Fantasy Basketball: Rising Raptor/Falling Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Basketball: Rising Raptor/Falling Raptor

DimeMag.com featured two Raptors in a recent fantasy article. First, the guy on the rise:

Amir Johnson: He was tagged as a sleeper by many fantasy owners heading into last season and actually exceeded expectations, thanks to the opportunity Reggie Evans’ broken foot opened for the young big man. While the PF position was a bit crowded in Toronto last season with Johnson, Evans, Ed Davis and even James Johnson vying for minutes there, the good news is that this Evans’ contract with the Raptors expired after 2010-11. Assuming the Raptors don’t go out and sign another power forward in the offseason, Johnson should have plenty of room to develop into being a player who can potentially chip in 12 points, eight rebounds and nearly two blocks a game on a steady basis. His solid shooting from the field and the free-throw line also helps his value. If he can avoid foul trouble and fend off Davis from stealing too many of his minutes, Johnson will be a very desirable fantasy player to own. (Projected draft position: 75-85)
    And the man falling?
    Andrea Bargnani: Many fantasy owners had high hopes for Bargnani heading into last season. He was, after all, supposed to be the new focal point for the Raptors’ depleted, Bosh-less offense, and one of the very few viable big men on that squad. It appeared that fantasy stardom was his for the taking, which explains why he was taken in the third round of most drafts last fall. Sadly, Bargnani managed to find a way to miss the mark. He bumped up his scoring, assists, steals and free-throw percentage from his averages in 2009-10, but his field-goal percentage, threes made, rebounds, blocks and turnovers all went the wrong way last season. He’s young enough for owners to maintain hope that he’ll still tap into some remnant of potential, but it’s looking more and more like Bargnani’s first name betrays more than we expected. With some young Raptors emerging with serious appeal last season, the once-wide window of opportunity for Bargnani looks a lot less tempting now. (Projected draft position: 65-75)
    Source: DimeMag.com

Count me in on the dudes that think Amir is going to have a great season next year.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If you have a guy like LeBron James or Gerald Wallace on your team then Andrea Bargnani's value is much larger because those wings typically rebound really well. If he's paired with Kevin Love he would also look like a really good option.

Comment

Fear Amir!!!

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Fear Amir!!!
          haha +1

I know everyone is all over Davis' balls on this site but I still think Amir has more room to grow too. Will Davis eventually eclipse him? Probably, but Amir is going to be an amazing first big off the bench OR a very valuable trade piece (I think by the end of next year you could see him started on at least 1/2 of NBA teams). Now that I've resigned myself that Calderon needs to be shipped, Amir replaces him as the raptor I cheer the most for.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Davis will eclipse him by camp. That's not a diss to Amir.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Count me in on the dudes that think Amir is going to have a great season next year.
              I'm not completely convinced of that. Not that he couldn't... its just I expect Ed to get more minutes at PF than Amir and hopefully BC can move Bargnani for a real player... I mean center.....

Historically the real trick to fantasy basketball and the Raptors is to grab players who are playing against Toronto... particularilly bigs, but really almost anyone would do. You can wow your opposition when Harangody, Mike Miller and Hollins can help win you a week. With Bargs gone (positive thinking) that strategy may have to change to picking the opposition players against his new team.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                haha +1

I know everyone is all over Davis' balls on this site but I still think Amir has more room to grow too. Will Davis eventually eclipse him? Probably, but Amir is going to be an amazing first big off the bench OR a very valuable trade piece (I think by the end of next year you could see him started on at least 1/2 of NBA teams). Now that I've resigned myself that Calderon needs to be shipped, Amir replaces him as the raptor I cheer the most for.
                I wouldn't be suprised to see Amir's stock drop (fantasy wise) if Jose is traded. Those two ran a money pick and roll and had a fantastic chemistry. I am willing to wager no Jose means a less valuable Amir.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                  I wouldn't be suprised to see Amir's stock drop (fantasy wise) if Jose is traded. Those two ran a money pick and roll and had a fantastic chemistry. I am willing to wager no Jose means a less valuable Amir.
                  Thats an interesting point. It was pretty clear that Amir played much more comfortably when Jose was on the floor.
                  The looks Jose afforded Amir solely by just lobbing the ball toward the net will be much harder for him to come by, and those were where almost ALL of his scoring came from. Obviously, scoring isn't his strong point, but Jose made him infinitely more effective, and efficient, on that end of the floor.

Comment

HELLO!!! Derozan any one? :P
                    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Raptors I cheer most for?
                      in this order:
                      1. Reggie
                      2. Ed
                      3. Demar
                      4. Amir
                      5. Leo Rautins
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

LOL, no one asked that question

Comment