2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I don't think any GM in their right mind would trade Davis for Bargnani. Davis is a franchise player and will be in the running for defensive player of the year through out his career. Bargnani is a player which everyone likes to say is a match up nightmare, but you have to remember that it's also a nightmare for a coach to plan a defense around a player like him. Would be nice though and Jordan has been known to make poor draft decisions
    Ultimately I agree - I don't think another GM would take Barg over Davis.. but I actually think it would be Bryan that would hesitate to pull that trigger before anyone else would (unfortunately).

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      haha, guess I phrased it that way so I didn't have to mention that Beal is ahead of MKG on my list, as MKG has a few fans on this site to say the least.

Back to Beal though....he did all that yesterday even without the ball in his hands most of the time. Can you imagine what he can do with a pass first PG like Calderon?!
      I like the idea of pairing him with a defensive PG who can hit shots, actually.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• i'm only ok with beal if he has franchise player talent, otherwise F that. I really dont want us to draft a guy who is going to be average or slightly above average at the nba level. I haven't watched him play much so i'm not sure

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          i'm only ok with beal if he has franchise player talent, otherwise F that. I really dont want us to draft a guy who is going to be average or slightly above average at the nba level. I haven't watched him play much so i'm not sure
          I think the only consensus "franchise talent" in the draft is Davis. Everyone else in the top 10 are "maybes".

But if it's determined that Beal is the best player available by the time our pick rolls around, you gotta take him.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            I like the idea of pairing him with a defensive PG who can hit shots, actually.
            I like Calderon for his passing and shooting...sure you could hope for more, but you could always hope for more. I'm sure a PG is on the list of players to acquire, but is not the top priority imo. The wings are the areas to improve first followed by PG. Only so many moves you can make in one off season.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I think the only consensus "franchise talent" in the draft is Davis. Everyone else in the top 10 are "maybes".

But if it's determined that Beal is the best player available by the time our pick rolls around, you gotta take him.
              Agreed.

The one thing I really like about Davis, MKG, Beal and Barnes, is that none of them appear to be selfish me-first type players. They all seem to be really good team-oriented guys, almost to a fault. They all do what they are asked, perform their role and contribute to their team's success. I feel that any of them, especially the 3 wings, have potential to be even better than they have shown in the NCAA, simply because they have been performing their role in system offenses for very good, deep teams. They all seem to have high Basketball IQ as well, in addition to being effective at both ends of the court. I would be quite happy if the Raptors landed any of these 4 players in the upcoming draft.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Agreed.

The one thing I really like about Davis, MKG, Beal and Barnes, is that none of them appear to be selfish me-first type players. They all seem to be really good team-oriented guys, almost to a fault. They all do what they are asked, perform their role and contribute to their team's success. I feel that any of them, especially the 3 wings, have potential to be even better than they have shown in the NCAA, simply because they have been performing their role in system offenses for very good, deep teams. They all seem to have high Basketball IQ as well, in addition to being effective at both ends of the court. I would be quite happy if the Raptors landed any of these 4 players in the upcoming draft.
                I'm still not entirely sold on Barnes, but I agree. I'd be pleased with these guys.

Comment

• Gonna follow Barnes more closely tonight. I have always felt he plays far too passively. Big game...lets see him perform.

Comment

• Austin Rivers is declaring for the draft.

http://search.espn.go.com/first-take-austin-rivers/
                    Last edited by stretch; Fri Mar 23, 2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Koreen: UNC's Barnes may be a good fit in Toronto

TORONTO — Ed Davis was never a college teammate of Harrison Barnes.

Davis, the Toronto Raptors power forward, left the University of North Carolina after his sophomore year, declaring for the 2010 NBA draft. Barnes, a highly touted small forward, started his college career with the Tar Heels in the autumn of 2010. By then, Davis was rehabilitating a knee injury as a member of the Raptors.

Still, the Tar Heels community can be a tight one, and Davis knows Barnes well. To Raptors fans who are monitoring the performances of draft prospects in the NCAA tournament, looking forward to the team’s sure-to-be-high pick in June, Davis has a message.

“He’s going to be good,” Davis said of Barnes before his Raptors lost to the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday night. “He’s going to be a better pro than a college player. The college game slows him down.”

