Nash To The Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash To The Raptors?

We already know the Phoenix Suns won't be trading Steve Nash. President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said so in no uncertain terms.
    So there it is, story over. Steve Nash is not being traded and Steve Nash agreed...except he sort of opened the door just a tad. Uh oh.
    Meanwhile, Nash was having a "global chat" of a press conference in advance of his charity soccer game in New York today when he received a question about whether he would want to play for Toronto..

"This is a tough question for me," Nash said. "When you're in a situation (where) you've given a lot of you career to one franchise, you feel at home there. I feel a loyalty to my team, our community in Phoenix. I want us to try to get back and try to compete for a championship like we did two seasons ago so that's kind of all I think about. So I don't plan on leaving but obviously if the opportunity were ever there, where Phoenix were rebuilding or whatever happens, Toronto would be an amazing place to play. It's a great city. It'd be at home in Canada. To be a part of their, hopefully, future success would be great but I don't really have any plans other than try to get our team back in the playoffs and contend for a championship."
    Sources:
    arizona.sbnation.com
    azcentral.com

Rule number one is never trust what a GM tells you immediately before the draft. They're all jockeying for position, trying to gain leverage and covering their asses in case deals that leak don't go through.

I love Nash. He's a wonderful ambassador for Canada, despite his affinity to Tottenham Hotspur.

Comment

Nash deserves better than Toronto.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
        negative, but true.

I hope the Raps take him in and let him play 1 year, then he retires and is given a job in the Raps office.

Comment

If they trade for him I would hope they get more value than one and out. If he were to retire they could just offer him a job, no need to trade to make him a coach.

Comment

planting a seed or just being polite?

I saw this posted in the 'latest web articles' late last night and it seemed too good to be true. If you find the original blog that posted these comments, Nash made this remark in a media scrum at his soccer tournament, and was specifically asked about if he'd like to come to Toronto. How else is the guy going to respond without offending the city or country?

I'd love for this to be true, but I think his comments are being blown out of proportion. On the other hand ... who knows, maybe something is cooking. Looks like bad reporting to me though.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              If they trade for him I would hope they get more value than one and out. If he were to retire they could just offer him a job, no need to trade to make him a coach.
              It would be nice if he ended his career in Toronto, but I feel he deserves a shot at a championship. He is still a great PG, and although I'd love him in Toronto, it would just be.. I don't know, I just want to see Nash win.

Comment

Call me bored but I was thinking about all of this "jockeying" and "dropping hints and stuff" about the draft but anything seems possible these days. I was thinking about Nash and a potential trade with Phoenix (perhaps they're going to send him somewhere to retire with dignity - perhaps with Toronto or elsewhere). I know, retiring in TO is hardly dignified. But what if we send Calderon, fillers, the # 5 (if Derrick Williams falls to us - which is possible) for Nash, Gortat and their # 13? I'm just throwing this out there. Don't hurt me with vile comments please . I'm just throwing it out there.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I would think it'd be Phoenix that offers him a job in their front office. You don't usually hire someone for your front office who has been on your team for 1 year.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ive said before id love to see nash with the raps for the right price. he'd help bring a winning culture to the team. that said i wouldn't give up the #5 for him or Ed or Derozen so im not sure what we have that they'd want.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i could see him playing a couple seasons here at the ass end of his career as a veteran mentor off the bench, and transition into an assistant coach role..

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      i agree that he deserves better than the RAPTORS... but TORONTO is exactly what he deserves in the last days of his playing career.. there really is no NBA city that he's more beloved in (excluding Phoenix)

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        Call me bored but I was thinking about all of this "jockeying" and "dropping hints and stuff" about the draft but anything seems possible these days. I was thinking about Nash and a potential trade with Phoenix (perhaps they're going to send him somewhere to retire with dignity - perhaps with Toronto or elsewhere). I know, retiring in TO is hardly dignified. But what if we send Calderon, fillers, the # 5 (if Derrick Williams falls to us - which is possible) for Nash, Gortat and their # 13? I'm just throwing this out there. Don't hurt me with vile comments please . I'm just throwing it out there.
                        We would certainly be a much better team if that trade went through. Only issue there is zero chance of Williams dropping to 5. Also I'd assume the Suns would want a young player with significant upside especially if they are taking Jose's contract back so parting with Demar or Davis would have to be involved.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                          We would certainly be a much better team if that trade went through. Only issue there is zero chance of Williams dropping to 5. Also I'd assume the Suns would want a young player with significant upside especially if they are taking Jose's contract back so parting with Demar or Davis would have to be involved.
                          If the numbers work, Williams is all the upside they need. We don't need to include Demar or Ed in this case. Not at all. As for Williams dropping to the five, why not? The first five teams have a glut of 4's on their teams with the exception of Cleveland (if you consider Hickson a glut).

PS> Nash's salary ain't cheap so it's a wash with Calderon's.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=272jshq

Why not? Williams is an Arizona product so from a marketing and future standpoint, it would be great for Phoenix. This is contingent of course that Williams falls all the way down to us.
                          Last edited by Balls of Steel; Thu Jun 23, 2011, 09:59 AM.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            If the numbers work, Williams is all the upside they need. We don't need to include Demar or Ed in this case. Not at all. As for Williams dropping to the five, why not? The first five teams have a glut of 4's on their teams with the exception of Cleveland (if you consider Hickson a glut).

PS> Nash's salary ain't cheap so it's a wash with Calderon's.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=272jshq

Why not? Williams is an Arizona product so from a marketing and future standpoint, it would be great for Phoenix. This is contingent of course that Williams falls all the way down to us.
                            I hear ya on the marketing campaign it might take some of the sting away of Nash leaving by selling a local kid to the fan base.

Irving is going 1 for sure no doubt about it. The Wolves will likely take Williams but lets say for argument sake they are high on Kantar and select him instead. Utah is in the middle of competing and rebuilding and Williams seems to good to pass up but lets sat they take Knight as that's been the rumor for weeks no. The Cavs are doing the American version of the lotto 649 happy dance as pairing Irving and Williams is a dream come true and would be a great foundation going forward. The draft is full of variables but in no way can I see Williams dropping to 5 but I could be wrong. Zero% chance may be wrong but saying 5% would still sound too generous. Only way we land Williams is by making a deal with the Wolves in my eyes.

Comment

steps wrote: View Post
                              I saw this posted in the 'latest web articles' late last night and it seemed too good to be true. If you find the original blog that posted these comments, Nash made this remark in a media scrum at his soccer tournament, and was specifically asked about if he'd like to come to Toronto. How else is the guy going to respond without offending the city or country?

I'd love for this to be true, but I think his comments are being blown out of proportion. On the other hand ... who knows, maybe something is cooking. Looks like bad reporting to me though.
                              If he said "I am looking to win a championship before I retire, the Raptors are in a rebuilding phase and so our goals don't match", I seriously don't see anyone getting upset.

Comment

Working...
                              X