No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think a JV and AD2 (2 is for two eyebrows) frontcourt could resemble a Gasol-Bynum frontcourt (with better defense), but then the raptors would have to trade 2 power forwards and get some value back at the 1/2/3 positions. And Drummond is alot more raw than JV (and JV is pretty raw), so he would need much time to reach his potential

Comment

• There seems to be a lot of questions about his drive. On one of the draft sites, his scouting report had something to the effect of, "Not sure if he actually likes playing basketball." That's a giant flashing warning sign if I've ever read one. The pessimist in me envisions him getting to Toronto, having a hard time adjusting to the city and subsequently losing his heart on the court. A little harsh maybe but I'm pretty jaded at this point.

That being said, UCONN would have been a whacky place to play for an 18 year old kid this year and there's been plenty of other prospects who had their will to win questioned only to go on to great NBA careers. I think if he lands in the right place with the right coaching staff he could turn out to be very good. Oddly enough, I think Casey and him would be a great fit.

If I were the Raptors I wouldn't be targeting Drummond but if they end up picking 6th or 7th and he's still on the board when Toronto selects then maybe you start taking a look at him then.

Comment

• My prediction is that Drummond, who has shown a lack of determination and drive leading up to this point, will be even less likely to be motivated and focused to excel once he starts collecting the big pay cheques and all the distractions that go with being a NBA player. He has more maturity than Demarcus Cousins but less skills.

Comment

• bounty wrote: View Post
          Drummond is no where near as bad as Kwame if drummond was blind he still wouldnt be that bad.

All we know is that when Kwame Brown came in to the league he had so much hype that he was considered to be much better than Andre Drummond is at this time. Which just goes to show, we dont know how good Drummond will be, Kwame Browns numbers coming out of college 20 pts 13 reb 6 blocks per game! Those are way better than Drummond's and look how Kwame turned out.

I'm not bashing drummond I'm just saying we don't if he is as bad as Kwame Brown yet.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            All we know is that when Kwame Brown came in to the league he had so much hype that he was considered to be much better than Andre Drummond is at this time. Which just goes to show, we dont know how good Drummond will be, Kwame Browns numbers coming out of college 20 pts 13 reb 6 blocks per game! Those are way better than Drummond's and look how Kwame turned out.

I'm not bashing drummond I'm just saying we don't if he is as bad as Kwame Brown yet.

Uhhhhhh...Kwame Brown was drafted out High school.

Comment

• If drive and determination is a factor, could Andre Drummond be another UCONN product in the mold of Hasheem Thabeet?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                I hope obama gets a jersey with obreezy on it. that is wicked. marshall can play and i dont know if miller is one of the most under rated ever but he can do everything you want your point guard to do and has the ability to take over games. he is someone who 7 years ago i would have loved on the raptors.
                I remember when Miller went off for 50 something not to long ago, and he was totally non-chalant about the whole thing.
                Like it was no biggy.

It was hard to tell what the Trail Blazers were more impressed with Saturday night: Andre Miller’s 52-point outburst in a 114-112 win at Dallas, or his reaction to it.

“That is one dude who does not care ... anything it takes to win, that’s all he cares about,’’ Martell Webster marvelled. “He came in here like nothing happened.’’

“Yeah,’’ LaMarcus Aldridge said. “He’s in here acting like he had 10 points. I’m like, ‘Andre, how about some emotion? How about some excitement?’ He said ‘We won.’’’

In a nutshell, that’s Miller. Quiet, confident, unselfish and about the team.

His performance - 22-of-31 from the field, including his only three-point attempt - was amazing as it was varied.

His first shoot was horrible, missing everything except the other side of the backboard.

But then he started hitting mid-range jumpers. Post-ups. And then it became drive after drive, some of them finished with brilliant english off the glass.

But the one that had everyone talking afterward was the running right-handed hook shot in the lane with 14.5 seconds left in regulation that tied the game at 103.

It was Magic Johnson against the Celtics in Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals.

“That’s what I was saying on the bench,’’ Aldridge said. “I said it was just like Magic.’’

Comment

• Personally, I do like Drummond. For those ragging on the kid, he did put up some good numbers - as a freshman. He's quite agile, he can be a beast in the paint and an intimidating shot blocker. I'd rather try to swing for the fences than try to bunt for single.

If Davis, MKG, Drummond and Beal are all off the table, I'd trade down for Kendal Marshall. What this team needs is players who hav good ball IQ and can put their teammates in a position to succeed. Afterall, besides Calderon, who else do we have to run the point? Should Calderon leave, after next season, who's gonna run the show? A good point guard is harder to find than a swingman.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    Personally, I do like Drummond. For those ragging on the kid, he did put up some good numbers - as a freshman. He's quite agile, he can be a beast in the paint and an intimidating shot blocker. I'd rather try to swing for the fences than try to bunt for single.

