Could Ed Davis be our Tyson Chandler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Ed Davis be our Tyson Chandler?

If Casey is made our head Coach, do you think we could use Ed Davis the same way that the Mavs have used Tyson Chandler?
    I have always been against Ed Davis being moved to the five as I think he has a lot more potential at the four but he is actually about the same size a chanldler and has a very similar skill set. If BC intends to bring Casey in to implement a defense similar to what the Mavs used to beat the Heat, the main things we would be lacking are elite level defenders at the three and five. If Ed Davis puts on the weight he said he would and James Johnson takes a step forward defensively, I think that our current roster may be able to make a fairly significant improvement defensively under Casey. We obviously wouldn't be as good as the Mave as Dirk is so much better than Bargs at both ends it hurts, but we may be able to implement a similar game plan and have some success.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

I think people underestimate how long Tyson Chandler is, he is 6'11.5" in flat feet, 7'1" in shoes, he is a legit 7 footer. Ed may put on the weight and has good length, but he is not all that close to being the same size as Tyson. Saying that is like saying Demar is actually about the same size as Kevin Durant.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      I think people underestimate how long Tyson Chandler is, he is 6'11.5" in flat feet, 7'1" in shoes, he is a legit 7 footer. Ed may put on the weight and has good length, but he is not all that close to being the same size as Tyson. Saying that is like saying Demar is actually about the same size as Kevin Durant.
      I thought the same thing at first but if you check Draft Express you'll see Chandler actually only has a 2" standing reach advantage on Davis. Given that Chandler's wingspan likely hasn't increased too much and that Ed has a better vertical leap, I think that they are actually very simialar in terms of their ability to alter shots and defend.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/
      http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...er-1974/stats/
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

ya i think ed would play well at the 5 spot. he has the length and will hopefully gain the weight to play the 5 spot and move amir into the starting line up at the four and dorsey can back him up.

Comment

I think Ed Davis can be a lot more than Tyson Chandler long term.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            I thought the same thing at first but if you check Draft Express you'll see Chandler actually only has a 2" standing reach advantage on Davis. Given that Chandler's wingspan likely hasn't increased too much and that Ed has a better vertical leap, I think that they are actually very simialar in terms of their ability to alter shots and defend.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/
            http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...er-1974/stats/
            i totally agree, no one cares about height anymore. its abuot standing reach and vertical. look at all the biyombo hype. Bismack biyombo is only 6'9 but his standing reach could make him a solid center. if jermaine oneal played PF/C i see no reason ed couldnt.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I think Ed Davis can be a lot more than Tyson Chandler long term.
              I agree: long terms Ed could be buch better than Chandler. However, if he plays like Chandler in this coming season I think you have to be happy with that.
              Also this is more about assessing whether or not Davis could play the same roll on defense as Chandler in Casey's scheme. I am not attempting to say that Ed Davis' should strive to be the next Chandler.

-Churchill

Comment

I would like to see a Kanter and Davis pairing for the long term.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  that would be a a solid combo. and we would have 3 of our 5 positions secured. C, PF, SG

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Are we now convinced Kanter can play the 5?

Can Davis be Chandler? Who knows. All I want next season is for Ed to get big minutes and continue to improve on both ends. I'm not sure he can anchor a defense like Chandler but he can certainly be a very good defender if he wants to be one cause he has great instincts, a hig BB IQ, and the athleticism to translate his reads into plays. The other thing, though, is that everyone is obsessed with defense right now but Davis should also be working on adding two or three post moves and a steady 15 foot jumper to his game. If he can do that over the next couple years he will be a valuable piece, Chandler or not.

Comment

it's that time of year again. with the hopefulness comparisons.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        ya i think ed would play well at the 5 spot. he has the length and will hopefully gain the weight to play the 5 spot and move amir into the starting line up at the four and dorsey can back him up.
                        As of right now Ed was getting bodied at the 4 so the 5 isn't an option. His help defense is great with excellent timing but this isn't enough for him to play the 5. He would get backed under the net every possession and he sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Let the kid guard the 4 and have some time to put weight on (2 years minimal) before we start talking the 5 spot.
                        As for the mention of Amir and Davis together starting and Dorsey backing them up not sure where your going to get scoring from and none of those 3 are lock down defenders so we'd lose the battle of the big's game in game out.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          Chandler is phenomenal at helping his guards. His hedging is amongst the best in the league, is a very capable pick 'n roll defender, and has excellent recoverability on defense. He's also active and uses his body very when challenging shots. The rebounding goes without saying.

Ed Davis has a while to go before he becomes even close to a defender as Chandler, and it's not Davis' lack of physical ability that will prevent him from becoming so. Fans always talk about "decision making" relating to offense, but the same applies on defense as well and that's where Davis has to grow (which I think he will). If he develops his defensive IQ, there's no reason to believe he won't be a defensive stalwart.

For completeness, Davis is already a much better offensive player than Chandler.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Are we now convinced Kanter can play the 5?
                            Were we ever not? He's 6'11 and 260 lbs. I'm pretty sure he can play the 5.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like Ed Davis and his impact and he does have the potential to make a huge impact on defense, however, I don't like the idea of moving him to the 5 spot. I think he'll be most effective at the 4 spot.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X