No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceez, as for your game I know how you roll, and I am gonna wait until lottery time and still probably put a few lists together since it makes a difference if we trade Demar as to what SF or wing I would want.

However, Pine: ADavis and BBeal. That's it for there.
    Oh what the hell:
    Want (some of these are if we trade down and in no particular order): Barnes (keeping Demar), KMarshall, TRoss, MHarkless, MKG (only if trading Demar)
    On the fence: DLillard, JLamb
    Stay away from: PJones,

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
      I don't understand why everyone is all of a sudden fawning over Dion Waiters. Apparently the guy doesn't play a lick of defense. Players like him can be found everywhere - a purely scoring SG - and he's small for his position.

Meanwhile, Terrence Ross gets all kinds of neglect. Ross can shoot from anywhere and plays defense like it matters. He's also more athletic and can play both the 2 and 3.

Someone explain why Waiters but not Ross.
      Totally agree... I like Ross. I am thinking the one thing Waiters might have over Ross is swagger, and it may just be cockiness. Here is Ross' Swishscout profile:

Does Well:
      - Explosive athlete, outstanding vertical leap, great end-to-end speed, quick first step and burst, superb body control and contortion around the rim
      - Midrange marksman with great depth out to NBA 3-point range, great off ball player and spot up shooter coming off screens, always squared and ready to shoot, high release point
      - Can create his own shot off the dribble, ability to set up for jumper or attack rim, nice crossover and step back dribble for jumper (16.4 pt. per as soph.)
      - Excellent passer and distributor, exceptional court vision, unselfish player, trusted entry passer into post and for off ball shooters, can set up plays
      - Defensive presence, has length, athleticism, instincts and lateral quickness to be a high level perimeter defender, play maker in passing lanes, contests shots well
      - Natural feel for the game, high basketball IQ, good decision maker, versatile, assertive play maker, active rebounder (6.4 reb. per)

Must Improve:
      - Frail frame in need of strength, 5-10 pounds of muscle to fill out body, struggles to finish through contact
      - Streak shooter, can get very hot/cold from 3-point range, tendency to force some poor shots driving the lane
      - Can become too hesitant to isolate, doesn’t need ball to be effective but becomes confined to being a spot up threat

Here is Waiter's

Does Well:
      - Compact build, stout build and natural strength, mature body filled in with muscle, can handle contact and finish through it
      - Quick first step, ability to penetrate and finish, straight-line driver with an excellent burst, acceleration, swift turning the corner on pick and roll
      - Improved deep ball shooter with NBA 3-point range, excellent spot up shooter, respectable midrange game and tear drop floater through the lane, very confident, efficient (impressive 26.3 player efficiency rating)
      - Ability to set up others, good “drive and kick” passer with court vision, unselfish, secondary ball handler (4.1 ast. per 40 min.)
      - Dynamic scoring threat who can put up points in spurts, aggressive, versatility with the ball, excellent at creating separation off the dribble and quickness with the ball, can get to the rack, pull up from midrange or spot up from three (21 pt. per 40 min.)

Must Improve:
      - “Combo Guard,” doesn’t have true point guard skills to play the one full time nor the ideal physical make up to play the two, team ends up watching him with the ball in his hands
      - Undersized at 6’4” playing off ball at his natural position on the perimeter, couple inches under ideal size for a SG but should okay with skill set
      - Defensive effort is subpar and interest is limited, was fairly marginal in zone defense outside of playing pass lanes for Syracuse, can get overaggressive on D, not consistently in position and focused on rotations or challenging shots
      - Tendency to shoot off balance from the perimeter, kicks out feet and flails on them on release, jumps really high on shot, needs to be more consistent and uniform with shot to improve consistency
      - Has an attitude and is very emotional on the court, can look visibly discouraged, had issues with Syracuse coaching staff and weight problems off court as freshman

Ross is being compared to players like: Jason Richardson, Eddie Jones, DeMar DeRozan, J.R. Smith
      Waiters is being compared to players like: Randy Foye, Deshawn Stevenson, Jamal Crawford, Marcus Thornton
      “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
      ― John Wooden

Comment

• So Beal is actually 6' 3"?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Than_His_Size

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Supposedly he measured at 6'4.5" in shoes last year at Nike Hoops Summit.

Supposedly he grew an inch in the last year.

Supposedly will be confirmed at NBA Draft Combine.

Comment

• For Your Consideration...

Terrence Ross

Single Game highlights, shows off much of his game: athletic shot creator who can shoot and is active on D.

Compilation which starts off showing mostly his 3pt abilities. What I take from these is that he's fearless taking the 3. Video gets more diverse as it progresses.

Jump to 3:15: Patient and confident with a live dribble.
            Jump to 5:00 to watch him take it to Harrison Barnes. Repeatedly.

I see this guy being real good, and he's an absolutely perfect fit on the Raptors. Regardless of what all the mocks say, I'd have no problem with the team drafting him at 8. Obviously they could trade down for him, but you get my point. And the above 2 videos don't really show his defense at all, which is one of his strengths.

