2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would personally stay away from Barnes. He's a shooter and nothing else in my books. He's the next JJ Reddick, or worse, Trajan Langdon.

I want Colagelo to grab a multi-faceted player with our lotto pick.
    Beal really impressed me versus Kentucky - more so than *gasp* MKG.

Comment

• Anyone passing over MKG will regret it baaad. His intangibles (take charge, leadership, crunchtime play) are great but he is constrained somewhat by the strict college coaching style and system. There was once a Michael Jordan who was constrained the same way at NC and was passed over early. I agree that his perimeter shooting needs improvement but he is a freshman.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        They aren't contending any time soon. I'd take the hit of Lewis for one more year (his contract is 'only' $13M next season, not $22M) and drop Blatche who has 3 or 4 seasons left.

No one is going to take Blatche off their hands at his current price.
        is lewis in the last year of his contract? i thought it kept going forever. 13 million expiring with the stringent new rules coming up is going to be a good trade asset next year.

amnesty blatche and his ugly stupid bug eyed head.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
          Anyone passing over MKG will regret it baaad. His intangibles (take charge, leadership, crunchtime play) are great but he is constrained somewhat by the strict college coaching style and system. There was once a Michael Jordan who was constrained the same way at NC and was passed over early. I agree that his perimeter shooting needs improvement but he is a freshman.
          agreed but i think the jordan comparison is a bit much for our poor offensively lacking as of yet favourite draftee this year. if you pick 2nd and pass mkg youre making a mistake i think.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            is lewis in the last year of his contract? i thought it kept going forever. 13 million expiring with the stringent new rules coming up is going to be a good trade asset next year.

amnesty blatche and his ugly stupid bug eyed head.
            Lewis is in the 2nd last year of his contract. His final year, which was something like $22M, is guaranteed for about $13M in '12-13. He had performance incentives to reach. He reached some but not all.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              agreed but i think the jordan comparison is a bit much for our poor offensively lacking as of yet favourite draftee this year. if you pick 2nd and pass mkg youre making a mistake i think.
              I should have clarified....Davis is the #1.

Thereafter the comparison to the events of the Jordan draft (incl the undisputed #1 choice of Olauwajon) are eerily similar to my thinking. Bowie (Drummond) was chosen 2nd and Jordan next. Even Chicago toyed with trading the 3rd pick for a centre (Sikma) who they wanted badly but the deal fell through. The draft is a crap shoot for the most part of course and the Bulls had horseshoes.

Comment

• I want nothing to do with Barnes at all. He'll be a solid pro i'm sure but nothing about his game excites me. That game they just lost, he was invisible when it mattered.

Right now I'd take Beal over MKG but Id be incredibly pleased if we ended up with either player.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  I want nothing to do with Barnes at all. He'll be a solid pro i'm sure but nothing about his game excites me. That game they just lost, he was invisible when it mattered.

Right now I'd take Beal over MKG but Id be incredibly pleased if we ended up with either player.
                  I would agree.

What struck me most about Beal this weekend versus Kentucky was:

1) he is very much ignored by his back court mates,
                  2) he is a great rebounder,
                  3) he is a very solid passer,
                  4) he put up his 20 points (8/15, 4/7 3pt), 8 rebs, 5 assists, 1 blk, 1 stl versus Kidd-Gilchrist who is a great defender.

Comment

• Yeah, it's impressive. The fact he manages to do so despite rarely even being the second option IN COLLEGE like you said is in itself a testament to how good he is.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Fords breakdown of top propects in the South Region

1. Anthony Davis

2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F, Fr., Kentucky

The Good: He. Will. Not. Stop. Kidd-Gilchrist is probably the toughest wing player in the draft. He goes and goes and goes on both ends. He's selfless and will do whatever it takes for his team to win. He's a natural leader who has quickly taken the lead on the Kentucky team. He can lock-down defend multiple positions. Great athlete. He's excellent in transition and in slashing to the basket. Has surprised us with an emerging perimeter game.

The Bad: He needs to continue to work on his jump shot. If he can ever become a serious threat from 3e, he's going to be very hard to stop.

The Upside: On paper, or in an isolated Synergy scouting session, you could probably pick apart Kidd-Gilchrist's game. But when you watch what Kidd-Gilchrist does in the flow of the game he's every coach's dream. All he cares about is winning. He currently sits at No. 2 on our Big Board.

