Draft Review From The Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    The selection of Jonas does nothing to effect that.

1) he is not known for being a top notch defender
    2) he is unlikely to be here next year
    3) doesn't have the size as of yet (and maybe ever) to bang with other big
    4) continues with BC's "Euro" philosophy

thats a pretty distinctive continuation of the existing philosophy and cultre is it not? Don't blame Don Cherry or hockey fans for BC's failures.
    1. He may not be as hyped up as Biyombo on defense, but he is said to be a very good help defender, and just needs to add strength so he can play solid post defense as well.

3. This and his propensity to foul are my main concerns. While it's great that he has a good frame for adding weight, we constantly see players not getting to where they need to be physically.

4. This contradicts #1 quite a bit. There were only two players "known for being a top notch defender"; one was Singleton and the other Biyombo. So no top notch defender or no Euro, which is it? Not to mention, this idea that BC has a "Euro" philosophy is exactly what TheR3dMenace and I take issue with.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
      F? The Raptors picked the best center in the draft, and when you consider that there is high chance of a lockout next year why not let him play regular basketball in Europe instead of playing in the gym against Bargnani and Ajinca.
      You know, I don't understand some fans. The owners and players are billions apart (the NFL don't have an agreement yet either - and they're a RICHER LEAGUE!!!). Jonas is a solid pick (just as solid if not more solid than Ed and Demar). A legit 7-footer who's only 19 and won't float in the perimeter. Shocking how short-sighted people are. Kemba cannot be better than Bayless and Knight is all potential. He's the best player at the fifth spot of this year's draft. Period.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

It's funny but there was a significant contingent of people on here salivating over JV for MONTHS and now there are scathing reactions when the raptors actually pick him. Crazy.

To further refer to the Spurs, they were frantically trying to trade up in this draft (including Wight the raptors if you recall from just yesterday) to get this guy. Good pick. Personally I wanted the team to get another pick and do exactly what Charlotte did getting Kemba and Biyombo, but optimistic with JV.

Comment

And hey, they weren't the Lakers drafting two complete unknowns (who they could have simply brought into camp and tested) while players like Hansbrough and Lighty were still there. It was funny to watch the panel stare blankly at the cameras toss some papers aside in frustration and ask "really? Come on guys."

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
            It's funny but there was a significant contingent of people on here salivating over JV for MONTHS and now there are scathing reactions when the raptors actually pick him. Crazy.

To further refer to the Spurs, they were frantically trying to trade up in this draft (including Wight the raptors if you recall from just yesterday) to get this guy. Good pick. Personally I wanted the team to get another pick and do exactly what Charlotte did getting Kemba and Biyombo, but optimistic with JV.
            You're right, what happened to those guys? I remember a pretty big back-and-forth between Kanter and Valanciunas. People were hating on Kanter more than on Valanciunas. The outburst was kind of surprising; they must not be forum readers.

Comment

thats a pretty distinctive continuation of the existing philosophy and cultre is it not? Don't blame Don
              Cherry or hockey fans for BC's failures.
              Not to mention that the majority of those picks he listed were taken by Jerry Colangelo.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                The difference is the Spurs can afford to take on players that don't come here right away because in the meantime they're still contending for a championship.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  1. He may not be as hyped up as Biyombo on defense, but he is said to be a very good help defender, and just needs to add strength so he can play solid post defense as well.

3. This and his propensity to foul are my main concerns. While it's great that he has a good frame for adding weight, we constantly see players not getting to where they need to be physically.

4. This contradicts #1 quite a bit. There were only two players "known for being a top notch defender"; one was Singleton and the other Biyombo. So no top notch defender or no Euro, which is it? Not to mention, this idea that BC has a "Euro" philosophy is exactly what TheR3dMenace and I take issue with.
                  I have no idea how #1 and #4 contradict each other as they are seperate thoughts. They are mutually exclusive. If I said top notch defenders can't be "Euro" than I could see it. Its irrelevant that Biyombo is considered the top defender and is "Euro"/international, as Biyombo is not JV.

"that BC has a "Euro" philosophy is exactly what TheR3dMenace and I take issue with"

and yet he (BC) does and has stated as such. This isn't so much about JV being European... that independantly would be irrelevant. But, it continues along the same philosophical lines BC has been using of taking European players. I guarantee that if JV turns out to be a hard working player and useful player who can compete at the NBA level, no one will have an issue with him. But right now he doesn't do anything to create that culture shift fans have been expecting.

Its like having a kid who keeps getting bit by the family dogs... and for Christmas Dad buys his kid a new dog. It may be great gift and yet it could be the dumbest gift of all time. Most likely it was time to get a cat.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Not to mention that the majority of those picks he listed were taken by Jerry Colangelo.
                    I didn't really want to mention that, or that a few others were drafted on behalf of others

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                      You're right, what happened to those guys? I remember a pretty big back-and-forth between Kanter and Valanciunas. People were hating on Kanter more than on Valanciunas. The outburst was kind of surprising; they must not be forum readers.
                      There was also a significant contingent that was against JV. I'd wager the ones who didn't want BC to draft JV are the ones that pissed and the ones who wanted him to draft JV are happy.

Comment

Its like having a kid who keeps getting bit by the family dogs... and for Christmas Dad buys his kid a new dog. It may be great gift and yet it could be the dumbest gift of all time. Most likely it was time to get a cat.
                        I lol`d when I got to `cat.`

I think it`s really simple. We`ve been staring at a big dumb Euro (no hate) for 5 years. A lot of peoples simple gut reaction is `I do not want another one of those.`N6t a well thought out plan for the future. And they`ll get over it. A few trades would help.

And that `F` rating was hysterical.
                        Last edited by bloodyhandedgod; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 09:27 AM.
                        “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

The difference is the Spurs can afford to take on players that don't come here right away because in the meantime they're still contending for a championship.
                          Not as though the Raps will be contending next year with any of the other picks.

Comment

BC was GM of the Suns from 1995-2006

No need to make up lies just because you disagree with someone's point.
                            Last edited by TheR3dMenace; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

i find it hilarious that BC is getting pooped on for taking the best center in the draft, but cleveland is getting praised by virtually everyone (that i've read) for taking tristan thompson. now, im a fan and wish him all the best but what do they need a pf for? are they trading hickson? they could've taken kawhi and had a respectable starting 5. i get taking the best talent available when you're a bad team buuuuut...
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm excited about JV. I just wish we coulda' grabbed Kemba too! Maybe we'll kick ass in the trade market!

Comment

Working...
                                X