No announcement yet.

The Official "Welcome to Toronto, Jonas Valanciunas!" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted Bismack but I'm fine with this pick. Welcome to the Raptors!

Comment

Way back when I first started reading about the draft I was hoping the Raps would take him. As more info came out on his buyout and contract issues I sort of got scared off but he is probably the best player that was available and could end up being the best player in the whole draft in a couple years. Pretty pumped about this, it was a ballsy pick on BC's part and I think it will work out.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I'm gonna boo him in his first game here.

I wonder where Colangelo will be working at that point.

Comment

I was a little disappointed that Kanter didn't fall, but was ecstatic that Colangelo picked Valanciunas. I can't believe anyone would have been disappointed with this selection. He was my second choice, after Kanter, he is basically the opposite of whats-his-name, and he's the guy the Spurs apparently wanted. I'd say they had a VERY good draft.

My only worry is, with him not coming over for another year, does that mean....I can't even say it.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I am not please at all that we picked a player that will not play for us this year. One thing I can say for sure is this kid needs to put on 20lbs of muscle. I seen so much reaching in this draft is becoming a bad trend.

Comment

Colangelo did the right thing. Now he just needs to sell the pick to all those fans expecting instant gratification.

Comment

If he can be half of what Sabonis was, I'll be happy with this pick. But that's asking a lot. Some argue that Sabonis was one of the greatest players ever. Not just in Europe, but world wide and this kid grew up loving Sabonis. This was a gamble, but it's not like Toronto had big title hopes anyway. But who knows? Maybe this pick doesn't stay. Still too early.
                Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Colangelo did the right thing. Now he just needs to sell the pick to all those fans expecting instant gratification.
                  I have an idea that will make BC look good again... trade Bargnani

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I was a little disappointed that Kanter didn't fall, but was ecstatic that Colangelo picked Valanciunas. I can't believe anyone would have been disappointed with this selection. He was my second choice, after Kanter, he is basically the opposite of whats-his-name, and he's the guy the Spurs apparently wanted. I'd say they had a VERY good draft.

My only worry is, with him not coming over for another year, does that mean....I can't even say it.
                    Yes, it's looking like it does mean Bargnani will be here this season...unless...Toronto ships Bargnani to Lithuania so that Jonas can come here. Haha, if only it worked like that.
                    Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      I am not please at all that we picked a player that will not play for us this year. One thing I can say for sure is this kid needs to put on 20lbs of muscle. I seen so much reaching in this draft is becoming a bad trend.
                      How is it reaching if he was regarded by many in the know as the best player available? If anything, he slipped to us.

Comment

Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          I'm gonna boo him in his first game here.

I wonder where Colangelo will be working at that point.
                          If you're a supporter of this team, and I'll take it that you are considering that you're posting on a Raptors fan forum, why on earth would you boo the kid? And for no good reason to boot.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            How is it reaching if he was regarded by many in the know as the best player available? If anything, he slipped to us.
                            look at him he is not physically ready for this league granted he has a year at least now to do that. But seriously we did nothing for this year in this draft no one here should be happy about that because we WILL over pay in Free agency.

Comment

Not only was he the BPA, he was the best asset available too.

Which NBA players are most consistently overpaid? Athletic big men that rebound, block shots and have good motors. Not hard to figure out why: they're perpetually in high demand and supply is perpetually short. More importantly, since he'll be playing another year in a comfortable setting, his value is very likely to increase heading into a draft next year that includes a lot more of what the franchise really needs: dynamic backcourt/wing play. He also instantly puts Amir on the block, potentially even Ed Davis, and hopefully but unfortunately not likely, Andrea Bargnani. Those are some solid assets for BC to dangle.

I like the long term approach. The next 5 years or so will belong to Miami, Chicago and OKC unless they screw it up, there's no sense trying to rush to improve your club in the next 2 years. If BC plays his cards right he could add some real talent to the club in the second year of his deal, and set himself up for that third year extension. Good to see he didn't panic and choose the player that would have the most immediate impact at the cost of long-term success.

Hopefully BC doesn't spoil it by trading for Richard Jefferson. Makes you wonder if a Tony Parker deal isn't far away though, and then I'd print this post and eat it.

Comment

Jonas better than Tyson at that age?

"Chandler at the same age was not as good as this young man," Casey said. "So I know how important length, athleticism, speed and quickness is. He's not a plodder, he's not robotic.

"So those things excited me as a coach."
                                Source: TSN.ca

I hope the big man refines his english. He's going to get bombarded with media all the time. He looked dumbfounded mostly through his interviews thus far. When he says "I don't" I think he means "I don't understand the question" and not "I don't know the answer to hardly anything you're asking me".

Comment

Working...
                                X