Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spurs Offering Tony Parker? Looking to draft Valanciunas? (See post #74)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JoePanini wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't, which is why I'm really liking Walker or Knight at number 5.
    Would you take them over Kanter though?

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
      I am not averse to it. He is not the style of PG I prefer, personally, but it definitely depends upon who we draft/can draft. If we have a shot at Kanter with only one pick, then I am good to go, but if Kanter is gone, I would be more inclined to draft Walker or Knight, and gain another pick to get Biyombo.

You?
      I was just wondering why he'd be good enough to start on the Kings yet if he was on the Raps, you'd select a guy like Knight or Walker to replace him. That's why I think that proposed deal to the Kings doesn't look too rosy from a Sacramento standpoint.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        I was just wondering why he'd be good enough to start on the Kings yet if he was on the Raps, you'd select a guy like Knight or Walker to replace him. That's why I think that proposed deal to the Kings doesn't look too rosy from a Sacramento standpoint.
        in my opinion, he seems to fit what Sacramento tries to do, throw out a lot of scoring and Chad Ford reported they have shown interest in both Alec Burks and Jimmer. Burks makes absolutely zero sense with Tyreke Evans, but they sure don't seem to have all their marbles when talking building a team.

ADD: they have even spoken about a strong desire to bring back Sammy D despite his antics there this past year, and his comments talking down about D Cousins (while saying Evans is a good kid who is learning).

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
          Would you take them over Kanter though?
          Nope.

Comment

No way

San Antonio, as I hear it, wants to attach Richard Jefferson to any Tony Parker deal. Can't see that appealing to Raps. Or Kings. Or ...
            Source: Twitter / @STEIN_LINE_HQ
            No. 7 and Casspi for Tony Parker? Absolutely. Adding Richard Jefferson and his $39 mil contract? Not so fast.
            Correction via @teamziller: Jefferson has $30 mil left on contract. BTW, lots of Kings tweeps seem OK with Jefferson at SF right away.
            Source: Twitter / @markkreidler

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              He's got 12.5 each season for the next 4 seasons, but the 4th season isn't guaranteed. I think it's partially guaranteed - to the tune of 3.5-4 million (although that part I'm not 100% sure of.. I'll do some digging around)

EDIT: Found the deets.

LINK
              Appreciate it your top man!

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
                Kidd used to be all about speed too. And while I'm not saying that Parker is as good as Kidd or that Parker will be playing when he's 38, what I am saying is that Parker's shooting ability has been improving and like most PGs will probably continue to improve as he continues to mature and develop his game to adjust to the changes in his body.

And I'd be shocked if Colangelo couldn't move at least one of Calderon or Bargnani.
                Kidd used to be all about speed? Dude was all size,strength and passing. Thats why he is still an effective NBA PG. Not saying he was slow, but speed was hardly his best attribute

Comment

The only way I do this trade is if
                  1) Calderon goes to the Spurs
                  2) We get a draft pick in NEXT years draft that has a good chance of being a top 10 pick (aka NOT belonging to the spurs, and I'm not sure if they have anyone else draft pick for next year)

However, the raps getting an extra lotto pick for 2012 sounds like a smart move, when all gm's are focused on this draft.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                    The only way I do this trade is if
                    1) Calderon goes to the Spurs
                    2) We get a draft pick in NEXT years draft that has a good chance of being a top 10 pick (aka NOT belonging to the spurs, and I'm not sure if they have anyone else draft pick for next year)

However, the raps getting an extra lotto pick for 2012 sounds like a smart move, when all gm's are focused on this draft.
                    Where do you expect the spurs to get a top 10 2012 pick? Even then I probably wouldn't do it. I DO NOT want that contract on this team.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                      Wait a minute. Who's to say the Raps keep Porker for the full length of his contract? He becomes a very tradeable asset for years to come. Porker may add too many wins to expect lottery success next year, but the Raps can also trade many of their other ball players to compensate. What if the Raps could flip Derozan, Bargnani and Calderon in the same deal and get an all-star out of it? Now they've got 2 all-stars, and they still have Ed Davis. And they can still fake injuries and sit their arses down for 20 games next year to get into the lottery. Porker is a lot better than anyone they can get out of this year's crummy draft.
                      First of all, can we dispense with the `Porker' thing? I've never been a fan of changing a guys name to try and make it funny. Not since I was in grade school, anyway. And considering he's anything but fat, I don't see how it's even supposed to be funny.