That presents a problem for members of NBA front offices — who are not allowed to comment on potentially draft eligible players until they have officially declared for the June draft. The college game is vastly different than the pro game, with the differences including a longer shot clock, more stringent coaching systems, one fewer personal foul — a big factor for big men — and, yes, a more crowded paint.

It is often difficult for offensively minded swingmen to delve into the paint. That is often left to guards. Perhaps that is why Barnes, still a consensus lottery pick but one whose stock has fallen slightly since he entered school, often looks like he lacks the primacy that the Raptors might be looking for in a wing player.

“It’s because the lane is crowded,” Davis said. “He’s playing in a system. In the NBA, he’ll get more [isolation] plays. He’s more of an iso player.

“He’s got a lot to him. He’s got a lot to his game. And he works … hard … That’s going to help him out a lot.”

Barnes averaged 17.3 points this year, leading the Tar Heels and improving on his freshman year. His field-goal percentage and three-point percentage, 45% and 38% respectively, also shot up. He averaged 15.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in the Tar Heels’ first two tournament wins, with his team playing Ohio on Friday night.

Still, his lack of playmaking skills that are evident at the college level make observers wonder if his skill set is right for the Raptors. Davis said the players try to judge prospects on that level, too.

“We joke about it all the time,” Davis said. “Like, [Kentucky power forward] Anthony Davis might be on our team next year, Harrison [too]. You just talk about it when you’re watching the game, how he would fit in, how he would do in the league.”
                      Source: Eric Koreen, National Post

Comment

• It's interesting to see Ed saying he and the other guys on the raptors talk about who would be a good fit etc.

Comment

• Draft Express updated today:

1 Anthony Davis PF
                          19 years old, Freshman
                          6' 10" 220lbs.
                          Kentucky
                          2 Andre Drummond C
                          18 years old, Freshman
                          6' 10" 251lbs.
                          Connecticut
                          3 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF
                          18 years old, Freshman
                          6' 7" 228lbs.
                          Kentucky

4 Thomas Robinson PF
                          21 years old, Junior
                          6' 9" 240lbs.
                          Kansas
                          5 Bradley Beal SG
                          18 years old, Freshman
                          6' 4" 201lbs.
                          Florida

6 Jared Sullinger C
                          20 years old, Sophomore
                          6' 9" 280lbs.
                          Ohio State
                          7 Harrison Barnes SF
                          19 years old, Sophomore
                          6' 8" 223lbs.
                          North Carolina

8 John Henson PF
                          21 years old, Junior
                          6' 11" 220lbs.
                          North Carolina
                          9 Perry Jones PF
                          20 years old, Sophomore
                          6' 11" 220lbs.
                          Baylor
                          10 Tyler Zeller C
                          22 years old, Senior
                          7' 0" 250lbs.
                          North Carolina
                          11 Terrence Jones SF/PF
                          20 years old, Sophomore
                          6' 9" 249lbs.
                          Kentucky
                          12 Jeremy Lamb SG
                          19 years old, Sophomore
                          6' 5" 185lbs.
                          Connecticut
                          13 Damian Lillard PG
                          21 years old, Junior
                          6' 2" 185lbs.
                          Weber State
                          14 Kendall Marshall PG
                          20 years old, Sophomore
                          6' 4" 180lbs.
                          North Carolina
                          15 Cody Zeller C
                          19 years old, Freshman
                          6' 11" 215lbs.
                          Indiana

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1pyj3Ol8v
                          http://www.draftexpress.com
                          Unless Toronto drafts #1, give me 3, 5, or 7 - not necessarily in that order.

Comment

• I find it interesting that Draft Express still has Kabongo entering the 2013 Draft despite the reports that he is intending on entering this year. I really want to know where they would project him to go if he is to enter this year. This was my big question for whenever they updated their rankings next, and yet they didn't do it. Little disappointed.

As for the top of their rankings, I would have to agree with Matt52. If we can't win the right to draft Davis, give me Kidd-Gilchrist, Barnes, or Beal. I might lean toward that order myself, but I would be satisfied with any of those three.
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Unless Toronto drafts #1, give me 3, 5, or 7 - not necessarily in that order.
                              Got a thing for Odd Numbers, eh? Haha

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Got a thing for Odd Numbers, eh? Haha
                                It's probably cause those even numbers are ''big''.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X