2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis distances himself from field in the race to No. 1

If Anthony Davis is going to beat people with offense, the race for the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft has officially become a rout.

Saturday afternoon saw him net a career-high 28 points on 10-of-11 shooting, haul in 11 rebounds and record five blocks. He drilled an 18-footer to beat the shot clock late in the second half and another long jumper with a little more than a minute left to secure Kentucky's tense victory over Vanderbilt.

That settled that.

But it didn't take big-leaguing Vandy inside Rupp Arena to clinch the coveted top spot on June 28, Davis' exact destination TBA pending the May 30 lottery.

Davis, a nonstop worker with a thin frame and a defensive presence comparable to a young Marcus Camby (all the way down to wearing No. 23), already had become the clear favorite to go first. The game against Vandy was the kind of offensive display the pros wanted to see, though, as proof that the 6-foot-10, 220-pound freshman from Chicago was not one dimensional.

The new perspective is that Davis has in the last four or five weeks become not just the consensus choice for first overall, but the clear choice. As the NCAA tournament approaches, he has lapped the field.

"He plays every possession every night," one general manager said. "You don't see that much. He's long. He's going to get stronger. His offensive game is going to get better. He's just in a class by himself."

There were other contenders for No. 1 as recently as mid-January, with some NBA talent evaluators rating Andre Drummond of Connecticut and Harrison Barnes of North Carolina as possibilities. One well-respected executive with a successful Draft record said Davis' Kentucky teammate, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, had played his way into the conversation, too.

Drummond, in particular, kept the debate open. Stronger and bigger (6-foot-11, 270 pounds) than Davis, Drummond is reminiscent of a young Amar'e Stoudemire. The Connecticut big man was the tease who could have changed the top of the Draft(even with a wobbly start to his freshman season).

But no more. Drummond has mostly been underwhelming, unable to take advantage even when he could physically dominate an opponent. The theory that a postseason hot streak starting in the Big East tournament could thrust him back into contention for No. 1 is gone as well.

Drummond doesn't have enough time to catch Davis, not when his production hasn't come close to matching his potential. That was part of the impact of Kentucky-Vanderbilt on Saturday. Davis is running up the score.

"He can't get hot enough," an executive said of Drummond and the universal agreement that the first selection has been decided. "It's over. It's over. Anthony Davis is the No. 1 pick in the Draft. And it's a gap between one and two."
    The closest thing to an opposing view is the scout who calls it "about 95 percent " decided. "It would take something really big to happen to change the top," the scout said.

Davis would have to be thoroughly outplayed several games in a row at the same time Drummond or Barnes or one of the longer-shots takes a rocket ride through March. Drummond also would have to change his previously announced intention to return to UConn next season, a change a lot of NBA people still believe is possible. (Kidd-Gilchrist has made the same statement about staying at Kentucky.)

The race has become for No. 2, mostly between the untapped potential of center Drummond and the offensive weaponry of small forward Barnes, with a clear favorite if Drummond sticks to remaining in school. At least then there would be uncertainty near the top of the Draft. For now, No. 1 is settled.

Source

Comment

• nice article on PJ3 but he still terrifies me
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

A very long read on Perry Jones III. Like most people, there is a story.
        It's funny cause that article could actually help his draft stock.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          It's funny cause that article could actually help his draft stock.
          And I doubt mean to be cynical but.......

I'm sure that was the intent.

I have a few million reasons to believe this.

Perry Jones seems like a great person which is a big part of the equation. Production on the basketball court is a bigger part though.

Comment

• So let's talk about Kris Jospeh a little
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• He would be a nice second round pick if he's around when the Raps select. Good energy guy, doesn't really have a good jump shot, but he has infectious energy and has the potential to be a good defender.

Comment

• Beal/Lamb/Marshall in first round and Joseph in the second?
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• That would be a nice draft. Also, if we traded one of Amir/Ed in the off-season, Andrew Nicholson from St. Bonnie's would be alright.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

A very long read on Perry Jones III. Like most people, there is a story.
                    Have been waiting for one of these on him. Thanks for posting this Matt! This will be my evening read. Hah

Comment

And I doubt mean to be cynical but.......

I'm sure that was the intent.

I have a few million reasons to believe this.

Perry Jones seems like a great person which is a big part of the equation. Production on the basketball court is a bigger part though.
                      I'm not denying it. I'm just sayin that story would help his draft stock. Shows his a tough and GMs are going to think if he can get his family issue under control, he could just focus on ball and produce.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Without trying to imagine exactly the draft slot we'll be in - what is the largest perceived hole on our roster for ppl now?

I know it was SF, but JJ and Kleiza are making that seem like a less urgent gap.
                        It also was PG, but Jose is looking like a solid cog with a little help needed from a young backup.
                        Bigs are plentiful on this roster with the 7-foot Euros and 6'10 Bangers.

