CBS: 2011 NBA Draft Sleepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS: 2011 NBA Draft Sleepers

..is he a bust, a sleeper.. I mean, what is he?

5. Bismack Biyombo

Sure, we don't often consider projected lottery picks to be sleepers. Biyombo is exceptional in so many other ways, though, that we should make another exception here.

If Biyombo had a longer resume or had handled his pre-draft run-up better, he is a player who should be talked about as a top five selection. Biyombo is arguably the best defensive prospect in the draft. His combination of absurd length, ability to contest shots intelligently, his ability to play one-on-one in the post and roam as an active help side defender, and his ferocious desire for cleaning the glass make him elite on that end of the floor. With that package, who cares about his out of nowhere backstory (raised in the Democratic Republic of Congo, limited professional career in Spain).

Unfortunately, he's now working to prevent a draft day slide after tanking a workout in Europe and laying low for almost the entire pre-draft process. Biyombo is now projected outside of the top 10 and potentially outside of the lottery, which would be borderline criminal given his upside and physical tools.

There's no question that it will take guts to draft him given the red flags about his age (he could be much older than he says he is) and his meteoric rise to the first round following the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit. But this is a player about whom people will almost certainly look back in five years and say, "how in the heck did they pass on that guy in that draft?"
    You can find the rest of the list here

why is everyone jizzing in their pants over this kid? right now he's going to play behind davis and johnson

and possibly bargnani.

doesn't this belong in the draft thread anyways.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
      Hey man, I'm trying to create some discussion. Don't hate, participate.

Comment

why is everyone jizzing in their pants over this kid? right now he's going to play behind davis and johnson

and possibly bargnani.

Yeah, who needs a defensive presence in the middle? Not us!
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

and possibly bargnani.

Biyombo is expected to be a very good rim protector, which is exactly what the Raptors have needed for years. If he is drafted there is no guarentee that he will be playing behind anyone. He is already a better defender than any of our bigs execpt Ed and he already has the size we hope Ed develops. If defense is the focus going forard and Biyombo is on the team it is very possible he is one of our two starting bigs, possibly with Andrea or Alabi, who is apparently improving rapidly if you believe David Thorpe.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

To me this guy has nothing but stink all over him, I would not touch him if I was picking anywhere in the top 10. Joel Anthony is a good defender with long arms, but the guy just does not score the ball well and that limits his minutes in the NBA.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Joel Anthony couldn't sniff Biyombo's taint
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Joel Anthony is a good defender and shotblocker, but he's actually not a very good rebounder, and he has absolutely no touch around the rim. Biyombo has the makings of an All-World defender and shotblocker, but should also be an excellent rebounder. Plus, he seems to have a pretty good touch around the basket. You don't need to be able to hit a jumper to be a threat on offense. You just need to be able to get the ball in the hoop. It's the difference between Amir and Reggie. Neither is a good scorer, but Amir has a soft touch around the basket and very good hands. Reggie is a guy you would like to see shoot as much as possible. If you're on the other team.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I wouldn't be too surprised if Colangelo acquires another pick (in the teens) and takes him. He's long, athletic and blocks/rebounds...what's not to like. We have plenty of scorers, not enough Reggie's!

Comment

Halifax Raps Fan wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't be too surprised if Colangelo acquires another pick (in the teens) and takes him.
                    I don't mind if Colangelo gets another pick and tries to hit a homerun with it (i.e Biyombo), i just don't want him to waste the 5th pick on someone who MIGHT be good. i rather we stick with someone who we know will become AT LEAST a rotation player (or we hope they do anyway), such as Leanoard, Kanter or Walker

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      Joel Anthony couldn't sniff Biyombo's taint
                      I laughed at this one. Funny.
                      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

But as to sleepers, I will go with David Lighty, who's defense is crazy and can be a glue guy like Bowen and maybe also Isaiah Thomas, who is a munchkin but has crazy speed and athleticism.
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Biyombo is the only player EVER to get a triple double in the Nike summit game...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...KG Was Close..Just A Block Shot Shy..Does that tell you something about this guy??

Comment

D-Money wrote: View Post
                            Biyombo is the only player EVER to get a triple double in the Nike summit game...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...KG Was Close..Just A Block Shot Shy..Does that tell you something about this guy??
                            That a 26 yr old was beating up on some pre-pubescent schoolboys?

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                              That a 26 yr old was beating up on some pre-pubescent schoolboys?
                              He's 18..but nice tryy...Jus like everyone was saying obama wasn't American right....And how woud you know he's 26??let's hear your dumb response..."ahhh they said it at hoopshypes"

Comment

Working...
                              X