The Official "Welcome to Toronto, Jonas Valanciunas!" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heinz57 wrote: View Post
    Ya... there's always stuff we'd like... i'd like the ACC to serve Kronenbourg 1664 instead of that swill they pass of as draught beer..

but the post-season is far from done. your dream still has a chance... mine doesnt
    Eloquently put.

Comment

How obscure would it be to play with the idea of moving Bargs to the 3? I know he's 7 feet tall and would be bigger than the average players who play at 6'9. However, if we play with the idea of it for next year I think we can gain something out of it. Say Jonas plays in January as BC was saying. Placing Bargs to the 3 does not hurt Ed/Amir in their positions. We accept that no one can teach him how to play defence and just let him shoot, just shoot.

Comment

If you guys get some extra time today, check out the Cavs board. They are absolutely ripping on the Tristan Thompson pick, especially over Valanciunas.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
          I have said everything I want to say about Jonas on the Front Page (Posting as "JW").

The one thing I want to get across is that even if JV does not work out from the start, guys of his size/skill/wingspan are very valuable assets in this league.

Do you guys know what happens to guards that don't work out? They get waived. The league is awash with guards that just could not make it to the next level. There is not as much patience shown to them that big men receive. Kwame was still traded for Gasol, Darko still commended a lot of interest even though he was a known headcase and a bust.

I think this is a HIGH Value pick. If he does not mesh defensively with our team, his size/skill/iq is more than enough to get a team or two drooling. You can't teach size. Due to his size and youth, this guy will have a serious window of VALUE for the next 5 years, mark my words.
          Bingo! Even serviceable guards that aren't top grade get traded around for next to nothing, while decent bigs with some potential continue to command high value. Nobody evaluated Valanciunas saw his upside based on his outside shooting, but rather on his size/length, mobility, footwork, touch and tenacity. I haven't seen any evaluation suggesting that he has bust potential, even though there are plenty of folks who are wary because of previous busts like Darko. If this guy stays healthy he will be good, and maybe great. At his size, you just can't pass that sort of potential for a guard unless they are can't miss stars. I would have been okay with Knight, but far prefer JV for the Raptors. Oh, and I don't think that Knight will have much impact for a couple of years anyway. He is still very raw and will take a few years to reach his potential as a PG.

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
            Bingo! Even serviceable guards that aren't top grade get traded around for next to nothing, while decent bigs with some potential continue to command high value. Nobody evaluated Valanciunas saw his upside based on his outside shooting, but rather on his size/length, mobility, footwork, touch and tenacity. I haven't seen any evaluation suggesting that he has bust potential, even though there are plenty of folks who are wary because of previous busts like Darko. If this guy stays healthy he will be good, and maybe great. At his size, you just can't pass that sort of potential for a guard unless they are can't miss stars. I would have been okay with Knight, but far prefer JV for the Raptors. Oh, and I don't think that Knight will have much impact for a couple of years anyway. He is still very raw and will take a few years to reach his potential as a PG.
            +1. Look at Biedrins in Golden State (who happens to be a projected worst case for JV). They're mentioning Ellis more than Biedrins in trade rumours!!!!
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              If you guys get some extra time today, check out the Cavs board. They are absolutely ripping on the Tristan Thompson pick, especially over Valanciunas.
              From John Krolik - Cavs: The Blog

The Cavaliers honestly believe that Tristan Thompson is a better prospect than Jonas Valanciunas.

Maybe this is what Chris Grant and Co. believe, and they have more scouting information than I do, but I would disagree with that assessment. Thompson can’t play center, can’t shoot or score in the post, doesn’t pass, draws a lot of fouls, is a serious shot-blocker, and is a great rebounder.

The Cavs certainly needed a shot in the arm when it came to defense and rebounding, but I have no earthly idea how a Varejao (who is Cleveland’s best player)/Thompson frontcourt is supposed to work. Andy can play the center position, but he’s better as a four, and needs someone who can either stretch the floor, post-up and give him opportunities to cut, or make good cuts himself and let Andy operate from the high post. Thompson can do none of those things.

The Cavs came into this draft with one really good player under the age of 30, and that player is a great defense-and-rebounding power forward. With a top-5 pick, they took a defense-and-rebounding power forward instead of a potential franchise center who is a true seven-footer, had a higher overall FG% than Thompson did on shots at the rim, and makes 85-90% of his free throws instead of 48% of them. I’m having a hard time selling myself on this pick.

