CBS: Buyer Beware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS: Buyer Beware!

A couple of names associated with the Raptors made this list...

Bismack Biyombo

Fear Factor: 4

Super-athletic foreign big comes out of nowhere, ramps up a ton of hype, then goes to workouts and .... wah-wah. Biyombo has talked about leading the league in blocks and rebounds. Bravado is excellent. But it can also belie an effort to gain a foothold on something other than ability. Biyombo brings great length and athleticism but no polish or offensive repertoire. So he's kind of the anti-Jimmer. But players in Biyombo's mold can either be a revelation or a colossal bust. Just for comparison's sake, the last player similar to Biyombo in terms of physical nature was Thabeet.

Good luck with that.

Kemba Walker

Fear Factor: 3

Similar concerns as Fredette, only magically shorter.

When Walker measured in at 6-1 vs. the 5-11 many scouts had him pegged at, the phrase "See, he's not short at all!" was used. This despite the fact that he's still short, he just plays and seems shorter than he actually is. Walker has a tremendous scoring ability, but defensively there are going to be questions. There have been plenty of players of diminutive stature to make it in the NBA and even become borderline stars. But few of them have been drafted at Walker's projected position or with his expectations. Walker was the college player of the year for a reason. He was also kept out of the top ten for most of the year until the talent stampeded out at the end.

LINK

Biyombo is nothing like Thabeet. o.o

Comment

I wish people would stop talking about Walker's size. Meanwhile some people are calling him the best defensive PG in the draft.

And the guy is actually bigger than Aaron Brooks, Ty Lawson, and Jameer Nelson. IMO a lot of teams are going to regret not taking him a year from now.
      Last edited by Employee; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:08 PM.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Whoever wrote that should have their earlobe flicked
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          I wish people would stop talking about Walker's size. Meanwhile some people are calling him the best defensive PG in the draft.

And the guy is actually bigger than Aaron Brooks, Ty Lawson, and Jameer Nelson. IMO a lot of teams are going to regret taking him a year from now.
          The fact that they can only find fault in the number 73 and the fact that he listens to his coaches should say it all. He will be a good pro no matter where he ends up being drafted.

Comment

Do not underestimate Kemba.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

i think kemba will be a fine pro, but when he has to guard someone like John Wall or Derrick Rose, how will he fare defensively?

Comment

zulfi wrote: View Post
                i think kemba will be a fine pro, but when he has to guard someone like John Wall or Derrick Rose, how will he fare defensively?
                how does anyone fare defensively against those guys? I can't imagine the guy will be a lock down defender... but I also don't expect him to be bad

Comment

CP3 led the league in steals last year. Same height.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I think Kemba should be our pick, hands down and no question!!! The last time I looked, pg's were not supposed to be shot blockers!

Comment

Seriously, how do most? Do you think Brandon Knight can hope to guard those guys? I don't. What about Tony Parker? Not a chance in hell. This is like knocking a guy because he can't contain Dwayne Wade or Kobe Bryant.

Comment

I think Kemba would be a fine pick. I think everyone knows Biyombo is a high-risk pick. I'm not saying his game is similar, but his rise in hype reminds me a lot of Tyrus Thomas. Everyone salivated at this big athlete built strong and defensively-minded. Well, years later I think regardless of what you think of Thomas he was a huge reach at #4. Biyombo would be a great mid-late lottery pick for a team that already has a decent frontline and can therefore let him learn the game without high expectations. He's definitely a potential defensive freak, but his one on none workout video makes reggie evans look like hakeem olajuwon.

Comment

biyombo is not a high risk pick
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Oh, and to add to that I think our frontline is good enough to let Biyombo develop at a his own pace, but he's still not a great pick at #5. Maybe if we can get our hands on Charlotte's, which is apparently shopping their picks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...55501734_x.htm

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              biyombo is not a high risk pick
                              have you seen his workout video? It's in here somewhere. Looks pretty raw to me. And yes I realize you're not drafting him for offense, but if his offense is this bad, he's going to have to be the best defensive player on the floor every night to be a starter. Think Dennis Rodman or Dikembe Mutombo as the types of impact that would make him worth a top 5 pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Biyombo-5902/

Comment

Working...
                              X