No announcement yet.

Raptors Targeting a Free Agent Centre? Chisholm's 2 cents post #71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Dalembert was a free agent, isn't he? With the defensive focus, short term mentallity (2-3 years) and Canadian connection, I don't know how his name hasn't been mentioned.

Oden would be too big of an investment after getting Jonas at 5. But if its in a trade that moves Bargnani+x over for say Oden(s&t)+Batum ... that'd be quite something to think about.

Comment

I'm confused here.

I thought the idea here was this team was going to suck next year to get a better spot in the next draft, let the young guys get minutes and develop for the future?

Now the talk is guys like Chandler who will immediately make us better. Thomas or Camby who are aging but solid Cs, but to what end? To tutor the C who will be in Lithuania?

Why not resign Dorsey, play Alabi and Ajincia? (and ofcourse trade Bargnani). See who can back up Val. Bring in the 3rd vet C a year later?

Comment

Chandler isn't going to single handedly win you games
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
          I'm confused here.

I thought the idea here was this team was going to suck next year to get a better spot in the next draft, let the young guys get minutes and develop for the future?

Now the talk is guys like Chandler who will immediately make us better. Thomas or Camby who are aging but solid Cs, but to what end? To tutor the C who will be in Lithuania?

Why not resign Dorsey, play Alabi and Ajincia? (and ofcourse trade Bargnani). See who can back up Val. Bring in the 3rd vet C a year later?
          Because all of that simply makes too much sense. Hello!
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
            I agree that no star big is going to want to come here as a mentor but we do need a genuine 5 if colangelo is determined to see what bargnani does as a 4. No progress next year if we still don't know where he plays (for better or worse). Maybe we use the trade exception (not sure that this would be allowed as we are under the cap) to take on some ok big who has two years left on a bad contract. If next year is a lockout (partial or otherwise) we just have to bite the salary for 2012/13. Maybe some of the people mentioned fit this mold. Any ideas?
            We are not under the cap until July 1 so the exception stands for this week until the lockout.

Comment

There is 0% chance we get Chandler, Jordan of Gasol, so that leaves us with second rate centers like Przybilla, Mohammed, Kwwwwwwwameeeeeee, K. Thomas and his walker, Nene (if he exercises his ETO), Jeff Foster (with second hand walker he bought from KT at a discounted price), Ratliff, Ilgauskas ( I will burn all Raptors related merchandise if eaither of these two end up on our roster), Dalembert, Ajinca, Fesenko (I had to put the last 2 in because it wouldn't surprise me if the Raps tried to pawn these guys off on the fans as legitimate options), and finally.......wait for it......Yi Jianlian.

In all seriousness I would have to say Przybilla, and Dalembert are the only legit options because they would provide a defensive presence and they aren't complete garbage or so old they will need an oxygen tank and pack of depends on the side lines (like the other options). Of course they would have to be signed to a reasonable contract or else forget it.

Side note: if we can get a good price why not make a run at Kirilenko if we can get him for some good value?
              Deadallus

Comment

2011 Free Agent Centres

List of free agent C's in 2011:

Center
                (name, team – 2010-11 salary – status)

