Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spurs Offering Tony Parker? Looking to draft Valanciunas? (See post #74)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now is not the time to add vets! We need to develope youth and lose, grab a top player in next years draft and then build a championship calibar team. Losing in the first rd doesn't interest me!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      He's 29 years old. No doubt he could help the team but it should not be done by way of sacrificing the future by dealing the 5th.
      This exactly. This trade would literally be the exact opposite of a rebuild.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He's 29 years old. No doubt he could help the team but it should not be done by way of sacrificing the future by dealing the 5th.
        How much is one #5 pick in a weaker draft sacrificing the future?

Best case scenario: Parker becomes all star and leads Raptors back to playoffs. Defence improves future is good.

Worst case scenario: Parker doesn't bring it, and Raptors win only 30 games. They would then be back in the lottery.

I can see and appreciate the risks, but saying it would sacrifice the future is a little dramatic, no?
        Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Raps4Ever wrote: View Post
          Now is not the time to add vets! We need to develope youth and lose, grab a top player in next years draft and then build a championship calibar team. Losing in the first rd doesn't interest me!
          You're only looking at half the picture. Losing in the first round will still give them a decent 1st round pick in a what is being called a deep draft.

Maybe losing in the 1st round will give these guys confidence which they can improve upon in the seasons that follow. And maybe it doesn't interest you but I'm sure it interests a lot of people on the team and within the organization.

People seem to be mistaking Andre Miller for Tony Parker. Because Tony Parker is and has been an elite level player. This team needs top talent.

Comment

• Their high lotto pick will be somebody age 18-21 whereas Parker is only a couple years away from the age when guards start losing a step. For a PG who depends heavily on speed to do his job, this is a concerning proposition.
            • Since when did Tony Parker start playing good defense?
            • No one is suggesting the Raptors can't get an excellent player at #5.

Comment

I don't even know why san antonio would want to do such a trade. Don't know if Parker for a lottery pick really upgrades their roster. The only thing I can think of is they are also targeting a player on each roster, say Amir and the 5th for Parker, or Blatche and #7 for Parker? I don't know, probably just smoke. Maybe they are gauging Parker's value.

Comment

• Their high lotto pick will be somebody age 18-21 whereas Parker is only a couple years away from the age when guards start losing a step. For a PG who depends heavily on speed to do his job, this is a concerning proposition.
                that pretty much sums it up.

Tony Parker 5 years ago... yeah that sounds like a good idea. Today? not so much especially considering the Raps (hopefully) current youth movement

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
                  You're only looking at half the picture. Losing in the first round will still give them a decent 1st round pick in a what is being called a deep draft.

Maybe losing in the 1st round will give these guys confidence which they can improve upon in the seasons that follow. And maybe it doesn't interest you but I'm sure it interests a lot of people on the team and within the organization.

People seem to be mistaking Andre Miller for Tony Parker. Because Tony Parker is and has been an elite level player. This team needs top talent.
                  I think I speak for fans who don't want to settle for medocrity and are willing to take more lumps to make a serious run at a title!
                  On a side note who wants to play with a guy who will try to slide it in on your wife. Parker doesn't understand what the man code is!

Comment

You could make the case that he's better on defence than Jose and so what if his body is going to age a little bit? And I think excellent player is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure you can look back in previous drafts and find that teams have drafted people at the #5 and they turned out to be less than excellent. Conversely, GM's have found great players lower than the #5. All I'm saying is that people are talking about this year's pick like it's a sure thing.

Obviously there are slight drawbacks to trading for Parker but that doesn't make trading for him a major sacrifice to Toronto's future.

Comment

Raps4Ever wrote: View Post
                      I think I speak for fans who don't want to settle for medocrity and are willing to take more lumps to make a serious run at a title!
                      On a side note who wants to play with a guy who will try to slide it in on your wife. Parker doesn't understand what the man code is!
                      Mediocrity? Come on, eventually they're going to make the playoffs and probably get bounced in the 1st round. Why not start that process this year and propel it to the one after that and other subsequent seasons?

About the man code, I don't know about Parker's past with that. I try not to follow their personal lives. ...But what I do know is that Barbosa got Steve Nash's wife pregnant, and he's on the Raptors!

Comment

Some of Parkers stats from this season:

First off, he played in 78 regular season games this season and averaged 17.5ppg almost a full point higher than his career average of 16.7ppg. I know his scoring was down from a couple of seasons ago, but he also took 4 fewer shots per game this season. He also shot 35% from deep this season, up almost 7% from two seasons ago.

