Signing old guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing old guys

First off, I don't know if there are a lot of posts and articles around the web concerning this topic because I haven't looked, the things I write here are things I came up with on my own (mostly), so don't hate.

It seems to me that for some reason front offices around the league don't understand some things that seem intuitive to most basketball fans (actual basketball fans who legitimately follow the game). I'm speaking specifically of the trend of signing old guys. By this I mean GMs pursuing or accepting players that are established but well past their prime in an effort to win championships or keep their franchise player. The most obvious example right now is Miami. Bibby? House? Dampier? JUWAN HOWARD??? They were all good to very good players... at one point in their careers. Not anymore. Cleveland did this to try to keep Lebron, getting Shaq and Jamison. Toronto with Jermaine O' Neal and Hedo. Orlando is trying to take it to the next level with Arenas and reacquiring Hedo. Yes, some veteran leadership is important on the road to the chip, but an entire locker room is veteran leadership is a bit of overkill.
    The only teams who can justify doing this are teams like Boston, who's main players are all past their primes as well and its pretty much their last shot at the championship.
    It just seems like common sense that you would want to surround your franchise player with younger players who are entering or in their primes. For example, the key player, I would argue, that finally pushed our latest champions over the hump is, aside from Dirk being stupid amazing, is Tyson Chandler.
    Granted, good players entering their prime don't just fall out of the sky, so if that's impossible, the teams should try and get younger players and develop them rather than collecting a posse of fading players a couple years or months from retirement. That is clearly the better plan in the long run, especially if you're a team like the '10 Cavs or the Magic trying to convince your franchise player to sign another long term contract with you. Show the commitment to being a contender far into the future rather than putting all your eggs into the now or never basket.

That's just my thoughts, if you disagree and think they're stupid and baseless, go ahead and ignore them, or if you have the inclination, tell me why I'm an idiot, I always like
    getting different perspectives.
    Peace.

First of all trading for a veteran guy... should be on a vibes level... To fill a need... Example Charles Oakley ? However I luv the ideal of trading for a six man to fulfill one of your starting 5 example Antonio Davis...

Comment

Oh where is the button to create your own tread ?

Comment

Working...
      X