Casey and Chandler to the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I know what the arguments of signing him are. The arguments for not signing him are much convincing.

Look at the number of teams with a lot of money tied up in players who, while good, are not all-stars. I'd rather suffer through a couple of seasons to set up a foundation with a team that would be a contender rather than settle for low playoff seeds. The ceiling on signing Chandler would be low playoff seeds in my opinion.
    I don't really understand your logic on this one. What do you suggest gets done? It's been known we need a defensive C for years now.. can you name someone in the league who could fill the void at C for us better than he would for less or same $? I'm not sayin BC should blow the bank on Chandler but from what it seems like you don't want the team to improve, and improve the position that we need to the most. Suffer through a couple seasons? Raps fans have been suffering.. we want the team to get better now. I don't know what arguments are more convincing

Comment

Akinyele wrote: View Post
      I don't really understand your logic on this one. What do you suggest gets done? It's been known we need a defensive C for years now.. can you name someone in the league who could fill the void at C for us better than he would for less or same $? I'm not sayin BC should blow the bank on Chandler but from what it seems like you don't want the team to improve, and improve the position that we need to the most. Suffer through a couple seasons? Raps fans have been suffering.. we want the team to get better now. I don't know what arguments are more convincing
      Signing Chandler, who will be 29 next season, helps in the near term to win a few more games. However we are talking about a 22 win team that was also one of the youngest in the league. Let the young players develop and improve. Signing an injury prone C to a huge contract - which will be his last one - is not smart. Are Raptors fans going to be much more cheerful with a 30 win team, that has no cap space, and is picking at 8-12?

A big part of the Raptors suffering has been trying to piece together a team and reach maximum potential in the here and now. It was done with VC/McGrady and it was done with Bosh. We keep trying to build a team to get players to stay or take satisfication in making the playoffs versus building a team that will have a foundation to compete for years to come.

Unfortunately, to sign Chandler it will take BC blowing the bank - and that is my problem. For the amount of money it would take to sign Chandler, the Raps would be better off looking at DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol through restricted free agency or drafting Kanter or Valanciunas. Of course the biggest reason the Raps have needed a legit C in recent years is because we've had Bosh and Bargnani - neither of whom are physical or defensively inclined (especially Bargnani).

The reason for bringing in Chandler is lo once again lighten the responsibilitiy and load for Bargnani because it is obvious he isn't up to doing his part. Fans have been fed up for years, it appears teammates are now fed up, and even Colangelo is starting to get fed up. Maybe we can erase this 'need' of Chandler by getting rid of root of the problem.

By the way, if Chandler was 25/26 and did not have the injury history he does, I would advocate for this signing. Unforutnately he will be 29 this coming season, likely 31 or 32 and past his peak when ED, DD, and whoever they draft this year and next are ready to compete.

Comment

I'm not trying to build a team based on making anyone stay, as I have my own personal thoughts of how a team should be built, I'm all for old-school defensive C's.. and I believe he could make a bigger difference than you believe. I think the raps should win 30 games even if they don't have Chandler next year so I'm still surprised you think they'll only win that many games. The contract would be an issue, but Marc Gasol in my opinion should command more, and D Jordan seems untouchable.

Comment

[QUOTE=Akinyele;88120]
          I'm not trying to build a team based on making anyone stay, as I have my own personal thoughts of how a team should be built, I'm all for old-school defensive C's..
          The getting players to stay was the driving factor but the end result was the same: mediocrity. I would like to see patience and perseverance in building a team to compete for years rather than get a player that might take us to 30-40 wins.

and I believe he could make a bigger difference than you believe. I think the raps should win 30 games even if they don't have Chandler next year so I'm still surprised you think they'll only win that many games.
          The Raps might win 30 as is considering a new coach and draft pick and the injuries this season. However, 30 is still awful. Even if Chandler takes us to 40, and that is a big if, we are still outside the playoffs or out in the first round with a 12-16 draft pick awaiting. The key to rebuilding, especially in a soon to be more restrictive CBA environment is flexibility - Chandler would kill the flexibility and hardly make us a legit playoff team - let alone a contender.

The contract would be an issue, but Marc Gasol in my opinion should command more, and D Jordan seems untouchable.
          They probably are both untouchable as they are restricted free agents. Ideally we can draft Kanter and he reaches his potential. The pairing of him and Davis appear to be, in my opinion, a balanced duo.

Comment

I agree about patience and building a team, and I agree his contract wouldn't allow much flexibility, and I also think that Chandler will sign somewhere else. I'm simply putting it out there that I think his presence on the court could add a huge boost defensively and even a little offensively. If we could get Sammy D at a hometown discount I'd be all over that. I'm an optimistic raptor fan and I think in a few years they could be a very solid team, but I think the philosophy of the team needs to change. If you have a vocal leader like Tyson(JJ Barea was quoted as saying he was there "KG") I believe it could put us in the right direction. I don't know enough about Kanter to comment, but I've never been a fan of European or just international centers to begin with. From what people say it seems like he could do it all, but they key word is could. I just think the market for solid defensive Cs is huge and there are not enough of them to go around, so I would love to snatch one if i could. I just have memories of Saer Sene being drafted for the Sonics (they also drafted Johan Petro) and had two other Euro big men on their team that did nothing at all and never panned out to be anything. Chandler's age doesn't necessarily scare me either.

Comment

Akinyele wrote: View Post
              I agree about patience and building a team, and I agree his contract wouldn't allow much flexibility, and I also think that Chandler will sign somewhere else. I'm simply putting it out there that I think his presence on the court could add a huge boost defensively and even a little offensively. If we could get Sammy D at a hometown discount I'd be all over that. I'm an optimistic raptor fan and I think in a few years they could be a very solid team, but I think the philosophy of the team needs to change. If you have a vocal leader like Tyson(JJ Barea was quoted as saying he was there "KG") I believe it could put us in the right direction. I don't know enough about Kanter to comment, but I've never been a fan of European or just international centers to begin with. From what people say it seems like he could do it all, but they key word is could. I just think the market for solid defensive Cs is huge and there are not enough of them to go around, so I would love to snatch one if i could. I just have memories of Saer Sene being drafted for the Sonics (they also drafted Johan Petro) and had two other Euro big men on their team that did nothing at all and never panned out to be anything. Chandler's age doesn't necessarily scare me either.
              You don't need to be a European big to be a bust in the NBA. I'm not in agreement on anything European related in the post. All draft picks are to some extent a gamble minus legit franchise talent.

I'm in agreement the team needs some solid defensive bigs and vocal leadership.

I hear where you are coming from on Chandler - obviously we have a difference of opinion. I'm all for agreeing to disagree.

Comment

Working...
              X