The Official "Welcome to Toronto, Jonas Valanciunas!" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grindhouse wrote: View Post
    look at him he is not physically ready for this league granted he has a year at least now to do that. But seriously we did nothing for this year in this draft no one here should be happy about that because we WILL over pay in Free agency.
    If you're not looking or thinking long term, chances are, you're not diggin on the selection. Aside from Biyombo, what other prospect that was available, and was not a reach at 5 is physically ready?

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
      I am not please at all that we picked a player that will not play for us this year. One thing I can say for sure is this kid needs to put on 20lbs of muscle. I seen so much reaching in this draft is becoming a bad trend.
      Who cares if he's the best player available, which he was. Besides, there might not even BE a season for him to miss. So the guy needs to put on some muscle. Does that make it a bad pick?
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Who cares if he's the best player available, which he was. Besides, there might not even BE a season for him to miss. So the guy needs to put on some muscle. Does that make it a bad pick?
        But.. but.. Bismack was available and he does everything Jonas V does except better and is younger, has more muscle and arguably potential.

That being said I don't think it's a great pick but I don't think its a horrible pick.
        Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 12:38 AM.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          The only concern would be is he's 19, and already 7feet, with much euro experience with lots more potential. And we know who the last player we picked who had the exact same credentials. And now everybody wants this player's head.
          Except he won't be historically bad at the things required from his position.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            But.. but.. Bismack was available and he does everything Jonas V does except better and is younger, has more muscle and arguably potential.

That being said I don't think it's a great pick but I don't think its a horrible pick.
            Biyombo was a risky pick right from the get-go. I don't know you can say that Biyombo is better. What do you base it on? As for the younger part, well, the jury is still out. The only thing he has over Valanciunas is that he's physically capable right now.

Comment

listened to BCo on Fan 590....dude sounded mad confident.
              As did Casey... so now I need to do my own homework.
              I remember reading this guy was the mad fouler in Europe.
              Has that improved any the last half of the season?

Any new video on the kid?

Really would like to know what I'm missing.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                It was the main reason I wasn't sure about taking a Euro big, the environment in Toronto is so poisoned that it doesn't seem like an ideal environment for a young big man to grow and develop. I guess we'll see.
                This is sad but true. Sad because we're already so pathetic, we don't need more limitations on our ability to find talent.

Comment

time will tell whether its a bad pick or not but as of right now we have done nothing this year which based on the success of last year we are a 22 win team. I like his height and length but don't like his size and the fact that he is not playing this year.

Comment

My only worry is, with him not coming over for another year, does that mean....I can't even say it.
                    Haha, I thought that very thought. If the season doesn't get locked out and he stays in Europe for another year, unless BC can find a serviceable center it's another year of your arch-nemesis. =)

Comment

Comment

I don't understand the rush to bring him over. Let him play the next season overseas. Let him hone his game. The kid has major potential and we're doing a proper rebuild. I'm happy.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          I don't understand the rush to bring him over. Let him play the next season overseas. Let him hone his game. The kid has major potential and we're doing a proper rebuild. I'm happy.
                          ya i feel that way too but at the same time want to see him here starting at the 5 while bargnani crys on the bench until he gets traded.

Comment

To me, this draft reminded me a lot of the first ever Raptors draft... the majority of fans were screaming for the NCAA tournament darling Ed O'Bannon, just like they were screaming for Walker/Knight tonight... the majority was left disappointed and out for blood, but management knew best and it turned out being a great pick (Mighty Mouse).

I think this kid is going to be a stud. He is only 19, is huge already, has a solid frame to add muscle mass to, plays inside and rebounds (opposite style game to Bargnani), seems to be a nice, humble guy, is excited to come to Toronto... what more could Raps fans want?

Even if he takes another year to get here, so what? So the Raps go with a rotation of Davis/Bargnani/Amir and a free agent big for one more year... is it really that bad???
                            - Davis gets loads of playing time to develop
                            - DeRozan gets a year as an offensive focal point and a chance to develop further at both ends of the court
                            - Bayless gets a chance to prove his critics wrong (me included)
                            - Bargnani gets a season to prove to the new defensive-guru coach that he can commit to defense/rebounding, or he gets traded at the trade deadline or next offseason
                            - the young core gets another year to develop some chemisty
                            - the Raps finish in the lottery and get a chance to address the SF position in the next draft (ie: Barnes)
                            --> then in the 2012-2013 season they'll be adding 2 top-notch pieces (ie: Barnes & Valanciunus) to the team... I am excited for the future of the franchise... and something tells me BC will be busy this offseason!
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

After thinking it over, I don't mind the pick. I hope he stays in Europe for another year to develop his game further and put on some muscle before coming over here. This will also aid in the tanking we'll be doing next year for another lottery pick.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                I listened to BC's post draft interview, and he said that he is concerned that if Jonas stays in Europe 1 more year that BC might send a coach there to help Jonas develop because BC doesn't think Jonas has enough support over there to develop properly . BC said that if Jonas got the buyout and came to Toronto Jonas could reach his full potential quicker because of the Raps resources. BC also mentioned that Jonas' current team just fired there head coach and have just hired a new one, so BC would like to coordinate some stuff with him if Jonas stays.
                                Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Working...
                                X