, but Colangelo called him "one of my favorite players" and it's possible that he might be back on a multi-year deal next year. However, his most prolific days may be behind him, and it's also a realistic scenario that Barbosa winds up overseas in the face of a potential lockout.
                              http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=161175&spln=1

Comment

Working...
                              X