2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torch19 wrote: View Post
    So how does this affect out cap space for free agency? I thought we'd have the most flexibility had we traded the pick?
    If all restricted free agents were renounced (ie: Gray, Magloire, Alabi, Anderson, Weems, Bayless, Uzoh), I believe the Raps would have almost $12M in cap space available.

They have a $7M TPE they can use prior to July 1st, or after July 1st if the Raps use trades to bring team salary up to the salary cap. They'd lose the TPE if they reach the cap by signing free agents.

They also would have the MLE and Vet Exception, under the same rules as the TPE.

They have the amnesty, should they choose to use it.

The #8 pick had a cap hold of $2.1M. So, had the Raptors traded it away outright, that roughly $12M maximum available cap space would have increased to roughly $14M.

Needless to say, with cap space and tradeable assets, the Raps have TONS of potential roster flexibility this offseason. I just hope BC is much more effective using his assets/cap space than he was with his three draft picks tonight.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      DeRozan & Davis & JJ for Gay? Clears out redundancy/logjams and lands our star SF.

C: Valanciunas, ???
      PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
      SF: Gay, Kleiza
      SG: Ross, ???, Forbes
      PG: Calderon, ???, ???

Bayless could be traded for Nash.
      Calderon could perhaps land an upgraded backup SG, pushing Forbes to 3rd string.
      Gray re-signed as backup C.
      Machado signed as undrafted free agent for backup PG.
      Uzoh re-signed as 3rd string PG.
      MLE still available.
      TPE still available.

As disappointed as I am right now, I will withhold my final judgement until the end of the offesason, to look at the full body of BC's work.
      You're living in fantasy land. All 3 of those guys suck, why the hell would Grizz give up Gay for that when they didn't give him up for our draft pick.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        If all restricted free agents were renounced (ie: Gray, Magloire, Alabi, Anderson, Weems, Bayless, Uzoh), I believe the Raps would have almost $12M in cap space available.

They have a $7M TPE they can use prior to July 1st, or after July 1st if the Raps use trades to bring team salary up to the salary cap. They'd lose the TPE if they reach the cap by signing free agents.

They also would have the MLE and Vet Exception, under the same rules as the TPE.

They have the amnesty, should they choose to use it.

The #8 pick had a cap hold of $2.1M. So, had the Raptors traded it away outright, that roughly $12M maximum available cap space would have increased to roughly $14M.

Needless to say, with cap space and tradeable assets, the Raps have TONS of potential roster flexibility this offseason. I just hope BC is much more effective using his assets/cap space than he was with his three draft picks tonight.
        Thank you. Solid explanation!

Rudy Gay Rudy Gay Rudy Gay, please.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
          You're living in fantasy land. All 3 of those guys suck, why the hell would Grizz give up Gay for that when they didn't give him up for our draft pick.
          I'm not saying they would. I don't know if Gay is even available. We also don't know what the discussions were leading up to the draft, especially with the ownership transfer. It could be a starting point for a trade discussion though... some people on here have argued that Toronto would be giving up too much in that deal, so everybody has a different opinion.

I think BC will target Gay or Iguodala for sure. Whether he gets either is yet to be seen.

Comment

• I'm late to the party. What did everyone mean when they said that Cavs drafting Waters messed things up? Who were they going to draft and who could've fell to us?
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• the thought was that if they drafted Barnes, Sac would take Drummond and either Lillard or Waiters would fall to us. I think what actually screwed it up was that teams fell out of love with Drummond's potential and somehow Tier 2 of the draft happened to end at the 7th guy and since we're the Raps we happened to flip (and win games down the stretch) our way into the 8th slot.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                the thought was that if they drafted Barnes, Sac would take Drummond and either Lillard or Waiters would fall to us. I think what actually screwed it up was that teams fell out of love with Drummond's potential and somehow Tier 2 of the draft happened to end at the 7th guy and since we're the Raps we happened to flip (and win games down the stretch) our way into the 8th slot.
                Jordan fucked up everything - again.

Sacramento was going big - but Robinson wasn't suppose to be there.

I hate Michael Jordan.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
                  I'm late to the party. What did everyone mean when they said that Cavs drafting Waters messed things up? Who were they going to draft and who could've fell to us?
                  I actually think Charlotte drafting MKG messed the draft up, for those Raps fans hoping to draft Barnes.

Barnes fans were hoping Charlotte would draft Robinson
                  - rumor was that Cleveland had MKG ranked 2nd after Beal, so MKG would have gone #4
                  - rumor was that if Robinson wasn't available at 5, Sacramento would have drafted Drummond (either for themselves or to trade to Houston)
                  - rumor was that Golden State had Waiters ranked ahead of Barnes, meaning they would have drafted Waiters at 7
                  - Barnes would have dropped to Toronto at #8

The funny part is that we have no idea whether BC had Barnes ranked ahead of Ross or not. I assume yes, since they're similar players, but Barnes would have filled the need for SF, whereas Ross is a SG.

Comment

• Yup. Michael Jordan again. Whatever, his team is still sh!t.

I want Ross to prove everyone wrong. He's not regarded as a top prospect, but I mean, he can do everything we want our wing to be. It was a shock, but I knew something was gonna go wrong when Bobcats picked MKG.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Terrence Ross - Looks like BC's failure to trade down for an asset meant we had to pick him early. I will keep up my hopes for him. He is a 2 imo. BC has drafted him ahead of better 2s - Lamb and Rivers as he plans to keep demar in the roster.

Matt devlin sucking up -
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=Z5LVLU14rbM#!
                      *sick*

Quncy Acy - you gotta be kidding? gambling on the first rounder and picking up a solid bench guy on the second?

Zubcic - another weak 7footer with no D?

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        Before you go to bed, perhaps some numbers help. Count sheep here.

Ha Ha. They've got everyone picking after the Raptors getting a worse grade for their pick until you reach pick number 14.

Comment

• Interesting tidbit from Doug smith, in conversation with Damon Stoudamire on draft night in TO.

"And we again relived one of those “what if” moments when were talking about it.

“There kind of wasn’t a whole lot of anticipation I knew what was going to happen, that was discussed way back in November. It wasn’t like something that I didn’t know.

“If Kevin Garnett didn’t go to Minnesota, Minnesota was going to draft me and if Kevin Garnett was gone I was coming here."

"I already knew that was going to happen.”

Hmmm, KG in Toronto. That would have altered the course of history, wouldn’t it have?

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Apparently BC explored the possibility of trades before picking Ross, but there was nothing available.

Comment

• Does anyone consider Ross to be more NBA ready than Lamb or Rivers? He was the main guy on Washington even with a ball dominant player like Wroten Jr. on the team and still was their leading scorer. He's also a good defender. Just wodering what other reasons were that BC picked Ross, other than he provides good outside shooting. Not mad at the pick, but it just sucks that from picks 1 to 7 the teams got exactly whom they wanted.

Comment

• Based on Wroten's ball-hoggery, Ross could be a diamond in the rough playing with a legit PG (be it Calderon or Nash).

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Based on Wroten's ball-hoggery, Ross could be a diamond in the rough playing with a legit PG (be it Calderon or Nash).
                                I would have to think that when they are evaluating draft picks, they need to consider who else is on the team, and how that affects an individual players actions and numbers. I expect they even consider a particular coaches preferences for style of play and the strategies he prefers to use.

As an example, during my high level playing days, I never had the ball in my hands as much as I needed it to be a better player. They didn't understand that I am basically a volume shooter, and that my Fg % wouldn't go up until I knew I would get 25-30 shots a game. Basically, I missed the pros because my coaches didn't understand my game.

Comment

Working...
                                X