2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There are 127 NCAA games on Friday, November 11th.
    That's it? Weak.

Get your fix e'rbody!

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Literally, anything.
      He must be a hit with the ladies!
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Literally, anything.
        Haha very funny. you know what i meant by anything, search him up on youtube and watch his passes. He passes it out of nowhere, he puts his through his legs and passes it behind him, over his shoulder. He acts like its nothing, passes with such ease.

Comment

• lol i used the word passes a little more than i should have

Comment

• Chris Mannix: NBA executive texting about draft column: "This is the year to have multiple picks. About ten players who could go No. 1." Twitter
            Unless they up the age to 20!

Comment

• Barnes added 15 pounds, so did Jones; Barnes worked on his handle, Jones matured

“After the season, I sat down with Coach … and then I talked to John and Z [Tyler Zeller] about what they were going to do,’’ Barnes said. “And my decision was to come back to school, develop my game, seeing as there was some uncertainty about the NBA, as well as come back to a team that could possibly win a national championship.”

To try to achieve those goals, he hit the weight room hard in the offseason, adding 15 pounds of strength. He also worked on his ballhandling. The combination, Marshall said, is going to make the Naismith candidate even more frustrating for defenders to deal with – and probably increase his scoring average (15.7 ppg last season).

“One thing he’s gotten really good at is taking contact,’’ Marshall said. “And I think he’ll get to the free-throw line maybe twice as much as he did last year.”

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...arrison-barnes
              UNC vs. Kentucky - December 3rd on CBS - book it.

Jones is bigger and stronger, but most of all, he's mentally tougher. He chose to come back to college to improve his draft status, but also because he has unfinished business at Kentucky.

And the attitude shows. He is different, most everyone who has watched him play says.

Calipari has spent the better part of this preseason lauding Jones' maturity, pointing to a newfound commitment at practice as evidence that Jones is ready not just to be the best player for Kentucky -- but one of the best in the country.

"I'm used to being here now,'' Jones said. "The attention and all is just part of being here. I take it as something to enjoy now. I'd rather have all the attention than nobody paying any attention to us.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

Comment

• What if the NBA followed the NHL draft process with a lost season?

The NHL elected to use a lottery and cooked up a creative solution. The amount of lottery balls a team had was based on two criteria: the number of times a team made the playoffs the last three seasons and the number of times a team had drafted No. 1 in the previous three drafts. Using that model, four teams -- the New York Rangers, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Columbus -- each had three of the 48 balls in the bin. Ten teams had two balls and 16 had one.

The result was one of the more compelling drafts in NHL history. While Pittsburgh, which finished the '03-04 season with a league-worst 58 points, secured the top pick in 2005, there were some surprises. Perennial doormat Florida picked 29th. Ottawa and Vancouver, two 100-plus-point teams in the previous regular season, were slotted ninth and 10th, respectively.

Should the NBA adopt a similar system, it would be weighted like this:

Three balls: Minnesota, Golden State, New Jersey, Toronto, Sacramento.

Two balls: Detroit, Houston, Indiana, L.A. Clippers, Milwaukee, New York, Charlotte, Phoenix, Memphis, Washington.

One ball: Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, L.A. Lakers, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Portland, San Antonio, Utah, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Boston.

Assuring that every team has a chance to get the No. 1 pick will likely be the sticking point. "If they didn't or if the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year were the only ones in the lottery," the East executive said, "the playoff teams would go ballistic." Why? Because while the 2011 draft was considered to be low on top-tier talent, the 2012 class has the potential to be stocked. Kentucky's Anthony Davis, Connecticut's Andre Drummond, North Carolina's Harrison Barnes and Ohio State's Jared Sullinger are already viewed as NBA-ready prospects, while more raw talents like Duke's Austin Rivers, Connecticut's Jeremy Lamb and Kentucky's Marquis Teague could rocket up the draft board quickly.

"It's loaded," an Eastern Conference personnel scout said. "Look at this year's draft and, outside of Kyrie Irving, you can't say if there is another immediate impact player. Next year, there are probably going to be eight or nine guys who fit that description."
                If the next collective bargaining agreement includes rules that help restrict player movement, landing an impact player in the draft could become increasingly important. The possible scenarios in a league-wide lottery are landscape-changing:

• What if the Nets, who have a sparkling new arena in Brooklyn and (if they can re-sign him) a franchise point guard in Williams, were slotted in a position where they could acquire an elite forward like Barnes or Sullinger? Either might make Brooklyn even more enticing to Howard.

