No announcement yet.

Raptors Targeting a Free Agent Centre? Chisholm's 2 cents post #71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking today about something BC said and that was that if jonas doesn't play this year he is not on their salary for the year. That gives them the money to overpay for a free agent especially if barbosa opts out. So even tho we did nothing for this team this year in the draft which I and many of the people I talked to are mad about BC has the opportunity to recover from this.

Comment

I don't like the idea of going after a free agent C unless it is on min salary at all:
      1. Top tier centers won't come to TO unless grossly overpaid, or the offer sheets will be matched if they are restricted (Marc Gasol)
      2. Middle of the pack centers would just eat up into our cap and get us some more W's which is not what I'm looking for

Think the best approach is:
      1. Giving Bargs, Ed, Amir and Alabi all the minutes they can handle to further develop and see which will be our future players. The rest of the minutes can be given to min salary type players.
      2. Maintaining cap flexibility is always a good approach, especially at a possible lockout year. It's very possible that some teams will look to dump salary due to poor finances or/and underachieving - I think Josh Smith is a perfect candidate, and we can grab him for next to nothing.
      3. I actually don't mind another 25 win season cause there is no way we can make the playoffs, so why not just increase our chances of striking gold in a loaded draft?

Yes, this way we will most likely have another horrid season, but starting from 2012-13 we can really start a quick rise in the standings and very likely a most competitive team in team history.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
        You guys do realize he is almost 40 right?
        He's 38. Nothing wrong with that. He's going to be with us for at most 2 more years if you sign him, and his rebounding is decent. Averaged 5.8 rpg in only 22 minutes, and he only made $1.5M last season. Basically he does most everything we need from a C, and at a fraction of the cost of most guys available.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post
          I don't like the idea of going after a free agent C unless it is on min salary at all:
          trust me bro I don't like getting players through free agency to try and come in and save our team I am 100% for the NFL approach where you build through the draft but BC has put us in this position so he better recover from this.

Comment

I like the idea of a vet like Foster on a 2 year 4-5 million (total not a year) and would prefer him to Reggie. Then look at a solid vet to mentor Demar on the wing like Hill or Battier in an perfect world. We have some nice young pieces going forward that will not only need coaching but guidance and leadership which our current roster doesn't have.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              During the presser last night, Dwane Casey hinted that the Raptors might be targeting a potential centre during free agency this summer. I didn't hear the press conference myself and the liklihood of names mentioned were probably slim, but outside of Tyson Chandler which other centres are available this summer and who do you think we might be pursuing?

------------------

Who are we going to get though? I don't really like the idea of us throwing a ton of money at an aging Chandler and I don't think we get get Gasol (marc)....
              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                This was my thinking exactly. Everyone assumes the Raptors will be targeting top tier (for this free agent class, anyway) free agent when that's highly doubtful. Most likely they are simply looking at guys who can temporarily man the position for a year.

Oh, and Jeffries isn't a center. He's a small forward.

He plays center, and both forward spots. Hence I said tweener.

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post

------------------

Who are we going to get though? I don't really like the idea of us throwing a ton of money at an aging Chandler and I don't think we get get Gasol (marc)....

Joel Przybilla should be #1 on the list. He's like a poor man's Chandler. His final year of his "payday contract" was $7.4M. I think you can divide that by two for his next contract. Think $3-4M range.

Comment

I still say Tyson Chandler is overrated and not worth the bill. Guys like him tend to look good on well built, veteran laced teams like the Mavs. If he comes to Toronto. Bust.

Comment

no chance chandler leaves the mavs after winning a title
                    ya dun noe

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      trust me bro I don't like getting players through free agency to try and come in and save our team I am 100% for the NFL approach where you build through the draft but BC has put us in this position so he better recover from this.
                      Agreed 100%, but ever since the Bosh fiasco I really liked what BC has done (OK, Kleiza should have been a 2 year contract) so I'm all for giving him a chance and see what he can do now that he doesn't have a must win-now situation.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Hence my endorsement of some backup vets at C like Jeff Foster and Kurt Thomas. No need to try and hit a home run this year. It's going to be tough to get some of the better options like Chandler and Jordan(restricted). I hope we do not go after Dalembert. Anyway, a lot of the better names are restricted or big, big, GIGANTIC risks (Oden, Yao) and that just seems so extremely unnecessary. So if we can't get a real starter, we just need one or two stable guys backing up our young bigs.
                        ebrian wrote: View Post
                        He's 38. Nothing wrong with that. He's going to be with us for at most 2 more years if you sign him, and his rebounding is decent. Averaged 5.8 rpg in only 22 minutes, and he only made $1.5M last season. Basically he does most everything we need from a C, and at a fraction of the cost of most guys available.
                        If that's the plan I would much rather have Magloire.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                          That plunger video is annoying as hell.
                          its much better with "the crying game" playing in the back ground
                          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

I agree that no star big is going to want to come here as a mentor but we do need a genuine 5 if colangelo is determined to see what bargnani does as a 4. No progress next year if we still don't know where he plays (for better or worse). Maybe we use the trade exception (not sure that this would be allowed as we are under the cap) to take on some ok big who has two years left on a bad contract. If next year is a lockout (partial or otherwise) we just have to bite the salary for 2012/13. Maybe some of the people mentioned fit this mold. Any ideas?

Comment

I know he's not a FA but what about Camby? Could probably get him for cheap.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hmmmm...any 7'3" centres coming on the market who just happen to be Lithuanian?

Comment

Working...
                                X