No announcement yet.

So Bayless is the future PG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this year however is where the real treasure can be had. if the raps somehow finagle another 1st round pick and take a pg to go along with whatever sf we end up with i'll be pleased as punch.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i do think though that getting a solid vet would do some good to help mentor bayless/whoever we might end up getting through the draft or whatever. i like jose and think hes a solid player and will never wish any ill will towards him when he finally gets moved but the team needs a leader at the point. calderons got the skills but i don't know about his head.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        i do think though that getting a solid vet would do some good to help mentor bayless/whoever we might end up getting through the draft or whatever. i like jose and think hes a solid player and will never wish any ill will towards him when he finally gets moved but the team needs a leader at the point. calderons got the skills but i don't know about his head.
        His head? What do you mean by that. Calderon has shown himself to be a solid influence on the club, and has been one of the few Raptors to show any leadership abilities. If it weren't for his age, I could see him being the long term solution at PG for the Raptors.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I have a feeling we're going to see a situation similar to the one we had when TJ Ford was here. The two of them (Jose and Jared) will likely split minutes almost evenly, depending on matchups, to give us changes of pace. This will be an important year for Jared and I think it will be his last chance to make enough of a name for himself that he'll be able to have a career. That's what I expect anyway, who knows what Coach Casey is thinking.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

i think all he needs is some proper training and practice. If the coaching staff can work with him on the things he needs to improve on (i.e running the offense, passing etc...) then he'll do great. He also needs to figure out how his teammates like to play and develop better chemistry with them. I have high hopes for him next season

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              His head? What do you mean by that. Calderon has shown himself to be a solid influence on the club, and has been one of the few Raptors to show any leadership abilities. If it weren't for his age, I could see him being the long term solution at PG for the Raptors.
              well he's a great passer, but he can't score for s*** he just doesn't look for his shots and he doesn't have the athletisism to get to the rim and finish in traffic. Bayless is still very young(i think only 22),he has quickness and athletisism, and he has shown that he can pass effectively if he tries.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                well he's a great passer, but he can't score for s*** he just doesn't look for his shots and he doesn't have the athletisism to get to the rim and finish in traffic. Bayless is still very young(i think only 22),he has quickness and athletisism, and he has shown that he can pass effectively if he tries.
                Calderon is a pass first PG. Quite frankly, there's no nearly enough of those in the NBA, nowadays. Generally, Calderon is able to score enough to keep defenses honest. And that's fine for a PG. Would it be nice if Calderon were better at getting to the rim and being able to finish in traffic? Sure. Is it necessary for your PG to do that? No. What's far, far more important than a PG that scores or gets to the rim is one who knows how to run an offense and make his teammates better. And Calderon is incredibly underrated at this among most Raptors fans. These are the same fans who were clamouring to get a guy like Rodney Stuckey, who does get to the rim and finish in traffic. Unfortunately he has no idea how to run and offense and make his teammates better.

Bayless certainly has the physical abilities and even many of the skills that fans covet, but he's still a LONG ways off from being a real PG. Most of the assists he gets are drive and dishes, not running the offense. There are several problems with this. The first is that he's not getting his assists in the flow of the offense. Unless your PG is Derrick Rose, it usually means an inefficient offense that is not diverse and prone to long draughts. It also makes it very easily defended. Calderon, for all his faults, is a very good PG.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

As a long time Calderon supporter I do feel like I should point out that I was impressed by Bayless' defense as a starter the last stretch of games. I would probably start bayless and would split their minutes 27 21
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                    As a long time Calderon supporter I do feel like I should point out that I was impressed by Bayless' defense as a starter the last stretch of games. I would probably start bayless and would split their minutes 27 21
                    Let me just clarify my position on the PG situation. I have no problem whatsoever with giving Bayless more minutes next season. However much I like Calderon, his age makes it unlikely that he can be in the long term plans of the Raptors even if they wanted him to be. Bayless is still quite young with a lot of potential. He's in a perfect situation, right now, where development of players takes precedence over wins, so forcefeeding him minutes isn't a problem. I wouldn't hand him the starting spot, but certainly let him compete for it. If he is deserving, give him more minutes as the season goes on and see how he develops. By the end of the season, the Raptors should be able to tell whether he is capable of becoming a top 15 PG.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bayless still needs to mature quite a bit before we can start calling him our starting point guard of the future. His competitiveness is one of his greatest assets but he also lets it get out of control on a somewhat regular basis. He's prone to getting sucked into glorified games of 1-on-1 against opposing point guards (aka TJ Ford Syndrome), his body language and attitude is often poor when he's subbed out of the game or not getting the minutes he feels he deserves, and he's already worn out his welcome on two playoff teams because he was reportedly unhappy with the amount of time he was receiving.

Bayless really struggled with coming off the bench last year. He'd get in the game and would be so anxious to make a play that he'd often turn it over or force up a couple of bad shots before getting the hook again. Of course, this would just make him even more upset and he'd normally follow up his first stretch of playing time with a similarly poor second crack at it. Like I said before, I think this ultimately stems from his competitiveness but at some point you have to be able to reign that in and be a pro if you want to really make an impact in this league.

There's no doubt that the kid is talented. Just take a look at his high school and college pedigree. But there's much more to being a good player in the NBA than just possessing the physical tools, especially at the PG spot. He'll get plenty of opportunities this season because his poor behavior can fall through the cracks on a lottery bound team with not much talent, but I wouldn't appoint him out point guard for the next 7 years just yet. He's got to prove something to me this year.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        There's no doubt that the kid is talented. Just take a look at his high school and college pedigree. But there's much more to being a good player in the NBA than just possessing the physical tools, especially at the PG spot. He'll get plenty of opportunities this season because his poor behavior can fall through the cracks on a lottery bound team with not much talent, but I wouldn't appoint him out point guard for the next 7 years just yet. He's got to prove something to me this year.
                        I completely agree with that statement. We saw last season tha the has the ability to be a very good player. But it is now up to him to prove that he can be that good player consistalntly. That is exactly why I think this season( the hell if there is one) is very important for Bayless. He deserves the chance to prove what he can do. I believe he earned that chance. It is very premature to say he is the future PG now.

Comment

I think it was a case of there not being any good C prospects in next year's draft (while also having some good PG prospects) and JV falling into our laps this year which caused us to pass on Kemba and Knight. If Jose is on our roster opening night (likely, if there is one anyways), he starts, no question. Bayless is going to handle backup PG duties, and has to show next year that he can run an offense effectively if he wants to earn minutes. If Barbosa is traded at the deadline (possible), Bayless could average about 25 mpg backing up both guard spots, and that should be a good gauge of whether or not he has a future with this franchise, whether it be as our starging PG or 6th man. I'm rooting for the guy to succeed, I just hope he's putting in work during the extended offseason and comes out next year ready to prove himself.

Comment

the thing is i see bayless as a PG and he even said so himself during an interview with David amber. Just cause he can score doesn't mean he's a combo guard. I see him like a D rose type PG except with a little less explosiveness and not as good at passing(yet). He still has time to develop and become a top 15 PG like Tim said.

Comment

There is no doubt Bayless has somethings to tighten up in his game to be a legit starting PG in this league. Running the offense and picking his spot is definitely the biggest obstacle for any PG with scoring ability. Very few have that perfect balance (Nash, CP3 and D-Will) and even some all-star caliber PG's are battling that balance (Rose and Westbrook). He just needs time and realistically will having a full season with 25-30 minutes will help continue his growth as a floor general. I love the fact we have Jose on the roster to tutor him and help Bayless's biggest weakness with his biggest strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X