No announcement yet.

Raptors Draft Day Information & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draft Express is tweeting that teams are contacting the Kings about getting their #7 pick and are being told that they have already traded it. No one knows who to though or who is coming back!

http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress/s...89004382502912

Edit: Hollinger is reporting that the Bucks are the buyers of #7. Is Bogut moving? That would be insane!
    Last edited by Shantz; Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:12 PM.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Guys...I've been a Raptor fan since Isaiah ripped through the Raptor logo with that silly leather Raptor jacket on so believe me, I know how great having a center would be. But Enes Kanter is far from a sure thing and I would hate to see us roll the dice on a guy who the only real footage we have of him playing is from high school. The fact that he tore things up in what was essentially an All-Star game where there are no set defenses and the players not giving their best effort does little to alleviate this concern. I understand that he is a workout monster but anyone who puts stock in that has got the wrong idea. I think he will probably be a Darko Milicic type which is useful but would any of us trade the #5 for Darko? I think not.

It's funny how year after year people ignore what players have done their entire careers and get seduced by the measurables. I wouldn't take this guy in the top 5 at all.

Comment

Bucks Are The Mystery Team

Bucks appear to have deal with Sacamento for No. 7
        Source: Twitter / @GeryWoelfel

Comment

boooooooooooooo
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
            And don't forget, those who are looking for a social setting tonight for a "rip and a snort" in Toronto with fellow Raptors fans, we're hosting a draft party at St. Louis Bar & Grill.
            St Louis would get pretty upset if i showed up farting and doing bumps of blow

Comment

thatpeterguy wrote: View Post
              Guys...I've been a Raptor fan since Isaiah ripped through the Raptor logo with that silly leather Raptor jacket on so believe me, I know how great having a center would be. But Enes Kanter is far from a sure thing and I would hate to see us roll the dice on a guy who the only real footage we have of him playing is from high school. The fact that he tore things up in what was essentially an All-Star game where there are no set defenses and the players not giving their best effort does little to alleviate this concern. I understand that he is a workout monster but anyone who puts stock in that has got the wrong idea. I think he will probably be a Darko Milicic type which is useful but would any of us trade the #5 for Darko? I think not.

It's funny how year after year people ignore what players have done their entire careers and get seduced by the measurables. I wouldn't take this guy in the top 5 at all.
              ANYONE available at 5 has question marks. And despite what everyone says, there's more evidence than simply one game. Yes there's less than most of the other players, but it really shouldn't take that long to figure out whether a guy is a player, and Kanter looks like a player, to me.

I do find it interesting that you're warning us about picking Kanter because there's not enough evidence, but it doesn't stop YOU from predicting he's going to be Darko. Either you have enough evidence to judge him or you don't. You can't have it both ways.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

the bball jones have us taking kemba
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Count me among those who wouldn't be put out drafting Biyombo. I think his vocal nature and leadership qualities are exactly what's needed for this team.

All reports are that he's got a fantastic understanding of the game. Given that the 5 is the hardest spot to learn and takes the longest to develop, his knowledge and willingness to lead is an asset that I think is significantly undervalued. It is, to me, what separates Biyombo from others like him who have come on in a flash around draft time only to disappear into bust territory. All those players were raw skill-wise, as is Byombo, however they also largely possessed a deep lack of knowledge and will to get better, significantly unlike Biyombo.

Biyombo is a general. Book it, he will be a good player. I doubt he's the player that will push the Raps over the edge into "good" territory, but he won't be a bust, and players like him are hard to find.

I'm coming around to Knight as well. I really like his shooting ability, and his potential to be a good defender. Though he isn't - and won't be - that "star" that the Raps need, I do think he could, and probably will be, better than Jerryd Bayless.
                  Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Thu Jun 23, 2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Why is picking Biyombo a clear sign of covering for Bargnani? If you don't want Bargnani to be on the team anymore, you still need a center, no? I don't get it.

And I'm not arguing for Biyombo at 5; I just don't get the logic.

Comment

The Draft - Thought?

Some technical trouble around here. Assuming all the fans swamped this place. We got Valanciunis. I was shocked for a few moments and then realized it's a great pick. If we felt no one was good enough for now for our team, planning for the future is what we should do. Heard rumors he might be able to join us late next year.

Brave pick by a GM with 2 years and an option to work with. And on other Boards (sorry, we were down) I saw more racist and ignorant comments than I cared to deal with. Hope for future "big nites" that RR can make itself able to handle all the extra input. And still, thanks for a great site.
                      “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

It was fine. Aside from Kanter, I didn't have much preference for one over the other between Walker, Knight and Valanciunas. Hopefully Valanciunas can prove me wrong.

The racist, ignorant, bigoted comments are really surprising coming from Canadians. I expect that sort of thing from ignorant Americans, but I guess ignorance exists everywhere.

Not really sure why all the hate though. It's not like BC went and picked some random player just because he's European. Valanciunas is highly regarded by a lot of people who actually cover basketball, and was slated to be drafted at #4. The San Antonio rumor, if true, had them wanting to acquire him. Guess it's okay for San Antonio to bring in international players to continue their decade long reign, but not for our 22 win team.

Comment

And I hope all the people at the Grill are having a great time. Wish I could have been there.
                          “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

The Raptors website had a live chat and it was a disaster. 90% hating the pick. It was terrifically funny, but at the same time a little nauseating.

Problems with the draft pick:
                            -white
                            -Euro (like Aruajo (SA but who cares, his name is foreign)
                            -like Barney (in spite of the fact he is the anti-Barney)
                            -BCSUCKSFIREHIMIWANTTOWINNEXTYEARANDONLYBEMEDIOCREB UTNOTAPOSSIBLECONTENDER!

Comment

With the Spurs reportedly hot for JV, then trading for Leonard who is not a shooter/proto Spurs player (good defensively though), selecting Canadian Cory Joseph...I feel there may be a trade happening here and possibly a larger one including Jose to help with the traded Hill.

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
                                The Raptors website had a live chat and it was a disaster. 90% hating the pick. It was terrifically funny, but at the same time a little nauseating.

Problems with the draft pick:
                                -white
                                -Euro (like Aruajo (SA but who cares, his name is foreign)
                                -like Barney (in spite of the fact he is the anti-Barney)
                                -BCSUCKSFIREHIMIWANTTOWINNEXTYEARANDONLYBEMEDIOCREB UTNOTAPOSSIBLECONTENDER!
                                yeah that was ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X