SG? If Demar remains this inconsistent (whether Barbosa leaves or stays), this could be the main target for improvement. I'm not giving up on Demar, but he needs to show more.
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• depends what that roster looks like come draft time, really. at this point the team should just draft best talent available.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• AP Photo/Frank Franklin II
                            Michael Kidd-Gilchrist says he will return to Kentucky. If he's a lottery pick, it might be a different story.
                            Last weekend, Kentucky freshman forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist launched the first salvo in the annual "in or out of the NBA draft" speculation fest.

Gilchrist told reporters after Saturday's win versus Vanderbilt that "I'm graduating here. I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying at Kentucky."

After a few skeptical reporters laughed, he retorted, "I'm dead serious. I don't know why y'all laughing."

I do.

There's a long history of top players claiming toward the end of the season that they are returning to college, only to do a 180 a few weeks later once they get confirmation that they will be a lottery pick. More often than not, when a top prospect says he's staying in school, you can go ahead and pull out the Sharpie and write him into the draft.

However, that's not always the case. Last year Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones III and Jared Sullinger all consistently said they'd stay in school and did so despite being projected as top-10 picks on our Big Board. Other elite freshmen, including Blake Griffin, have done the same in years past.

But they are the exceptions to the rule.

Luckily for Kentucky fans, Kidd-Gilchrist isn't your typical freshman. I think he is "dead serious" about staying in school -- at least for his sophomore season. I've been hearing for months that Kidd-Gilchrist loves it at Kentucky, doesn't feel like he's ready for the NBA and wants at least one more year under Coach Cal to work on his jumper.

We have Kidd-Gilchrist ranked No. 4 on our Big Board and he goes as high as No. 2 in some scenarios in our Lottery Mock Draft. So, the temptation will be there to change his mind. In addition, John Calipari is one of the few college head coaches who actually encourages his players to head to the NBA when they'll be high draft picks.

"If Michael is the one pick in the draft, yes, I would wrestle him to the floor and say, 'What are you thinking?'" Calipari told the Courier-Journal. "He's got to come up with some reasons he's coming back and convince me. Here's why: What if he got hurt and I'm out there convincing him to come back? What if that happened? Or something happened to him that all of the sudden really hurt him and his draftability and his future?

"It's hard to live with yourself, unless you're just trying to win five more games or 'How many games can I win before I retire?' This is about these young people."

Stay or leave, I think Kidd-Gilchrist is going to have a fantastic NBA career.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Darron Cummings
                            Indiana's Cody Zeller could be another freshman who will return for his sophomore year.
                            Kidd-Gilchrist isn't the only top player that I'm hearing might return to school. Indiana's Cody Zeller (Top 100: 9) is also leaning toward returning for his sophomore year, according to sources close to the players.

Zeller is having a terrific freshman season and has skyrocketed up our Big Board. Virtually every GM I've spoken with has him ranked as a top-10 pick if he comes out. But Zeller has some incentive to wait. Indiana has the ninth-best recruiting class in the nation according to ESPN.com. With local Indy recruits Yogi Ferrell, Jeremy Hollowell, Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Ron Patterson all coming next year, the Hoosiers have a shot to be even better than they've been this season. And sources say Zeller wants to be part of that.

Baylor's Jones is in a different boat entirely. His decision to stay in school last year was welcomed by NBA scouts who felt he needed to add some toughness and strength to his game. But Jones has struggled mightily of late to live up to his lofty expectations.

In Baylor's last four losses, Jones averaged 5.3 points and shot 27 percent from the field. Concerns about Jones' toughness are growing louder by the day.

ESPN.com's Jason King went a long way in dispelling the idea that Jones is a softy this week. The kid has overcome a lot in his personal life.

But just because Jones is a survivor off the court doesn't mean he always plays with grit on it. Jones frequently shies away from contact inside. He floats on both ends of the floor and can disappear for long stretches. Despite his length and athleticism, he went a whopping eight games without blocking a shot before he blocked one against Oklahoma last Saturday.

Jones' stock is dropping fast. He told King that it's 50-50 whether he'll enter the draft this season. Some of his advisors are pushing him to declare. They feel like he isn't developing and needs a change of scenery. Ironically, it's many of those same advisors that tell everyone to take it easy on Jones because he's young and his body hasn't matured. Others are telling him to stay. If Jones can't figure it out on the college basketball court, I'm not sure it follows that he'll figure it out in the NBA.

Baylor's Quincy Miller also will have a tough decision to make. Miller has the talent to be a top-5 player, but he's still recovering a bit from ACL surgery last year and has been struggling of late. Sources say he's leaning toward returning to Baylor -- especially if Jones decides to move on.

The rest of the our top 14 (the lottery) look like they're strongly leaning toward entering the draft. Sources say that Anthony Davis, Barnes, Andre Drummond, Thomas Robinson, Bradley Beal, Sullinger, Jeremy Lamb, Meyers Leonard and Damian Lillard are likely to enter.

http://t.co/lj30xKMA
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• One likely lottery pick and one likely 18-30 pick will be playing tomorrow on CBS at 2pm EST. Terrence Ross and Tony Wroten don't get much hype but they are intriguing prospects. Thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who might be interested. The game is Washington vs. UCLA.

Comment

• Told you guys. Miller has top 5 player potential i hope he declares

Comment

Working...
                                X