No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Beal is a good player, maybe top 5, lottery for sure. I'd take Lamb over him though.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Beal>Lamb
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Idk really, both very good players anyway.

Comment

• Btw Quincy miller isn't a tweener he's a straight up 3. Probably would be the best in the draft if he didn't have that injury. He is probably the most all around player on the offensive end. He can drive and put it down, he can cross you up and break your ankles, he can pull up and drain the jumper, and he's very long and athletic. I just hope he declares and we are in position to draft him.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            Btw Quincy miller isn't a tweener he's a straight up 3. Probably would be the best in the draft if he didn't have that injury. He is probably the most all around player on the offensive end. He can drive and put it down, he can cross you up and break your ankles, he can pull up and drain the jumper, and he's very long and athletic. I just hope he declares and we are in position to draft him.
            I just dont know if BC is willing take another project when their more NBA ready players like Beal. Seeing that he want to hit "the ground running next year". If he going to take a project he'd probably take one with a ceiling like PJ3.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              I just dont know if BC is willing take another project when their more NBA ready players like Beal. Seeing that he want to hit "the ground running next year". If he going to take a project he'd probably take one with a ceiling like PJ3.
              we can still make the playoffs without a guy that is nba ready. Plus Miller has a ceiling too, PJ3 is playing like Anthony randolph and he doesn't have the motor or killer instinct to be a very good player so I'll pass.

Comment

• Miller does have a ceilling but PJ3's is higher. Like PJ3 has league MVP potential.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Both are great prospects, but PJ3 is more NBA ready and there are no injury concerns with him.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Miller does have a ceilling but PJ3's is higher. Like PJ3 has league MVP potential.
                    lol no he doesn't not even close.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      lol no he doesn't not even close.
                      Is it fair to say you like Quincy Miller?

Comment

• Draft express has a nice piece on Miller now. Does a good job breaking his game down and his flaws. He's certainly a guy that COULD be great and COULD overcome his injuries but there's a lot of what ifs there. I have a feeling he'll fall into the late teens and make a lucky team very happy.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Espn insider has a nice piece on the draft in general, too. Outside of Davis virtually every player has question marks, you have to pick your poison on what you're willing to be ok with.

I stand firm on MKG is the best prospect after Davis.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Espn insider has a nice piece on the draft in general, too. Outside of Davis virtually every player has question marks, you have to pick your poison on what you're willing to be ok with.

I stand firm on MKG is the best prospect after Davis.
                            Would you be able to cut & paste that ESPN Insider article into this thread? Would help shape the ongoing discussion/debate about who the Raptors should draft. Cheers! (damn Insider!)

Comment

• What happened to the 'great' 2012 draft?
                              February, 24, 2012
                              FEB 24
                              9:39
                              AM ET
                              EmailPrintComments
                              By Chad Ford

Getty Images, US Presswire
                              Fabulous freshmen and returning stars should have made the 2012 draft great. What happened?
                              In July, NBA scouts and executives were projecting the 2012 NBA draft to be one of the best in a decade.

With a potential lockout and other factors in play, an unusually high number of prominent college players passed on their opportunities to jump to the NBA in 2011. North Carolina's Harrison Barnes, Baylor's Perry Jones, Kansas' Thomas Robinson, Ohio State's Jared Sullinger, Kentucky's Terrence Jones, Florida's Patric Young, UConn's Jeremy Lamb, North Carolina's John Henson, Duke's Mason Plumlee and UNC's Tyler Zeller all were considered potential lottery picks in 2011. Another year in school was supposed to give them even more appeal.

We were also projecting as many as 10 freshmen as potential lottery picks: Kentucky's Anthony Davis, UConn's Andre Drummond, Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Baylor's Quincy Miller, Florida's Bradley Beal, North Carolina's James Michael McAdoo, Duke's Austin Rivers, Kentucky's Marquis Teague, Texas' Myck Kabongo and Memphis' Adonis Thomas.

That's 20 players for 14 lottery spots. That's what you call a stacked draft.

But as we enter the last week of February, NBA executives are rushing to downgrade the draft.

"Everyone talks about how great this draft is," one NBA GM told ESPN.com. "On paper in July, it really looked that way. On the ground in February, I'm not that impressed. Anthony Davis is great. But after that, there are a lot of question marks and a surprising lack of depth. I'm not sure that the 2012 draft will be better than the 2011 one."

What's causing the pessimism?

Davis has lived up to, and perhaps even surpassed, expectations. But most of the rest of the crop of returning players and freshmen haven't measured up.

Barnes has shown he's a lethal scorer -- but a one-dimensional one who doesn't seem to make anyone around him better. Perry Jones has reverted back to his wallflower ways. Terrence Jones, despite the talent, is still maddeningly inconsistent. Sullinger is effective, but seems to have hit his ceiling as a freshman. Henson is still a defensive force, but the offense is a work in progress. Ditto for Plumlee and Young. Lamb seems too laid-back to really carry a team the way his former teammate Kemba Walker did last season.

Of the returning collegians, only three -- Robinson, Zeller and Damian Lillard -- have lived up to or exceeded expectations. Robinson's toughness and athleticism should make him a staple in the league for a decade. Zeller will start somewhere thanks to his ability to run the floor like a guard. Lillard is the draft's biggest sleeper, but has been consistently better every season.

The same problems are found throughout the freshman class. Andre Drummond may have the physical tools of Amare Stoudemire -- but he doesn't play like him. Drummond can look awesome in one game and completely disappear in the next.

Miller has had his moments, but seems like he's still not fully recovered from ACL surgery last year. Beal looked like the next Ray Allen or Eric Gordon in high school, but hasn't quite lived up to the hype on a Florida team that often asks him to play out of position. Rivers has hit some big shots, but he doesn't look like the dominant player he was in high school. McAdoo has been regulated to bench duty and hasn't the super sub we thought he'd be. Teague and Kabongo have had some success, but both look a long ways away from being an NBA point guard. Thomas struggled out of the gate before a season-ending injury struck.

Really, just two freshmen, Kidd-Gilchrist and Indiana's Cody Zeller, have exceeded expectations. We had Kidd-Gilchrist ranked No. 3 on our Big Board in July, so it's a bit of stretch to say he's exceeded expectations. But the truth is that Kidd-Gilchrist has lived up to all the hype about his motor and toughness while showing a better offensive game than he did in high school.

We thought Zeller wasn't a serious one-and-done prospect, but next to Davis, he's been the second most efficient freshman in college basketball and has turned around the Hoosiers' program. He's now a legitimate lottery pick.

So sure, if everyone lived up to the hype, this could've been one of the best drafts ever. Instead we're left with one sure thing in Davis. Barnes will be a great scorer in the league -- but will he ever be any better than Danny Granger? Most teams are looking for more with the No. 2 pick in a great draft. Coaches will fall in love with Kidd-Gilchrist, but unless he develops a very consistent game from beyond the arc, his upside looks to be on par with a Gerald Wallace. Drummond has the tools of Stoudemire, but he could also bust out of the league in a few years. Beal is the one guy that's probably underrated right now.

After those five, the talent downgrades to good starter and then, after the 10th or 11th pick, to solid rotation player.

Good draft? Sure. Great draft? Hardly.
                              I don't agree with him 100% i do think its a great draft, but he makes some good points.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                I don't agree with him 100% i do think its a great draft, but he makes some good points.
                                Alot of the players are talented no doubt, but alot of them are projects. Very wing/big draft this time around. I think lottery teams are going to draft contributors right away.

Comment

Working...
                                X