3. Andre Drummond

4. Perry Jones, F, So., Baylor

The Good: There are few 6-foot-11 players with his combination of athleticism and skill. He can play like a guard and is an excellent ball handler for a big man. He can shoot the rock and has some nice moves around the basket. He can also get after the boards when he wants to.

The Bad: He doesn't like to mix it up in the paint and his game can lack toughness and passion at times. He's also content shooting jump shots when he should be dominating the paint. Needs to get a lot stronger.

The Upside: Like Drummond, he's the type of player who could be a superstar or get you fired if you're an NBA GM. The last week, in the Big 12 tournament, Jones has really started to play up to his potential. When he does that it's hard not to fall and fall hard. A strong NCAA tournament run for Jones and Baylor could move him back into the Top 5. Scouts would love to see him matched up against Anthony Davis in the Elite Eight.

5. Cody Zeller

6. Jeremy Lamb, G/F, So., UConn

The Good: Lamb is a super lanky wing player who can score from just about anywhere on the floor. He's mastered the art of the midrange game and is equally adept at putting the ball on the floor and getting to the basket.

The Bad: He's struggled with the role of alpha dog in the absence of Kemba Walker. Occasionally he shows the ability to take over games, but he can also just disappear. He too could use a few more pounds on that frame.

The Upside: Lamb's draft stock got a huge bump in the NCAA tournament last year. He's struggled -- a little -- to live up to the hype his freshman performance created, but he's still a very good NBA prospect. He'd likely match-up against Michael Kidd-Gilchrist if the Huskies make it to the second round. A dominant performance versus MKG and Kentucky, could seal the deal for him as a Top 10 pick.

7. Quincy Miller, F, Fr., Baylor

The Good: Miller has the tools to do just about everything. He's a super long, athletic forward who can score the ball from anywhere on the floor. He can play like both a guard and a power forward.

The Bad: He's very similar to Perry Jones in many aspects and has had to take a backseat to him for most of the year. He's still not totally healed from the ACL surgery he underwent last year though, and his fragile frame is a concern.

The Upside: On pure talent Miller is right up there with the other top six players on this list. He could be a dominant pro if he figures out how to put everything together. He's probably another year away, but a big tournament here could push him back into the Top 10.

8. Terrence Jones, F, So., Kentucky

The Good: Jones is one of the most versatile forwards in college basketball. He can play multiple positions on the floor and kill you both inside and with the jumper. He's a good ball handler for someone his size and he can beast on the boards when he wants too. His long arms and high basketball IQ make him a better shot blocker than you'd think.

The Bad: He's a tweener. Jones seems more comfortable, at times, jacking up 3s. But that's not what he's best at. He's had some well-documented attitude/maturity issues. He doesn't always play hard.

The Upside: He's the Lamar Odom of the NCAA. Keep him engaged and he's the key piece to a championship. Let him roam and he can disappear. If Jones shows up, Kentucky probably wins the tournament and he moves up 8 to 10 spots on our Big Board. If he doesn't? Some scouts will start writing him off.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Quincy Miller!

Comment

• Realistically: In Order

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
                          EDIT* Terrence Jones
                          Harrison Barnes
                          Bradley Beal
                          Perry Jones
                          Jeremy Lamb
                          Quincy Miller

If we plan on drafting a wing player, these are my preferences.
                          Last edited by ReubenJRD; Mon Mar 12, 2012, 02:14 PM.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• i'd take terrence jones over barnes good im glad i got that off my chest
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              i'd take terrence jones over barnes good im glad i got that off my chest
                              Oh shit! I forgot about Terrence! AND I talked about him! Good God!

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

8. Terrence Jones, F, So., Kentucky

The Good: Jones is one of the most versatile forwards in college basketball. He can play multiple positions on the floor and kill you both inside and with the jumper. He's a good ball handler for someone his size and he can beast on the boards when he wants too. His long arms and high basketball IQ make him a better shot blocker than you'd think.

The Bad: He's a tweener. Jones seems more comfortable, at times, jacking up 3s. But that's not what he's best at. He's had some well-documented attitude/maturity issues. He doesn't always play hard.

The Upside: He's the Lamar Odom of the NCAA. Keep him engaged and he's the key piece to a championship. Let him roam and he can disappear. If Jones shows up, Kentucky probably wins the tournament and he moves up 8 to 10 spots on our Big Board. If he doesn't? Some scouts will start writing him off.
                                Dwane Casey will keep his ass in check.

Comment

Working...
                                X