• What if Boston, which has two first-round picks in the '12 draft, is able to get players who could complement the Big Three now and replace them later?

• What if any of the uber-elite teams (such as Miami, Dallas, Oklahoma City and Chicago), who have a slim chance of landing a high pick, are able to fortify already talented rosters? (Note: Per RealGM, Miami has a No. 1 pick, though Cleveland has the right to swap with the Heat. Both could still get a high selection. Details of other picks are listed there.)

A canceled season could create a scenario that might reshape the league in an unexpected way.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1csSoQWUo

Not sure I'd be comfortable with this system. Maybe same set up but with 5/3/1 set up?

Hopefully this is a non issue.

Comment

There are 127 NCAA games on Friday, November 11th.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard?date=20111111
                  I'll probably be too busy playing Skyrim. lol

Comment

Not sure I'd be comfortable with this system. Maybe same set up but with 5/3/1 set up?

Hopefully this is a non issue.
                    I just have this sinking feeling that Miami would come up with a high pick. I'm not comfortable with any lotto system where the top teams have a crack at top ten picks.

Comment

• It is a hard thing to figure out, on one hand you know what teams have been pretty bad over the last few years and what teams have been very good. What is fair for those middle of the pack teams? I just hope that if there is no season we somehow stay in a top 5 position, we deserve it and need it.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• I would rather see them cancel the draft than give the top teams a shot at a high lottery pick. That's no way to kick off a new CBA that is supposed to be about creating parity and not parody.

Comment

• If you're going to use a system where teams are awarded balls, the number should be weighted more toward the poorer teams. Instead of 3, 2 and 1 ball teams, 5, 3 and 1 would at the very least give perennially bad teams a better shot at the talent they need, and it would be more in keeping with how the current draft is structured, where the worst team usually has a 20-25ish percent chance to land the first pick and the 5 worst teams usually make up at least 50% of the total balls.

I completely disagree though with giving playoff teams a shot at the lottery, at least not teams that have made the playoffs in each of the past 3 years. To me that's completely unacceptable.

Comment

• Hmmm, no CBA = no draft?

Of course, talking about what the NHL did is really putting the cart before the horse. In fact, talking about the 2012 draft – even if we postulate that the 2011-12 season is lost – is premature.

There can be no NBA draft without a collective bargaining agreement in place. There can be no draft combine, no contact with potential NBA players by NBA teams (so no workouts), and draft picks cannot be awarded without the rules that create the entire structure . . .which are all part of a collective bargaining agreement.

Interestingly, decertification doesn’t make this any easier, as under the mentality that’s driving the push for decertification views the draft as a method of restricting a player’s ability to maximize his earnings. Instead of finding the best offer on the open market, players must sign with the teams that draft them.

The question of how the 2012 NBA Draft looks if an entire season is missed is a legitimate question, but the reality is that with no collective bargaining agreement in place there is no draft. There are no rules to govern the proceedings, there is no legal means for teams to have any contact with potential draft picks, and there is no draft order.

Until we have a new collective bargaining agreement, there is no 2012 NBA Draft.
                            Source

Comment

• Sources: Lockout draft order discussed

Options for determining the 2012 NBA draft order if the 2011-12 season is canceled have been discussed in labor talks, according to league sources.

The simplest method, one source said, would be to base the order on the final 2010-11 regular season standings and then hold the lottery again. However, several sources said that is the least likely option because it would favor the particular circumstances of last season.

Another formula would order the 30 teams based on their aggregate winning percentage for the last five regular seasons and then set the top 14 picks by lottery, according to a source.

A source also said the league could use the aggregate winning percentage from the last three regular seasons and then set the final 14 by lottery.

When the NHL conducted its 2005 draft following a lockout-canceled 2004-05 season, it used a formula that weighted a league-wide lottery in favor of teams that did not make the playoffs the previous three seasons. It also weighed in teams that had not received the top pick during that time.

Any aggregate method employed by the NBA, league sources said, could include a formula that tilted the percentages for the lottery teams in a similar fashion to what the NHL did.
                              Source
                              Any of the options would be good for the Raps, considering we haven't really been all that good for a little while now.

Comment

Any of the options would be good for the Raps, considering we haven't really been all that good for a little while now.
                                True. The more I think of it though, any method that gives an team like the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, etc. a lottery pick is not good with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X