Let's get Tracy back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get Tracy back!

So slow day at work, thought I could make it more fun checking the trade machine and came up with this sort of trade:
    Toronto gets: McGrady, Scola and Ariza
    Houston gets: Bosh, Turkoglu and Banks
    Let's say that this is doable only if Colangelo knows for sure that Bosh wants out 'cos he's a great player and blah blah blah.
    But if we are in that situation, we would do it 'cos we would get rid of Turk contract (and why not? Banks too) and we would get in exchange a quality SF much better suited to us and to Calderon's style (who could return safely in the starting lineup). Ariza is signed for 4 years at a very reasonable contract unlike Turk. We would also get a gritty and undevalued PF in Scola to make up for Bosh. He is a RFA at the end of the year, so we would have to do all we can to keep him with us for the future. Last, but not least, we would have Tracy back. If he's back in full shape well he's one of the best underachivers in the history of the game, but still one of the best. His huge contract expires at the end of the year, so we could either try to resign him with a downsized contract, or, if he doesn't work, we let him walk and play DeMar and use MLE (we should still be above the cap) to sign a backup SG.
    That would give us a lineup of:
    Calderon
    McGrady/DeRozan
    Ariza
    Scola
    Bargnani
    If you ask me this is a second round team at least.
    Why Houston does it? Well they get rid of Tracy and they get something in return for him (well a lot not only something). They know that the only way to improve their roster is via trade. They have no cap space available at the end of the season if they resign Landry and rest, so if they want to add a top tier player they have to trade for him. They would have a star in Bosh to be coupled with Ming. They could also be interested in Turk, since they would want to contend straight away and Turk in the right system is a hell of a contributor and I feel that along Ming and Battier and coached by Adelman Turk would be in the right system.
    Any thoughts?

So McGrady bolts at the end of the season to play with a contender and the Raptors are still left with no cap space and a trade that essentially was Bosh for Scola and Ariza? No thank you.

Comment

bosh-turk (the more I see him the less I want him here)- Banks (he can stay, but a third stringer PG for 4,5 milions? Really?) for Ariza, Scola and the MLE (which I think we wouldn't have if Bosh walks am I correct?) as a worst case scenario yes.
      Best case scenario: see above plus McGrady for 10/15 milions.
      I still think that this is a better move than a straight Bosh/Bynum swap. Or do you think that:
      Calderon/Jack
      DeRozan
      Turkoglu
      Bargnani
      Bynum
      is a better lineup?

Comment

How do you know if McGrady can still play at a high level? From what I read, he can't.

A Bosh/Bynum swap does not work as per the CBA.

Comment

I don't, nobody knows. If he does not work well we are not stuck with him after june. If he does he might as well sign with us and I suspect that he would not aim at the same 22 milions he's getting now.
          The next 3 months of play would tell you. The risk is minimum (we don't make the P.O. instead of a first round exit), the possible reward high since a lineup such as the one I highlighted before with a healty McGrady might have an outside shot at eastern finals.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            How do you know if McGrady can still play at a high level? From what I read, he can't.

A Bosh/Bynum swap does not work as per the CBA.
            Yeah I know it doesn't, but that's the main rumor out there now. It would probably be Bynum+Farmar+Morrison. Still think that Ariza+Scola+McGrady is a far superior combination

Comment

I would have to disagree. Bynum is a 22 year old 7'0" prototypical center who will be a multi-time all-star. Those are rare. He's also locked up for five more seasons so the Raptors could build around him, Bargnani and DeRozan. Scola and Ariza are both good but Bynum offers far more potential. McGrady doesn't make the deal look any better in my eyes.

Comment

Fair opinion. I think it all depends where you think Bynum ceiling is. If you feel he will be multiple time all-star than hell yeah a lineup with him there would be awesome. Then of course he would be better than two solid NBA starters. I just don't see him becoming a superstar without L.A. glamour and media pushing him to that perceived status and we would still have Turkoglu's contract hounting us for the next 3/4 years

Comment

I am not calling Bynum a future superstar, I am calling him a future perennial all-star. I'm not sure why you're so down on Andrew Bynum. He's 22 years old and is already in his 5th season. He has a lot of years left before he reaches his prime. The Raptors will not get back a superstar for Bosh so all they can do is hope to get back the best young player possible. Scola and Ariza aren't going to take the Raptors to great heights in my mind. I'd rather concentrated talent in a deal in one player than receive a couple above average players back. If Bosh gets moved the Raptors aren't exactly going to contend with Bynum or with Scola and Ariza... But to me, looking forward to the next five years or so, a core of Bynum, Bargnani and DeRozan looks far better than Scola, Bargnani, Ariza and DeRozan. Scola's can be had for the MLE and so too can Trevor Ariza's but you're not landing a center like Bynum unless you pony up $10-$15M/yr in free agency or a star through a trade.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Scola's can be had for the MLE.
                    I don't know, it's hard for him because this year free agent class is full of stars but i think he's worth more than the MLE, he's a great rebounder, a decent scorer and a player with a very high basketball IQ in both ends of the floor

Comment

to be honest, i hate the trade. Turkoglu is not going to houston. eff that lame idea. have you guys not figured out that mcgrady is a softy and much worse than hedo on his bad days?

Comment

mh true Turkoglu is not going to Houston because.....
                        Does he have any option in his contract saying he can refuse trade destinations? Wasn't aware of that are you?
                        McGrady is soft? True. Softer than Hedo? Maybe. More talented than Hedo? For sure. Are we going to pay him 12 milions when he's 35? No.
                        It's a lot about that. This trade would give us a better (for us) SF (Ariza) at half the price we are paying now for that position. On top of that he's 5 years younger.

Comment

If Scola's available for the MLE - sign him up! The guy can play!
                          Can't see Scola getting ignored by everybody with cap space or S&T possibilities.

AND Let's never, ever try to get Tracy back! Old, Bad knees, Doesn't want to be here!
                          Never trade a player for Cap space! Talent for talent trades only! Unless you like losing.
                          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                          X