He also averaged 6.6apg compared to his career or 5.7apg. His steals went up, both his shooting percentages went up and he played half a minute less than his career average.

I don't know why everyone thinks he's old? Maybe it's the mainstream media that routinely refers to the Spurs as "too old" and aging.

Insert Tony Parker onto the Raptors and you will see how young he still is.

Comment

It's less Parker's play that worries me, than the insane contract extension he's got that starts after next year. That's a big set of handcuffs if the trade didn't work out. I can't speak for Raptors brass when I say this, but the uncertainty of the top prospects of this draft is overwhelmingly better than the certainty of that contract being an albatross on this roster.

Comment

Why do we Raptor fans want to be in the lottery every year for a chance at a FUTURE. The future is now in today's Pro Sports. If Parker gets here via trade and the # 5 pick is involved then DO IT. Imagine the impact he would have on the youth. He's the type of PG who is going to be effective into his mid 30's a la Kidd and Nash and he just turned 29. Realistically if he came he would only be here 2-3 years . How many of you predict a good solid run between now and then? Huh? Kemba Walker gonna bring us to the final in 2 yrs? I'm not saying Parker can either but if this team wins 30-35 games next year because we picked up Parker, signed someone and made another good trade, and Casey does his magic like we all predict then the year after that we look more attractive to a bigger name FA. If we draft Walker and go to 28 wins in the hope of landing another FUTURE player in the draft then we might not be better off. The same people saying we should build a youth movement like OKC are not realizing that we don't have a Durant on this team and won't in this draft either, and perhaps not the next. The notion that your youth has to build together is non-sense. NBA teams change radically every year. It's about putting quality players on the floor that work and age has little to do with chemistry when your an adult playing a pro-sport. Any group can gel. You think Derozans game wouldn't be better if he had 2 years with Parker rather than two years with Walker or Knight? The pick is just that, a pick. It's a lottery and not everyone wins. Just look at the busts at every pick in history to know you take a top level PG whenever you can. Parker is and who can argue that..."oh Parker will be 31 in two years, 31 year olds can't do anything" Gimme a break. Isn't addressing the point one of our priorities?

Comment

Like the trade. I almost would have already done it.

Do you think DeRozen,etc will stay on a young team
                              if the team doesn't improve?Of course not.
                              So those young players you all covet will
                              bounce.

Tony Parker makes the team better for at least two years.
                              That's two years experience for Demar ETAL in the playoffs
                              in the East.

Secondly, who is moved to make it work financially?
                              The obvious options are Jose or Bargs. If it's Bargs
                              that's addition through subtraction.

Also, The Raps have been scouting players lower
                              in the draft so if they traded slots with San Antonio
                              I think they would do better than most teams.

The only thing stopping me is I want to know what
                              happens ahead of us in the draft. You got to
                              keep the pick for a guy like Kanter or maybe Kemba...
                              depending how you have him scouted.

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
                                How much is one #5 pick in a weaker draft sacrificing the future?

Best case scenario: Parker becomes all star and leads Raptors back to playoffs. Defence improves future is good.

Worst case scenario: Parker doesn't bring it, and Raptors win only 30 games. They would then be back in the lottery.

I can see and appreciate the risks, but saying it would sacrifice the future is a little dramatic, no?
                                I started to write a long reply, but decided to post most of it on my blog, here:
                                http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...r-be-a-raptor/

Basically, though, my problem with the trade is that is would probably give the Raptors 5-10 more wins. Great, so now they become a 27-32 win team? Maybe the rest of the team improves, too, giving them, maybe 5-10 more wins. That's a 42 win team, at best. Maybe they make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed. Maybe. But unlike a much more talented team like Memphis, Toronto is going to be a first round casualty. So with a much lower pick, they aren't likely to find an impact player in the draft, and with Parker's contract, they won't have money to spend on a free agent. So the team has little chance to bring in any other players to improve the team, which leaves their best option to improve to be within the team.

I don't think there's many people that see either DeRozan or Davis as future elite players. Good ones, yes, but not elite players. And those two are probably going to be the two best players on the team 5 years from now. Unfortunately, because Parker has played so many games in his NBA career, he's likely going to start declining pretty soon. So by the time DeRozan and Davis are hitting their peak, Parker's probably just about done.

And since a team lead by DeRozan and Davis aren't going to be good enough to be a contender, the Raptors will probably continue to be a 7th or 8th seed for the foreseeable future.

So I don't think saying that a trade for Parker will doom the Raptors to mediocrity is a little dramatic. I'd say it's pretty damn accurate.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X