No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do see him being a good pick 5-10 down the road but not for the raptors. We have a solid prospect(at the bare minimal) in Jonas coming in at the 5 next year, a solid backup in A.Grey at 5, a glut at the 4 position with 1 starter and two solid players fighting for backup postion...

What we do have is far more needs at positions 1-3, and with a draft this solid in at least 2's & 3's I see no point in not filling that gap.

Comment

• After the combine i really see people will be locking him for the 2-3 pick once again..

don't let long tourney runs fool you..it's not about teams it's about players when you draft, and yes Drummond still can't carry his team all by him self but he is still a freakish project..he can be light years better than he is now..

you made a good point by saying where loaded with 4-5 so why not trade some off them to fill positions at 1-3? or target someone in the summer?
      Last edited by bounty; Thu Apr 5, 2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        During halftime of the National Championship, CBS played an interview with Barack Obama, in which the President said that he felt Marshall is one of the best point guards in the country. Marshall took to Twitter to respond. It was awesome.

HAHAHA

I want him SO much more now. This is f*cking GOLD.
        I hope obama gets a jersey with obreezy on it. that is wicked. marshall can play and i dont know if miller is one of the most under rated ever but he can do everything you want your point guard to do and has the ability to take over games. he is someone who 7 years ago i would have loved on the raptors.

Comment

• Unless the player's we are bringing in are Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson, than no thank you. Only because T-Rob and Anthony Davis show no signs to me at least to be busts. They will be players contributing right out of the gate.

But this team doesn't lack a big man front court. We are missing the key perimeter player, which most of are in the top 10.
          Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Quincy Miller. Some very good wing players that would address not only our needs, but best player available. With BC's mind of "hitting the ground running," a bust is not what we need.

Even drafting a point guard at this moment would be smarter than drafting Andre Drummond in my opinion....

I don't know, it's just my opinion. If I were B.C and if Gilchrist and Anthony Davis are off the board, and Andre Drummond is the next best player available, I'm looking elsewhere.... On to the next one so to speak. We'd probably be saying hello to Bradley Beal or Harrison Barnes.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            He is actually a poor defender. He won't hang with the guards in this league. He will actually be Jose 2.0 but a lil more risky.
            I was talking about Andre Miller's defense, he's a better defender than Jose I can tell you that...

Kendall Marshall I admit isn't a very good defender, but he's a good point guard, if he wasn't injury I can guarantee them in the NCAA Championship vs. Kentucky. I could even see them winning.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Unless the player's we are bringing in are Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson, than no thank you. Only because T-Rob and Anthony Davis show no signs to me at least to be busts. They will be players contributing right out of the gate.

But this team doesn't lack a big man front court. We are missing the key perimeter player, which most of are in the top 10.
              Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Quincy Miller. Some very good wing players that would address not only our needs, but best player available. With BC's mind of "hitting the ground running," a bust is not what we need.

Even drafting a point guard at this moment would be smarter than drafting Andre Drummond in my opinion....

I don't know, it's just my opinion. If I were B.C and if Gilchrist and Anthony Davis are off the board, and Andre Drummond is the next best player available, I'm looking elsewhere.... On to the next one so to speak. We'd probably be saying hello to Bradley Beal or Harrison Barnes.

But, that would mean he would be better as a rookie. You have to look down the line. Thomas Robinson averaged 2.5 ppg and 2.7 rpg as a freshman, shooting 39.5% from the line. He showed a great deal of improvement as a sophomore and now was in the running for NCAA POY. Before the season started, people laughed off his being drafted in front of Jared Sullinger, now it is considered the norm.

I love it when rookies are able to contribute right away, but the best rookies do not always do so. Not only that, but the best NBA prospects do not always have monster freshman seasons. There have been many who have, but there are definite exceptions to the rule.

I think Drummond is going to be great in the NBA at UConn centers are mostly used for defense, not offense(Emeka Okafor, Thabeet). While drummond is great on defense, his offensive prowess was rarely shown. I'll agree that he is raw, but ridiculous athleticism is one thing that excels in the NBA.

Comment

• I think a lot of people forgot that he skipped his last year of HS to be a freshman at uconn Im sure all the issues (Calhoun's health, possible post season bans, etc. He wasnt the only player on the team having an up and down season. Still his physical tools and potential have to be taken into consideration. He has one off the best body's of any prospect Comming out of the draft

Comment

• bounty wrote: View Post
                  But, that would mean he would be better as a rookie. You have to look down the line. Thomas Robinson averaged 2.5 ppg and 2.7 rpg as a freshman, shooting 39.5% from the line. He showed a great deal of improvement as a sophomore and now was in the running for NCAA POY. Before the season started, people laughed off his being drafted in front of Jared Sullinger, now it is considered the norm.

I love it when rookies are able to contribute right away, but the best rookies do not always do so. Not only that, but the best NBA prospects do not always have monster freshman seasons. There have been many who have, but there are definite exceptions to the rule.

I think Drummond is going to be great in the NBA at UConn centers are mostly used for defense, not offense(Emeka Okafor, Thabeet). While drummond is great on defense, his offensive prowess was rarely shown. I'll agree that he is raw, but ridiculous athleticism is one thing that excels in the NBA.
                  Great deal of improvement, if he can do that in the NCAA, his work ethic (which is said to be one of the best) would help him to continue to excel and develop as a player in the next level.

In this case the more I wouldn't want Andre Drummond if his athletic ability and defense is going to be of Emeka Okafor and Hasheem Thabeet.
                  I like Drummond, I just don't want another possibility of a bust on this team... Raw athleticism can develop into something much better i.e Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler. But they could be nothing more than a Emeka Okafor, Joel Anthony, Hasheem Thabeet.