As for your argument, yes the Raptors could eventually flip Parker, but as he gets older his trade value will go down. And if it's become obvious he's starting to break down, then his trade value will be negligible.

And yes, the Raptors could trade DeRozan, Bargnani and Calderon for an All-Star, and still have Davis. And then the Raptors would still have one aging All-Star who probably only have a year or two in his prime, an All-Star, Davis and really nothing else. And they'd still be mediocre.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                        That's exactly what I find peculiar. People keep saying there's not a lot of sure things...but you've got the Spurs - the Spurs - probably the best drafting team in the history of the league, looking to trade their most recent finals MVP for one of those "uncertain" rookies. Then you've got the Lakers talking with Minnesota - rumours of which haven't yet been quashed - about trading the guy they wouldn't trade before in order to keep Kobe from leaving for what would likely be Derrick Williams.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but if the Spurs come calling asking for me for a high lotto pick in exchange for a part of their core, I couldn't help but have to reconsider my draft pick valuations.

And Tim - how could you think the Spurs want anyone but Valanciunas? To me it's clearly the guy they want. I can see where Knight would fit, but the Spurs have to be licking their chops over the prospect of being able to pry Valanciunas from other more desperate teams. They can wait on him to develop. And when he does, they'll have not only stolen Blair, but J.V. from the rest of the league, and along with Splitter will have their frontcourt beyond adequately manned for the next 10 years.
                        I think there are two reasons the Spurs are willing to give him up. The first is that they've already got his replacement, in George Hill, so losing him isn't a big deal. The second, and one that would affect the team that wants him, is that I think they believe he is about to decline fast. He's already played nearly 900 games (regular season and playoffs) and his game relies on speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's only got a couple more good years left.

As for Valanciunas, I figured with Splitter and Blair, they were happy with their future front court, but for some reason I just saw a lot of similarities between Parker and Knight. The Spurs don't need a true PG with the system they run, so Knight not being one wouldn't be a huge problem.
                        Last edited by Tim W.; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:39 PM. Reason: Valanciunas thing.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          First of all, can we dispense with the `Porker' thing? I've never been a fan of changing a guys name to try and make it funny. Not since I was in grade school, anyway. And considering he's anything but fat, I don't see how it's even supposed to be funny.

As for your argument, yes the Raptors could eventually flip Parker, but as he gets older his trade value will go down. And if it's become obvious he's starting to break down, then his trade value will be negligible.

And yes, the Raptors could trade DeRozan, Bargnani and Calderon for an All-Star, and still have Davis. And then the Raptors would still have one aging All-Star who probably only have a year or two in his prime, an All-Star, Davis and really nothing else. And they'd still be mediocre.
                          I make up joke names for them to help me remember their names. Sometimes it's affectionate, like when people called James "LBJ" or the "dead president". Other times, as with ol' "Stony Porker", who is known to play around with the opposite sex quite a bit more than is required (too much for his wife to stomach anyway), it is not so affectionate.

Can you explain to me what your strategy is for rebuilding the team -- is it clearing the salary and going after mega-stars like Miami did, or is it winning the lottery and using the pick on a mega-star like the Bulls did, or is it losing for 15 years and eventually using all of the draft picks well enough, like Atlanta did?

Comment

My understanding is that there is more to this Tony Parker talk than what's been reported so far. The Spurs want to rid themselves of Richard Jefferson's contract. So the whole story here is they're looking for a team willing to swallow Jefferson's contract, and they're using Tony Parker as the incentive. The by-product of that being the draft pick. For the Raptors to take on Jefferson's contract, the TPE could swallow that whole, and then likely move Calderon and the 5th pick for Tony Parker.

Anyway, I'm sure it's already been mentioned but I think the addition of Parker to this team bereft of stardom would propel us to a 35-37 win team, still not good enough to make the playoffs. Our team is 2-3 years off from being competitive, and should not be trading for 8-figure salaried players who have already reached their peak.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

The Spurs want Valanciunas

If San Antonio manages to jump up to 7 (highly doutbful), look for them to take Jonas Valanciunas.
                              Source: Twitter / @DraftExpress

Comment

^^^^ THIS...should tell you who the Raptors SHOULD be drafting. But you know it's never gonna go that way. The fact that the Spurs would give up one of their key cogs who's still playing at a high level should indicate how highly they think of Valanciunas.
                                Last edited by MangoKid; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X