Nene, Denver Nuggets - $11.4 million – Early Termination Option ($11.6 million)
                Marc Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies - $3.6 million – Restricted ($4.5 million Qualifying Offer)
                Tyson Chandler, Dallas Mavericks - $12.6 million – Unrestricted
                Yao Ming, Houston Rockets - $17.7 million - Unrestricted
                Joel Przybilla, Charlotte Bobcats - $7.4 million – Unrestricted
                Samuel Dalembert, Sacramento Kings – $13.4 million - Unrestricted
                Greg Oden, Portland Trail Blazers - $6.8 million – Restricted ($8.8 million Qualifying Offer)
                Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia 76ers - $3.0 million – Restricted ($4.1 million Qualifying Offer)
                Nenad Krstic, Boston Celtics - $5.7 million – Unrestricted
                Tony Battie, Philadelphia 76ers - $1.4 million – Unrestricted
                Kyrylo Fesenko, Utah Jazz - $1.1 million - Unrestricted
                Erick Dampier, Miami HEAT - $1.1 million - Unrestricted
                Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Miami HEAT - $1.4 million - Unrestricted
                Jeff Foster, Indiana Pacers - $6.7 million - Unrestricted
                Nazr Mohammed, Oklahoma City Thunder - $6.9 million – Unrestricted
                DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers - $0.9 million – Restricted ($1.1 million Qualifying Offer)
                Kurt Thomas, Chicago Bulls - $1.4 million – Unrestricted
                Francisco Elson, Utah Jazz - $1.1 million – Unrestricted
                Hilton Armstrong, Atlanta Hawks - $0.9 million - Unrestricted
                Aaron Gray, New Orleans Hornets - $0.9 million – Player Option ($0.9 million)
                Jamaal Magloire, Miami HEAT - $1.4 million - Unrestricted
                Dan Gadzuric, New Jersey Nets - $7.2 million - Unrestricted
                Ryan Hollins, Cleveland Cavaliers - $2.3 million – Player Option ($2.5 million)
                Kwame Brown, Charlotte Bobcats - $1.3 million – Unrestricted
                Theo Ratliff, L.A. Lakers - $1.4 million - Unrestricted
                Etan Thomas, Atlanta Hawks - $1.2 million – Unrestricted
                Jason Collins, Atlanta Hawks - $1.2 million – Unrestricted
                Eddy Curry - $11.3 million - Unrestricted
                Hamed Haddadi, Memphis Grizzlies - $1.8 million – Unrestricted*
                Alexis Ajinca, Toronto Raptors - $1.5 million – Unrestricted

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1QOE0LJYu

Comment

"We still have that hole in the middle that we have talked about being the center," said Colangelo. "Either through free agency or trade this is something that we look to address. We don't want to put too much pressure on a young player too early, so even if Jonas came over right away, you are not looking at a scenario where you would just throw him in. Obviously we want him to gain experience and that's important, but we want to let it happen kind of naturally. So our number one goal in trades and free agency this off season is to address the need of a big man, and maybe it's a bridge to the future.
                  "The good thing about our situation is we do have flexibility in our budget," said Casey. "We have some excellent free agents out there that I can't talk about now that we are planning to target. We talked about that and there is a plan in place for that center position.
                  Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1QOEOm42F

Comment

After drafting Jonas it would almost seem foolish to throw too much money at any of those free agent C's. I don't see any of the real big names at the top of that board coming here, possibly The Vanilla Gorilla Joel Pryzbilla? Regardless of who it ends up being, I'm not expecting a lot out of the guy. The free agent class as a whole is filled with a bunch of middle-of-the-pack players, I think we'd be best not spending a lot this offseason and let the young talent develop more with playing time(will Alabi get a real chance this year?).

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                      After drafting Jonas it would almost seem foolish to throw too much money at any of those free agent C's. I don't see any of the real big names at the top of that board coming here, possibly The Vanilla Gorilla Joel Pryzbilla? Regardless of who it ends up being, I'm not expecting a lot out of the guy. The free agent class as a whole is filled with a bunch of middle-of-the-pack players, I think we'd be best not spending a lot this offseason and let the young talent develop more with playing time(will Alabi get a real chance this year?).
                      I think if the team was able to get a young center like DeAndre Jordan it would be alright. Then when Jonas comes over you have 2 young guys who can compete for the spot. Otherwise stick with the guys we got. But targeting a vet right now I just don't think is a good idea. Two or three years from now, thats a different story. But if there is any truth to Colangelo wanting to make the playoffs this year.... well.....

