Draft Review From The Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Like Eddie Griffin? Michael Bradley? Mike Sweetney? Rafael Araujo? Sean May? SHeldon Williams? Ike Diogu? Charlie V? Hakim Warrick? Tyrus Thomas? Hilton Armstrong? Patrick O'Bryant? Boone? Sean Wiliiams? Brandan WRight? Joe Alexander? Thabeet? JOrdan Hill? Aldrich? Udoh?

That is not even paying attention to guards or wings.
    lets not forget adam morrison and countless others - soon to add the Jimmer to that list once they see him try to guard

The point is this: the hit ratio is much better with proven NCAA talent. Hoffa sweetness Marcus Fizer Diogu are all tweeners and none of the good GM's would touch them. Also we are talking about a number 5 pick some of those guys mentioned are not even lottery players....

Elite teams have at most 1 or 2 NON-NCAA proven guys in their 8 man rotation. Its a fact the Bulls lakers Mavs OKC portland Boston Miami on and on....

Champions Detroit Chicago Spurs Miami Lakers ... it is a fact (and yes I know kobe did not play in NCAA - he is a freakish exception).
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I think that some of the most vocal criticism of the pick ARE from people who simply don't like him because he's European, and it's painted most critics of the pick the same way. I agree it's unfair.

My feeling, though, is if you aren't a fan who's very knowledgeable, then why the hell do you think you know better than the guy running the team with two Executive of the Year awards? I think what's wrong is that uninformed people don't seem to understand they don't know anything. And apparently aren't afraid of looking stupid.

That's not to say you can't have legitimate concerns about drafting him, but most of the people that seem to HATE the pick simply have no idea what they're talking about, and it's unfortunate that they believe they need to voice their opinion. Generally if I'm not informed about something, I don't spout off about it pretending like I do.

(Keep in mind, this is not directed at you.)
      Outside of the people who don't like the pick for a myraid of different reasons, I'm not so sure people dislike him because he's European, but dislike that BC drafted another European. And thats a distinction that may need to be made here. Now are they taking their anger out on JV, sure. But EVERYONE knew (or should have known) that would happen if BC took Val, Vesley or Motiejunas. BC taking JV was lighting a match in a dynamite factory. Right or wrong the results shouldn't be a suprise.

Raptors history with drafting Euro bigs has not been positive one. And while other teams have had success, the Raps have not. Almost any player in any draft is a risk, but I think its pretty clear this isn't the type of risk a large segment of the Raptors fan base (knowledgeable or not) wanted the organization to take.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
        on the contrary I am almost always right - I have been following and posting about the raps since day 1 when I was a wee lad and barely knew which side of the monitor was viewable.
        Man are you young. That does explain your penchant for being wrong, though.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
          Outside of the people who don't like the pick for a myraid of different reasons, I'm not so sure people dislike him because he's European, but dislike that BC drafted another European. And thats a distinction that may need to be made here. Now are they taking their anger out on JV, sure. But EVERYONE knew (or should have known) that would happen if BC took Val, Vesley or Motiejunas. BC taking JV was lighting a match in a dynamite factory. Right or wrong the results shouldn't be a suprise.

Raptors history with drafting Euro bigs has not been positive one. And while other teams have had success, the Raps have not. Almost any player in any draft is a risk, but I think its pretty clear this isn't the type of risk a large segment of the Raptors fan base (knowledgeable or not) wanted the organization to take.
          The Raptors have drafted 2 European bigs in the first round. Bargnani and Radojevic. Hard to say it's a history.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hell, just read this...
            http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...kies-and-amir/
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

lets not forget adam morrison and countless others - soon to add the Jimmer to that list once they see him try to guard

The point is this: the hit ratio is much better with proven NCAA talent. Hoffa sweetness Marcus Fizer Diogu are all tweeners and none of the good GM's would touch them. Also we are talking about a number 5 pick some of those guys mentioned are not even lottery players....

Elite teams have at most 1 or 2 NON-NCAA proven guys in their 8 man rotation. Its a fact the Bulls lakers Mavs OKC portland Boston Miami on and on....

Champions Detroit Chicago Spurs Miami Lakers ... it is a fact (and yes I know kobe did not play in NCAA - he is a freakish exception).

Comment

and yes I know kobe did not play in NCAA - he is a freakish exception.
                But you do know that LBJ, KG, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Amare, Tyson Chandler all have ZERO NCAA games under their belt?

Comment

Good article but I don't agree with him saying Jonas V is better than Bismack. Bismack iis like a more physically gifted version of Jonas V with a stronger motor. (IMO)
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Jun 25, 2011, 04:09 AM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    Good article but I don't agree with him saying Jonas V is better than Bismack. Bismack iis like a more physically gifted version of Jonas V with a stronger motor. (IMO)
                    And a lot less touch around the basket. That's big. Amir Johnson can shoot 60% because he's got a good touch around the basket, whereas Reggie Evans struggles to shoot 40%. Biyombo certainly intrigued me, and I would have had not problem with the Raptors drafting him, but the consensus seems to be that Valanciunas simply has more potential. I guess we'll have to wait to see if that's true.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X