Comment

• Dion Waiters has been one of the top risers in the early mock drafts. He must be putting on some impressive workouts.

The knock on Ross is that he played on a talented but under achieving team at Washington.

Nice interview with Chad Ford, who doesn't have Ross in his top 20 yet:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7974075

Comment

• Would Houston be down to trade DeMar + Raptors 8th pick for Lowry + 14 + 16 ?
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• The thing about Dion Waiters that has me curious is why none of the scouts were raving about him through the season? Its not like his game just improved by leaps and bounds since his team was bounced from the tournament. I think it's more of a case where he was the best player at a specific workout where there wasn't much talent present. If people are still raving about him after the combine I would be on board. And when I read that part in his interview where he was saying something like his problem is that he's too intense....I almost broke out laughing. That's like what I say if I were to go to a job interview.....totally rehearsed between he and his agent.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    ... and not a great outside shooter? - weren't there comparisons to Ray Allen?
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                      Would Houston be down to trade DeMar + Raptors 8th pick for Lowry + 14 + 16 ?
                      I highly doubt it.

Houston has Courtney Lee as a RFA and Kevin Martin at SG.

One Rocket I would be interested in is Martin.... not for Toronto but to flip to Minnesota. I think Minnesota with the Adelman connection and a need at starting SG are very interested in Martin. The Wolves have Webster and Miller in non-guaranteed contracts to make the money work and interesting assets in the 18th pick, Luke Ridnour, and Derrick Williams.

I am not sure what Minnesota would give up to get Martin but I think that angle is more likey than anything with Lowry. I think Lowry ends up in LAL with Gasol going to Houston. To make numbers work, Toronto could use their cap space on Martin - with the idea of flipping him to Minnesota - to create a lot of financial relief for LAL.

Comment

• As things go on there seems to be a good 5 or 6 players that would please a lot of Raps fans. I thin PJ 3 is going to explode up the list draft board, but the more I read about him the more I like him. Here's a pretty cool story about him.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          As things go on there seems to be a good 5 or 6 players that would please a lot of Raps fans. I thin PJ 3 is going to explode up the list draft board, but the more I read about him the more I like him. Here's a pretty cool story about him.
                          Very interesting article. Nice find.
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            There's an ugly mini-pump fake in his jumper (just before his release). Although he was hitting shots, his mechanics need work.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              As things go on there seems to be a good 5 or 6 players that would please a lot of Raps fans. I thin PJ 3 is going to explode up the list draft board, but the more I read about him the more I like him. Here's a pretty cool story about him.
                              Good article. You can't help but feel bad for the kid.

But from a Raptors perspective, it does seem like PJ3 has a lot on his mind (other than basketball). If the worst happens, and his mother passes away, would PJ3 be strong enough to fight through it and continue to be a pro basketball player, or would it be the beginning of the end?

Having said that, I love his potential.

Comment

• Wednesday, May 30, 8pm et/ 5pm pt, TSN

The NBA Draft Lottery will be held on Wednesday and can be seen live on TSN at 8pm et/5pm pt. The 28th edition of the lottery will determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2012 NBA Draft.

Fourteen balls numbered 1 through 14 will be placed in a drum. There are 1,001 possible combinations when four balls are drawn out of 14. Prior to the lottery, 1,000 combinations will be assigned to the 14 lottery teams by a computer. The last-place Charlotte Bobcats will have 250 combinations out of 1,000, while the Toronto Raptors will have just 35 combinations (see below).

Four balls will be drawn to determine a four-digit combination. The team that has been assigned that combination will receive the first overall pick. The four balls are then put back in the drum and the process is repeated to determine the second and third selections. The order of selection for teams that do not land one of the top three picks will be determined by the inverse order of their regular season record. (Source: NBA.com)

The 2012 NBA Draft will be held on Thursday, June 28.

NBA DRAFT LOTTERY ODDS
                                Team # Combos 1st pick 2nd pick 3rd pick Any top 3 pick
                                Charlotte 250 25.00% 21.47% 17.72% 64.19%
                                Washington 199 19.90% 18.78% 17.06% 55.74%
                                Cleveland 138 13.80% 14.24% 14.53% 42.57%
                                New Orleans 137 13.70% 14.16% 14.47% 42.33%
                                Sacramento 76 7.60% 8.44% 9.46% 25.50%
                                Brooklyn 75 7.50% 8.33% 9.36% 25.19%
                                Golden State 36 3.60% 4.16% 4.90% 12.66%
                                Toronto 35 3.50% 4.05% 4.77% 12.32%
                                Detroit 17 1.70% 2.00% 2.40% 6.10%
                                Minnesota 11 1.10% 1.30% 1.57% 3.97%
                                Portland 8 0.80% 0.95% 1.15% 2.90%
                                Milwaukee 7 0.70% 0.83% 1.01% 2.54%