Comment

I guess the two players who makes more sense for the Raps are Mohammed and Przybilla.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                          I think if the team was able to get a young center like DeAndre Jordan it would be alright. Then when Jonas comes over you have 2 young guys who can compete for the spot. Otherwise stick with the guys we got. But targeting a vet right now I just don't think is a good idea. Two or three years from now, thats a different story. But if there is any truth to Colangelo wanting to make the playoffs this year.... well.....
                          The problem is there's just not a lot of DeAndre Jordan's out there. I highly doubt the Clip will let him go either, I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere during the season that he and Blake are best buds on that roster. I can see something helping the Raps happening through a trade somehow more so than any of the FA's.

Comment

With JV on board, and the Raptors needing a center for next year, I think they should try and get Oden. He is extremely high risk, but if we offer him a short contract (2-3 years) I think it would work out. When healthy he can be a 20/10 guy for your team.

Assuming he does get injured again, Davis/Alabi can play center while he recovers and we'll have JV next season. If he does not get injured then he'd be a stud/perennial all-star.

I would even trade Bargs for Oden in a sign and trade. Perhaps we can get Portland's 2012 pick too. Portland will need a center once Camby's contract expires.

Comment

Gimme some of that ghostface pryzbilla. Ive always been a fan of his, dude is underrated and solid. Not going to ever turn heads but think of him as a grittier rasho. Plus if alabi is coming along as well as they say he wouldn't have to play more than 25-30 minutes a game.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ESPN: Best bargains of FA

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...vid&id=6661408

We've discussed who the top-tier free agents are, as well as some guys that teams should be warned about. Now we'll take a look at some players worth considering as potential bargains. Quite simply, these are guys that can produce beyond what I'd consider their current perceived value.

So here they are, my top bargains in free agency:

1. Glen Davis, F, Boston Celtics

Davis embodies an accomplished role player with excellent career numbers, in terms of wins and big plays made in important games. He's considered a good locker room guy, easy to get along with and open to coaching from the staff and veteran players. Now that he's a respected vet himself and has played in dozens of tense playoff games despite being just 25, teams needing "glue guys" will target Davis as someone who can do more than just play a role. He brings all those "war" stories with him, not to mention a vast knowledge of how to play elite-level team defense.

2. Kyrylo Fesenko, C, Utah Jazz

Fesenko always has been a player who has underachieved, but that does not mean it always has to be that way. He's a huge, huge man who is nimble, and he will not turn 25 until December. That means he still has considerable development potential. Even if he does not get better overall, he already is a guy who can greatly improve a team's defense. His sheer size make things difficult inside for opponents, and he typically plays with energy. "Fes" still is immature but is not a guy prone to lazy efforts.

3. C.J. Miles, F, Utah Jazz

Miles is just 24 years old despite having six seasons under his belt. He made moderate improvement last season and still has room for growth, specifically as a shooter. Because he's always played under one system, there is reason to believe he can be a better player when playing in a different system; of course, the opposite could be true as well. Miles is also a capable defender and, with as much experience as he has in the NBA, should be able to adapt to any system, at either end of the floor.

4. Earl Clark, F, Orlando Magic

The only lottery pick on this list, and deservedly so, Clark is a victim of his own talents, in a sense. Indeed, he's a very gifted player. He's almost a clone of the Lakers' Lamar Odom, who, because the game comes so easily to him, had to learn how to be an effective player over time. Clark has the same problem, as the league is all about grinding and Clark has never had to do anything like that. But he has the talent to be a plus-plus defender, using length and feel to make things difficult as an on-ball defender or in help situations.

5. Alexis Ajinca, C, Toronto Raptors

Ajinca probably represents the most risk of these five players. There remains the possibility that he's not going to be good enough to help a team in Europe, much less the NBA. But he does have serious talent, even if it's mostly hidden. Super long and possessing a good touch inside, Ajinca showed some promise a few summer leagues ago and during the past season. He turned 23 in May, and as he gets stronger he should be able to play better defense without fouling. The saying "big men develop the latest" is largely true, and like Fesenko, Ajinca could end up figuring things out and become a rotation player.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X