No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes please if not, trade down and grab another pick, then get Gilchirist and Kabongo.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      I think Barnes and Jones made a mistake not coming out this season. Barnes might have went 1st overall. Jones was a lock for the top five. Both are likely to to slide a little now.
      If there is no nba season at all, there is a good chance that they'll be better players next year now that they did not enter the draft and missed out on a whole season of serious competition. Longterm it may be a good choice.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        If the Raptors land Barnes I'll be happy. I think Barnes and Jones made a mistake not coming out this season. Barnes might have went 1st overall. Jones was a lock for the top five. Both are likely to to slide a little now.
        I agree on Jones. Don't forget he is suspended for the first 5 games.

Barnes could be great if he plays like he did the last third of the season. I do not think he'll slip out of the top 8 and if the season is lost he'll have made a smart decision regardless.

I think Sullinger has the most to lose of these 3 players.

Comment

• Drummond to UCONN this fall!

2011-12 college ball should be awesome. They can stay locked out if they want..... actually not quite but at least the silver lining could be the best college basketball in years.

Center Andre Drummond, one of the nation's top recruits, posted on his Twitter account that he is headed to defending national champion Connecticut in the fall. Drummond, a 6-foot-11 center from Middletown, Conn., had said earlier this month that he was planning to spend a post-graduate year at prep school in Massachusetts. "It's official. I'm heading to the university of connecticut to be a husky this year! Do I hear a repeat?" he tweeted. The Huskies, who made a stunning run to the NCAA title last season, beating Butler in the championship game, currently do not have a scholarship available. The NCAA stripped UConn of one scholarship due to recruiting violations, and the school lost another team because of a sub-par Academic Performance Rating.
          http://www.hoopsworld.com/top-recrui...und-for-uconn/

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
            Barnes please if not, trade down and grab another pick, then get Gilchirist and Kabongo.
            Barnes would be my first choice but if we don't land a top 3 pick I don't see us grabbing him. Put me down for Gilchirist if we don't have a top 10 pick.

Comment

• UConn Adds Drummond: The entire college basketball world received a major shock yesterday as Andre Drummond, the premier high school big man in the country, reclassified from the 2012 recruiting class to 2011 and announced that he will be attending UConn this year.

For the last year there have been rumors that Drummond was considering making this move, but there never seemed to be any substance to it. The talk had really quieted down as of late because he appeared to be heading to prep school. Instead he’ll be helping the Huskies in their quest to repeat as national champions.

Without Kemba Walker, the Most Outstanding Player from the 2011 NCAA Tournament, the Huskies were expected to be taking a step backwards this upcoming season. With Drummond they become a viable threat to defend their crown.

Drummond is going to make his teammates’ lives much easier on the court and cause havoc for the opposition. At 6’10 and 275 lbs he’s a game changer on both ends of the floor. He’s going to draw away a lot of the attention that dynamic sophomore swingman Jeremy Lamb was going to be receiving offensively and defensively he’s going to form a scary duo inside the paint with forward Alex Oriakhi.

Several schools who thought they had a shot a Drummond were severely disappointed by this news, mainly Kentucky and West Virginia. UConn’s head coach Jim Calhoun really hit a home run by grabbing Drummond a year early.

Calhoun is the perfect fit for Drummond. As an intense, fiery head coach who demands the most from his players, he’ll get Drummond playing harder than he ever has. The only real knock that NBA general managers and scouts have on him now is that doesn’t give maximum effort at all times. Calhoun won’t allow that.

Expect Calhoun to use Drummond a lot like he used New Orleans Hornets center Emeka Okafor when he had him. Drummond will be the featured option inside with the freedom to utilize his underrated passing skills and developing face up game.

Just last week we went over the crop of players who are in contention for the number one pick in the 2012 draft. As great as North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes, Ohio State’s Jared Sullinger and Baylor’s Perry Jones are, Drummond will surpass them immediately on most mock drafts. His upside is off the charts. His potential is as high as any center prospect to come along in the last five years.

The hype surrounding Drummond is going to be hard to live up to. He can’t worry about his press clippings or any outside manners during what is very likely to be his only year at UConn. His primary focus has to be delivering on everything that Coach Calhoun asks of him. Calhoun has a stellar track record when it comes to getting players ready for the pros, so Drummond needs to make sure to do things the Calhoun way. If he does he’ll be just fine.

While all of the other national title contenders were upset by this news, for college basketball fans out there this is a real treat. Drummond was considering skipping college all together. To be able to see him in a year where the talent level was already so high is going to be terrific.

The date of Drummond’s debut is currently unknown because the Huskies have yet to release their schedule for the upcoming year.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-draft-2012-a-new-1/

Comment

• NBAdraft.net already Drummond going #1 in the draft next year. And rightfully so. He Graduated highschool this year, thus making him eligible next year for the draft.

He was going to stay another year at his Prep School instead of going to college for one year.
                So it's not really there's a new #1.
                He's just going to get better, and be an even more solid pick, thats all. haha
                Calhoun will be great with him.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  Drummond's fundamentals are very good. Face up, post up, on the wing in transistion, shooting, dribbling in traffic, passing, etc. Again, in this video he is against high school competition but he has an all around game even though he is huge and a man among boys.

Maybe i'm just the black sheep of this website, but I wasn't too impressed with the video. He couldn't go left hand to save his life and he just dunked over a bunch of smaller players.

He is big though so if you can get him to work hard a la dwight howard, he'd be killer. tough to say when you only see him play against smaller competition.

Comment

• I'm not too concerned with Drummond. I do not expect the Raptors to draft in the top 3 which is where he is likely to go anyways (NBADraft.net at #1 and DraftExpress.com at #3). What I do like about it is it likely pushes a wing like Barnes or Miller down another spot increasing the odds they will be on the board when it comes time to select. Draft gods - if you are listening - please bring us a star wing - thank you.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I'm not too concerned with Drummond. I do not expect the Raptors to draft in the top 3 which is where he is likely to go anyways (NBADraft.net at #1 and DraftExpress.com at #3). What I do like about it is it likely pushes a wing like Barnes or Miller down another spot increasing the odds they will be on the board when it comes time to select. Draft gods - if you are listening - please bring us a star wing - thank you.
                      +1

Comment

• This is definitely one of the most anticipated and talented drafts since 03. The top 20 players all seem better than this years top 5. I'd love it if Colangelo manages to get another first round pick, maybe a lotto team might want to take a gamble on Bargnani? It would be incredible if somehow the Raptors got Barnes and Kabongo...

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          This is definitely one of the most anticipated and talented drafts since 03. The top 20 players all seem better than this years top 5. I'd love it if Colangelo manages to get another first round pick, maybe a lotto team might want to take a gamble on Bargnani? It would be incredible if somehow the Raptors got Barnes and Kabongo...
                          Or if the age limit was removed and Shabazz Muhammad entered as well.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Or if the age limit was removed and Shabazz Muhammad entered as well.
                            Big fan of SM, but I wish he was 2" taller.
                            At 6'5" he'd hafta play SG, and we'd have to move Demar.

Comment

• Top 20 all better as this year's top 5 might just be a tiny bit over the top ...

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                Top 20 all better as this year's top 5 might just be a tiny bit over the top ...
                                I agree as well. Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams would both be Top 5 Selections in 2012 as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X