Anyways with Jonas Valanciunas coming in, I have no want for Andre Drummond, being he is a PF/C. I don't see him taking any position over down the road over Andrea or Jonas. Thomas Robinson and Anthony Davis are the two that I want in terms of getting the front-court big man, just because Anthony Davis is no need to explain, and Thomas Robinson is a freak athlete as well, better offensive polish, very good defender, NBA ready body.

Comment

I think a lot of people forgot that he skipped his last year of HS to be a freshman at uconn Im sure all the issues (Calhoun's health, possible post season bans, etc. He wasnt the only player on the team having an up and down season. Still his physical tools and potential have to be taken into consideration. He has one off the best body's of any prospect Comming out of the draft
                    So does Thomas Robinson.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Great deal of improvement, if he can do that in the NCAA, his work ethic (which is said to be one of the best) would help him to continue to excel and develop as a player in the next level.

In this case the more I wouldn't want Andre Drummond if his athletic ability and defense is going to be of Emeka Okafor and Hasheem Thabeet.
                      I like Drummond, I just don't want another possibility of a bust on this team... Raw athleticism can develop into something much better i.e Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler. But they could be nothing more than a Emeka Okafor, Joel Anthony, Hasheem Thabeet.

Anyways with Jonas Valanciunas coming in, I have no want for Andre Drummond, being he is a PF/C. I don't see him taking any position over down the road over Andrea or Jonas. Thomas Robinson and Anthony Davis are the two that I want in terms of getting the front-court big man, just because Anthony Davis is no need to explain, and Thomas Robinson is a freak athlete as well, better offensive polish, very good defender, NBA ready body.
                      Hasheem Thabeet, Jonny Flynn and Jordan Hill all stayed in college for a couple of years. I will not say that choosing "potential" over "proven skills" can not be the wrong thing to do, but it absolutely works both ways. There have been many players who had fantastic college careers who have turned out to be way less inspiring NBA players. People wanted Orlando to take Emeka Okafor over Dwight Howard. Drew Gooden went before Amare Stoudemire. Rashad McCants was the 14th pick in the draft and Monta Ellis went 40.

The funny thing is, when you're as athletic and as big as Andre Drummond you don't need legit post moves. People may dislike this but Dwight at 26-27 or what ever he is, still barely has any post moves and he's said to be the most dominant center in the league. Dwight has that running sweeping hook now and that's about it.

I think Andre Drummond suffers from the same syndrome as Perry Jones, his attention span isn't always there and his competitive fire isn't always lit and if it was lit they could do some real damage.
                      Last edited by bounty; Fri Apr 6, 2012, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• said it before and i will say it once more. i see kwame brown in drummond. he couldnt bring himself to dominate people smaller than him. give him 5 million a year and make the game difficult? don't see it.

we will see jack armstrong write a piece about how good it is to have your sons grow to be 7 feet tall in a few years about drummond.

for the record i don't wish him failure i just forsee it in him more than any of the top prospects in this years draft. and if he can put it together he would bring the greatest reward.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          said it before and i will say it once more. i see kwame brown in drummond. he couldnt bring himself to dominate people smaller than him. give him 5 million a year and make the game difficult? don't see it.

we will see jack armstrong write a piece about how good it is to have your sons grow to be 7 feet tall in a few years about drummond.

for the record i don't wish him failure i just forsee it in him more than any of the top prospects in this years draft. and if he can put it together he would bring the greatest reward.
                          Drummond is no where near as bad as Kwame if drummond was blind he still wouldnt be that bad.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEGh...e_gdata_player

Sorry just had to put this up
                            Last edited by bounty; Fri Apr 6, 2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Drummond is no where near as bad as Kwame if drummond was blind he still wouldnt be that bad.
                              coming out of high school kwame was a huge beast of a project just like drummond. we can all say kwame sucks now becasue we have seen him suck for so long. if drummond was not a project due to his giantism he would have at least lived up to expectations this year where he plays against a lot of players who will never get a sniff of the nba.

i am not saying he is kwame 2.0 because kwame wasnt even the first big man drafted on potential and hugeness to bust. if drummond is able to turn being a monster at 18 years old into a guaranteed 15 million dollars i congratulate him. but to not look at the possibility that he will never be that i think is a little blind.

i am not saying he can only and ever will be a bust. i am just saying of all the players at the top of the pile he is the most likely.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                coming out of high school kwame was a huge beast of a project just like drummond. we can all say kwame sucks now becasue we have seen him suck for so long. if drummond was not a project due to his giantism he would have at least lived up to expectations this year where he plays against a lot of players who will never get a sniff of the nba.

i am not saying he is kwame 2.0 because kwame wasnt even the first big man drafted on potential and hugeness to bust. if drummond is able to turn being a monster at 18 years old into a guaranteed 15 million dollars i congratulate him. but to not look at the possibility that he will never be that i think is a little blind.

i am not saying he can only and ever will be a bust. i am just saying of all the players at the top of the pile he is the most likely.
                                Tyson Chandler was the #2 pick in the 2001 Draft. He has averaged 8.5 ppg and 8.9 rpg for his career. Last season, Tyson was a defensive anchor for a championship team. You could argue that there were people from his draft with more career success, even a few who have played crucial roles on championship teams (Tony Parker and Pau Gasol, for instance). So, Tyson may not have deserved to be the #2 pick, value wise, but his value is still tremendous. Having Tyson means you have a center who will compete with the best centers out there. To me, that is what I think Drummond has the potential to do. He will be a defensive force with his strength, length and speed, plus will be able to overpower smaller foes. He has things to learn and things to work on like his offensive game just imagine him and JV developing there games together.

Comment

Working...
                                X