If Davis, MKG, Drummond and Beal are all off the table, I'd trade down for Kendal Marshall. What this team needs is players who hav good ball IQ and can put their teammates in a position to succeed. Afterall, besides Calderon, who else do we have to run the point? Should Calderon leave, after next season, who's gonna run the show? A good point guard is harder to find than a swingman.
                    Don't forget T-Rob. The guy is tremendous, NBA-ready body, good athleticism, solid offensive polish, heart and hustle player. I like him. And I really like Kendall Marshall as well.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I'm not overly sold on Robinson - that's why I didn't put him on my list. I don't know why. I just couldn't tell you. Something about him I'm not feeling. I'd select him with the purpose and intention of trading him.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        I'm not overly sold on Robinson - that's why I didn't put him on my list. I don't know why. I just couldn't tell you. Something about him I'm not feeling. I'd select him with the purpose and intention of trading him.
                        For me I wonder about Robinson being stuck behind the Morris twins for two years and their mediocre-to-underwhelming showing in the NBA thus far.

I know that is not concrete reasoning but it weighs on my mind.

Also, Kansas has a great NCAA program but, outside of Pierce, they have hardly created NBA stars in recent memory. Top players on good NCAA teams tend to get recognition but that doesn't necessarily translate to NBA success.

It is hard for me to pinpoint concretely what I don't like about Robinson. But for whatever reason, I am not sold on the guy either.

Comment

• Does anybody remenber Amare's rookie year when he was the age of college sophomores but just coming out of high school? Amare didn't do anything but dunk off of lobs because he ran the floor hard and was occasionally capably of taking two dribbles from the foul line and dunking. The skill set was there for Amare but he didn't know how to use it in game and didn't have the confidence to do it. Once that came he took off. thanks to (nash)

The same thing goes for Drummond. He has the skill set he just don't know how to use it in games. If you watched Enes Kanter play for the Jazz this season you'd think he was just another big who could rebound but had no moves in the post, but Kanter got a ton of post moves he don't know how to use yet in the game. Drummond is going to make an easier transition to the league then most people realize because in the pro's he's gonna learn how to run the floor hard, and considering he's faster then most big men on this planet he's going to become a force doing that. Look at what Marcin Gortat is doing based on pure athleticism, size, and running. Deandre Jordan too. Jordan get's a lot of points because of the pace the Clippers play at, he wouldn't get anywhere near them highlight dunks if he played on a team like the Bucks that likes to sit on the ball til the shot clock expires.

Drummond has a ton of agility but he moves similar to LeBron in that he moves with power and not grace. He does look kinda clumsy sometimes but that's just a maturation process.
                          Last edited by bounty; Fri Apr 6, 2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• bounty wrote: View Post
                            Does anybody remenber Amare's rookie year when he was the age of college sophomores but just coming out of high school? Amare didn't do anything but dunk off of lobs because he ran the floor hard and was occasionally capably of taking two dribbles from the foul line and dunking. The skill set was there for Amare but he didn't know how to use it in game and didn't have the confidence to do it. Once that came he took off. thanks to (nash)

The same thing goes for Drummond. He has the skill set he just don't know how to use it in games. If you watched Enes Kanter play for the Jazz this season you'd think he was just another big who could rebound but had no moves in the post, but Kanter got a ton of post moves he don't know how to use yet in the game. Drummond is going to make an easier transition to the league then most people realize because in the pro's he's gonna learn how to run the floor hard, and considering he's faster then most big men on this planet he's going to become a force doing that. Look at what Marcin Gortat is doing based on pure athleticism, size, and running. Deandre Jordan too. Jordan get's a lot of points because of the pace the Clippers play at, he wouldn't get anywhere near them highlight dunks if he played on a team like the Bucks that likes to sit on the ball til the shot clock expires.

Drummond has a ton of agility but he moves similar to LeBron in that he moves with power and not grace. He does look kinda clumsy sometimes but that's just a maturation process.
                            The problem I have with Drummond is that he doesn't look like he has that motor that I'd want in a big man. He could end up like Amare or Deandre but he's so raw that he'd need a lot of time to develop into a good NBA player. Do the Raptors have the development time to give to a guy like him? I'm more than happy to part ways with Bargnani or ED but would Colangelo be willing to part way with those guys to help develop Drummond who would be so raw?

If developing a project I'd rather give that time to someone on the wing since it would take less time theoretically for them to develop into an NBA player. If a big needs 3-5 years.. a wing/guard would only need 2-3 years to develop. That's critical if you want the Raptors to look for success in the next 3 years.

Drummond could end up huge, but I'd rather put my money on a guy like Barnes, Lamb or Marshall (if drafting out of the top 4).

But ideally I'd like to try and trade up in this draft. If Bryan's goal this season was to tank (which seems likely since he brought in guys like Anthony Carter, Magloire and "lottery ball" Butler) then trading up should be a goal. No one will trade Anthony Davis, but I could see a team trading away MKG or Beals for the right offer. Imagine if Bryan offered ED, Barnes (via the 7th pick), and one of our 2nd rounders for MKG? I could see a team like NO or Washington seriously considering it. Of course anything can happen in the Draft Lottery and that day can't come soon enough.

Comment

• I smell another lottery ball fix/conspiracy from the same man, David Stern, that brought Ewing to the Knicks and Rose and LBJ to their home town franchises (Akron is a short commute to Cleveland). The NBA announced this week that the Hornets are very close to being sold and staying in NOLA. How much more would a franchise be worth with Anthony Davis on board? 25 million, 50 million or more?

Comment

• Kwame Browns numbers coming out of college 20 pts 13 reb 6 blocks per game!
                                MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                Uhhhhhh...Kwame Brown was drafted out High school.
                                I want the Raptors to find the guy who had the fake Kwame Brown college stats that "bounty" posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X