Nash To The Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    I hear ya on the marketing campaign it might take some of the sting away of Nash leaving by selling a local kid to the fan base.

Irving is going 1 for sure no doubt about it. The Wolves will likely take Williams but lets say for argument sake they are high on Kantar and select him instead. Utah is in the middle of competing and rebuilding and Williams seems to good to pass up but lets sat they take Knight as that's been the rumor for weeks no. The Cavs are doing the American version of the lotto 649 happy dance as pairing Irving and Williams is a dream come true and would be a great foundation going forward. The draft is full of variables but in no way can I see Williams dropping to 5 but I could be wrong. Zero% chance may be wrong but saying 5% would still sound too generous. Only way we land Williams is by making a deal with the Wolves in my eyes.
    Agreed, Williams at the five is next to impossible. Tonight is exciting. I haven't heard this much junk about the draft in years.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      I would think it'd be Phoenix that offers him a job in their front office. You don't usually hire someone for your front office who has been on your team for 1 year.
      damon stoudamire - Memphis?
      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Damon didn't play in one particular city for the majority of his career. Nash has been in the league for 14 years and played 9 years for Phoenix. Phoenix drafted him. He won 2 MVP's with Phoenix. Chances are, Phoenix will offer him a position. Otherwise, he'll probably do something else.

Just a gut feeling.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

I don't see a trade of Nash for Calderon working for the suns. They are only saving 1 mill this season but taking on 9 mill the season after that. I don't see Calderon as the pg of the future in Phoenix so what's their motivation? I guess it's trading up in the draft? As a Raps fan I have zero interest in giving up a draft pick and probably don't want to draft down either. Nash for Barbosa makes MORE sense (if barbosa exercised his option) because at least it is an expiring for an expiring.

Also If Toronto can't git rid of Calderon in the deal why not just wait until next year?
          sign Nash as a free agent let him split minutes w/ bayless or the kid we draft this year
          Trade Calderon's expiring to a team that has a good young player on a multi-year contract and doesn't may fit into that teams long term goals (think the rudy gay situation, although not necessarily that big of a contract)

To me that makes more sense than just a straight Nash for Calderon pick from our perspective. Why give up a draft pick if we don't have to?
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

While I would hve loved to have seen Nash play on a Canadian team at some point, now is not the time for him to be coming to the Raptors. It would be bad for him and bad for the Raptors.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              While I would hve loved to have seen Nash play on a Canadian team at some point, now is not the time for him to be coming to the Raptors. It would be bad for him and bad for the Raptors.
              +1.

Comment

Absolutely right. It would kill us. We'd win at least 15 more games and miss the playoffs. Then draft around 10-12. Probably not getting it done for us. But if they keep him and manage to save his body from another bothersome playoff run next year, I wonder if there might not be a chance for the following year?
                “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

I actually think they would make the playoffs with Nash in town. It just that...Well... What's the point in it all? They trade for him and trade off a piece that could help the future in the process and then what? Nash plays two or three more seasons and retires and the Raptors are no better for it beyond selling a few more tickets. If they could work a deal by using the TPE then I would be up for it but that's not possible...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I actually think they would make the playoffs with Nash in town. It just that...Well... What's the point in it all? They trade for him and trade off a piece that could help the future in the process and then what? Nash plays two or three more seasons and retires and the Raptors are no better for it beyond selling a few more tickets. If they could work a deal by using the TPE then I would be up for it but that's not possible...
                    I also think they'd probably make the playoffs next year, putting the Raptors on the mediocrity treadmill. And then Raptor fans get a front row view of a former MVP breaking down and becoming a shell of his former self. Again.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

You're absolutely right on this Tim. However, I'd be a lot happier about the money put into my season tickets if we got Nash. Hahaha..
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

please.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

btw I think all of you are missing some key things that come with winning more games during a rebuild. Not only do the raptors learn to win, and gain a winning culture (hopefully), but losing is very irritating to young players, and losing enough to get top 5 picks more than 2 years in a row SUCKS. I dont think that with nash we would make the playoffs, because i think he would come off the bench in order for the development of whichever young pg we choose keep. Nash then becomes those few extra wins during the season that keep us out of the basement of the league, grow our players confidence, and show them by experience what it takes to win a game. Nash would also take over that smart veteran role very well and Im sure would give our team the proper leader it needs. I think this is nothing but positive, and next years draft is deep enough, that any lottery pick would improve our position. None the less, we have to keep thinking about the future development of demar, ed, bayless, amir, and nash would be the absolute person we'd be looking to improve just that.
                          Last edited by enlightenment; Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            btw I think all of you are missing some key things that come with winning more games during a rebuild. Not only do the raptors learn to win, and gain a winning culture (hopefully), but losing is very irritating to young players, and losing enough to get top 5 picks more than 2 years in a row SUCKS. I dont think that with nash we would make the playoffs, because i think he would come off the bench in order for the development of whichever young pg we choose keep. Nash then becomes those few extra wins during the season that keep us out of the basement of the league, grow our players confidence, and show them by experience what it takes to win a game. Nash would also take over that smart veteran role very well and Im sure would give our team the proper leader it needs. I think this is nothing but positive, and next years draft is deep enough, that any lottery pick would improve our position. None the less, we have to keep thinking about the future development of demar, ed, bayless, amir, and nash would be the absolute person we'd be looking to improve just that.
                            Your argument makes sense ONLY if the Raptors have the talent to build on things once Nash declines and/or leaves. They don't. So all it does is give them a worse draft pick next year, when they need more than anything to draft a star. No team with the talent they currently have is going to become a true contender, so who really cares if they get a few more wins if their ceiling ends up being 45 wins?
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I still think with nash and our team we would still have a lottery pick next year, and seeing how deep that class is, I don't think its worth skipping nash to try and get a higher pick.

Comment

Your argument makes sense ONLY if the Raptors have the talent to build on things once Nash declines and/or leaves. They don't. So all it does is give them a worse draft pick next year, when they need more than anything to draft a star. No team with the talent they currently have is going to become a true contender, so who really cares if they get a few more wins if their ceiling ends up being 45 wins?
                                ^This.

I have never been one for tanking. I think teaching your players to lose hurts their development. But at the same time, when the team is pretty much hoping that one of their many youngsters will become a star, acquiring veterans to increase wins means we'll be playing those veterans a lot. Not getting enough playing time also hurts a young player's development. We aren't the Bulls where they had the 1, 3 and 5 set and just needed to fill in the 2 and 4. We don't have any positions set. We're just hoping DeRozan and Davis can be our 2 and 4. And when the veterans leave, where does that leave us? Needing to develop players yet again.

Building a winning attitude is important, but I'd like to see someone name a team with as little talent as ours that became a success because they started adding veterans.

Comment

Working...
                                X