The Cavs got the best player in the draft and got a defensive upgrade that they desperately needed, but I can’t help but feel like they royally screwed up the Valanciunas situation and missed a great chance to put two core pieces in place for the future. However, we won’t know any of this until we actually see Thompson on the floor next season, assuming there is one, and Valanciunas on the floor in 2012-13, assuming he comes over. For now, the team is better today than it was yesterday. The only problem is that it’s hard to shake the feeling they could have done a lot better in this draft.

A-men.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

...just goes to show you, you can't make everyone happy. I hate the euro league with the best of them, but I am super content with this pick.

(I wanted to walk away with a big man, and we got the 2nd BEST BIG MAN in the draft! In some circles, the big men with the most upside! @ #5 LOL, this was a good draft... there is nothing to cry about.... and I was one of the dudes that would of chopped BC's head off without a second thought. )
                Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

When is jonas gonna come to the nba? I think he has a buyout or something
                  http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

Mr.Grinch wrote: View Post
                    When is jonas gonna come to the nba? I think he has a buyout or something
                    TBA. BC is going to go over to see what he can do, but my money is on him waiting to see if there is a lockout, if yes then leaves him there for the year (reported buy-out was decent but for after next euro-season), if no lockout then he works hard on it.

Comment

• I'm just glad that we didn't end up getting Vesely. That was the only name I did not want Stern to say when the Raptors were up.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        Love this pick.. love, love, love it.

Here's a snippet of instant analysis of the Valanciunas pick, courtesy of Chad Ford:

The Raptors know international players and they may feel that they finally have found a real center. He's a true low-post player with a good motor,
                        Welcome to Toronto, Jonas!
                        If I hear 'good motor' again I am going to jump off a bridge. I miss the good ol' days where Hubie Brown would kick around the old most hated draft term 'Maximum upside potential'..

"I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• I'll start by first admitting that other than highlight reels I have never seen JV play. That being said all the highlight reels reveal is he is long, has good hands and finishes well against euro trash when he slips on the P&R. haven't seen a hint of a post game. Nothing. Maybe it's due to his frame? But being from Fundamental obsessed Europe I'm amazed he doesn't have even a mini hook, no turnaround, nothing with his back to the basket etc. Like a young Bosh without the range but with better length. His FT shooting is great so at least he can be relied on there.

I'm down on Euros it's true. Euro League is nice but it's not the NCAA and these guys take longer to develop as a general rule and even with all the skills and experience some of the best don't translate to the NBA. Add to that that JVs game/body is not NBA ready at all and I'm mystified. MAybe he comes next year, maybe the year after that, maybe he stays in Europe 2 years, who knows? Young, skinny bigs are a risk, young, skinny euro bigs are a bigger risk. I'm not hating, it's just a fact.

With this draft being what it is I'm not entirely devestated by this pick (he looks better than Hoffa, Esposito etc) but I was really hoping for Knight when he dropped or even Kawhi who's length and ability to D up on the wing are so very needed on this squad. I really hope I'm wrong about Vala but right now I'm very disappointed in BCo.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            +1. Look at Biedrins in Golden State (who happens to be a projected worst case for JV). They're mentioning Ellis more than Biedrins in trade rumours!!!!
                            Uh, maybe because Bierdrins is an overrated defender and rebounder (on a team where no one else plays D or rebounds), is fragile, can't hit fts to save his life and gets paid too much whereas Ellis is, you know, an actual NBA talent with near elite scoring ability. Ellis has value, Bierdrins has next to none except to Toronto fans for some insane reason.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• I can understand those who would have preferred Knight, but he is going to take at least a couple of years to have any substantial impact on the team. I think the Raptors will have other options to upgrade at PG, either by trade or through the draft in the next couple of years. I still can't understand how people think someone like Leonard would have been better than JV as a pick. He has freakishly long arms and rebounds, but JV is much taller and rebounds at a high rate in a much tougher league. Besides, Leonard got traded for George Hill. Would you have traded #5 for George Hill? Think about it.

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post
                                If I hear 'good motor' again I am going to jump off a bridge. I miss the good ol' days where Hubie Brown would kick around the old most hated draft term 'Maximum upside potential'..

So you would have prefered to have a draft selection that is unathletic and slow? Good motor is considered a good thing, especially when we're going forward with a defensive mentality.

Comment

Working...
                                X