Raptors Targeting a Free Agent Centre? Chisholm's 2 cents post #71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'd add Kurt Thomas to that list, except that I kinda like that guy and don't want to see him suffer for the last few years of his career.
    You guys do realize he is almost 40 right?

Comment

If we seriously trade Ed to make room for Bargs at the 4 I will lose my mind.

1 step forward and 2 steps back
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I think that more than likely they're not going to be able to land any big name free agent center and I'm not sure they would want to given they have their center of the future tucked is away now. They're probably going to want to spend most of their money on a wing upgrade. That said, here is a list of names who might fit what Dwayne Casey is going to be running and who will be more of the bargain bin material:
        • Joel Przybilla
        • Jeff Foster
        • Jason Smith
        • Jared Jeffries

Joel would no doubt cost the most out of that group because he's the best but I feel his big pay days are over. Jeff Foster is the most solid out of the lot. He's not going to do anything exciting for you, just grab some boards and stick to his man. Jason Smith is tall, young and athletic. He still has room to grow and may be the diamond in the rough type player Colangelo is famous for finding. Jeffries is kind of a tweener but I like his game. He works hard for his coaches and plays he role typically really well.
        This was my thinking exactly. Everyone assumes the Raptors will be targeting top tier (for this free agent class, anyway) free agent when that's highly doubtful. Most likely they are simply looking at guys who can temporarily man the position for a year.

Oh, and Jeffries isn't a center. He's a small forward.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          If we seriously trade Ed to make room for Bargs at the 4 I will lose my mind.

1 step forward and 2 steps back
          Actually I think that would be 1 step back and then 3 more steps back. Or were you referring to the step forward as the drafting of Valanciunas? Then that would be 2 steps forward and 9 steps back.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Damn Tim...you beat me to it.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
              I agree one (Bargs) would have to go (Bargs), and I (Bargs) hope it is (Bargs!!!), but the fact that Casey has neglected to mention Ed Davis in many comments about the team (except when asked directly about him) concerns me that Ed may be the one (Bargs).

Good god no. At least the ACC is wheelchair accessible! Ok Parker is less of a stretch, but the other 3? You were being sarcastic I hope.
              Age is not the issue with the guys I mentioned. Remember I said consolotion prizes. We're not going to sign Thomas to be our starting C. More like he'd be a great vet to add to this team of young guys, fits with Casey's mentality and despite his age, still showed some game last year, especially in the regular season (not like we'll need a playoff performance from him anyway). Foster I think also fits that bill: type of player we need and veteran presence (6rpg in 16mpg not so bad for an "old" guy). Parker and Hill both could do the same at wing. Despite Hill's age he was arguably Phoenix's best defensive player last year. On top of it all, some of these guys would come cheap, right? at least one or two?

I do share your concern about Ed though. Casey did mostly speak of Andrea, Jose and Demar though, so maybe he was just focusing on the guys whose games he knows the best. God I hope that's all it was

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Actually I think that would be 1 step back and then 3 more steps back. Or were you referring to the step forward as the drafting of Valanciunas? Then that would be 2 steps forward and 9 steps back.
                You guys don't even know what we'd get back for Ed Davis yet! :P

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                  Fair

Comment

It's the principle of the thing. Two coaches fired for Bargnani not living up to his 1st overall hype, then the sending off last years lottery pick and one of the team's two bright spots just so they can waste yet another season on the Bargnani experiment? I swear, if they think Bargnani is more valuable than Ed Davis, I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted John Wall last year, then traded him this year just so they could try and see if Bargnani has actually been a point guard this whole time, he's just been forced to play out of position.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                      That plunger video is annoying as hell.
                      i believe its called a gif,for fr
                      and yes it is annoying as hell.
                      especially when youre as high as I am. its a trip.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

We don't need to get a Centre, we already have Alabi who is going to see some minutes in a game other than a D-League game, and you have AB, ED and Amir to round out the bigs. Resign Reggie or Dorsey as a back up.

Comment

Do we try something crazy and try our luck on ODEN?

Comment

I had heard/read rumors (sorry, no link, but it was in ESPN's June 23rd NBA rumor section) the past few days about Dalembert having worn out his welcome in Sacramento. I wonder if the Raps might have use for him as a defensive/rebounding backup C for a season or two, while JV bulks up in Europe. He could be a good short-term fit.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              We don't need to get a Centre, we already have Alabi who is going to see some minutes in a game other than a D-League game, and you have AB, ED and Amir to round out the bigs. Resign Reggie or Dorsey as a back up.
                              Hence my endorsement of some backup vets at C like Jeff Foster and Kurt Thomas. No need to try and hit a home run this year. It's going to be tough to get some of the better options like Chandler and Jordan(restricted). I hope we do not go after Dalembert. Anyway, a lot of the better names are restricted or big, big, GIGANTIC risks (Oden, Yao) and that just seems so extremely unnecessary. So if we can't get a real starter, we just need one or two stable guys backing up our young bigs.

Comment

Unless what the Raptors get back in exchange for Davis is Dwight Howard's body to implant Bargnani's shooting skills, then it doesn't matter. Trading Davis and keeping Bargnani would be an incredibly poor move for the Raptors.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X