No announcement yet.

TOTAL SPECULATION: Thompson to Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOTAL SPECULATION: Thompson to Toronto?

From his twitter account:

@RealTristan13 - Tristan Thompson

Next stop YYZ

Seems kinda weird that the Raps would bring in Toronto native Tristan Thompson for a workout, but if the brass really do envision Ed Davis as the 5 of the future, maybe the Raptors could be looking at selecting Thompson as their 4 of the future, especially if trading down or acquiring another selection.

I sure wouldn't want him at #5, but that could be the fabled second pick they're talking about.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post

Seems kinda weird that the Raps would bring in Toronto native Tristan Thompson for a workout, but if the brass really do envision Ed Davis as the 5 of the future, maybe the Raptors could be looking at selecting Thompson as their 4 of the future, especially if trading down or acquiring another selection.
      Colangelo has already publicly said he loves Thompson's game and they're taking the best player at #5 and so it could conceivably be Thompson and the fact that Davis is in town would not block that move. I don't believe the pick is Thompson. There are too many better options that make more sense.

Comment

Maybe, if like stated earlier, we are getting another pick in the lottery he could be a target.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Love the idea if we got sacto's pick or something, but not with 5.

He could be just coming home, though.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Would love to see him in Toronto on the Raps, but sadly the Raps are picking too high this year. If they were in the bottom half of the lottery I'd jump all over him.
            You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

From Doug Smith's blog

Am hearing that Wednesday is the day Brampton’s Tristan Thompson is going to be in Toronto for a workout with the locals.

It’ll be a big media day for sure but I wonder what it actually means for the Raptors.

I still contend Thompson’s a stretch for the Raptors, at No. 5 or wherever.

He is, by all accounts I’m getting from scouts, a very good college player who needs to expand his back-to-the-basket game because it’s not going to serve him well in the NBA. Good defensively, solid energy guy who has had a tendency to drift during games but a lottery pick for sure.

But does he work here?

No.

While I hope he goes on to have an illustrious career in the NBA, I don’t see how a 6-9 power forward helps this team. If they need to address a frontcourt needs, it’s with a big, imposing presence inside and Thompson isn’t that yet and may not be.

But it’ll be a good story Wednesday and next week at the draft when he’s likely to become the highest-drafted Canadian ever.

Until now, that’d be the Nash bloke, who was drafted 15th overall by Phoenix way back in the day. Interestingly enough, I’ve seen Thompson’s name linked to Phoenix at 13.

Comment

If there is a scenario where it is very close I think being a local should weigh in his favor. Too often the Raptors have heard the excuses why someone wants to play in the US after they have been developed here.

Comment

IF he was the best pick at whatever pick(s) we have then sure take him, but I doubt he will be and we would be better served but getting a SF (Leonard) with a second pick. BUT GIG UPS TO CANADIAN TALENT! One day we will see a canuck in a raps uniform
                  Last edited by ezz_bee; Tue Jun 14, 2011, 05:50 PM. Reason: GIG=BIG
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

he is an amir johnson clone so no
                    ya dun noe

Comment

BC will not take him at 5 and if we do get another pick, leonard or burks would be the best options.

Comment

Remember when Isiah picked Damon Stoudamire, fans booed the crap out of him. Damon became the ROY and our franchise player. Don't know if Bryan has that sort of instinct, but the one thing I get weary about is that Bryan likes to play the crap out of his picks. Even if he goes for a reach, we will be stuck with 20 minutes of who ever we pick.

So I hope we pick well.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                          Remember when Isiah picked Damon Stoudamire, fans booed the crap out of him. Damon became the ROY and our franchise player. Don't know if Bryan has that sort of instinct, but the one thing I get weary about is that Bryan likes to play the crap out of his picks. Even if he goes for a reach, we will be stuck with 20 minutes of who ever we pick.

So I hope we pick well.
                          Colangelo has one of the best draft track records in the league. Whoever they draft at #5 I hope they "play the crap out of him". With such a young team who isn't focused on winning right now, I'm all for playing the young guys a lot.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Colangelo has one of the best draft track records in the league. Whoever they draft at #5 I hope they "play the crap out of him". With such a young team who isn't focused on winning right now, I'm all for playing the young guys a lot.
                            You've hit the nail on the head. If we're not in position to win the young guys need a chance to learn through making mistakes. I thought Demar improved dramatically this past year because of this. On a winning team and disciplined coach it's safe to say Demar's minutes could have been cut in half because of lapses defensively. Good thing for us going forward that wasn't the case. With that being said I think both Davis and Bayless should have had more minutes over Jose and Reggie who weren't/aren't in the long term plans last year.

If you were calling the shots Apollo and were picking at 5 with Irving, Williams, Knight and Kantar/Jonas off the board who's your pick?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post

Other than random speculation on this website, what leads you to believe that the brass envisions Ed Davis as our Centre of the future?

Comment

Working...
                              X