No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure I like the idea of a wing combo involving DeRozan and Barnes. Two guys who can't create their own shot. In late game situations, we'd resort to running more PNRs led by Calderon (again), while most other teams simply run an ISO for their best wing player. Calderon is a pretty solid option running such a play, but we have to remind ourselves that his days in Toronto are likely numbered. We need a wing capable of playing like a wing.

Also, I had high hopes for Davis coming into this season. But he's still extremely raw offensively. Not sure if I'm comfortable with his as a starter.

Lastly, I expect a LOT of roster turnover next season. The only new additions you've suggested are Kaman, Barnes and Barbosa (kind of). I think Colangelo will dig a little deeper into his bag of tricks.

Comment

• I think Barnes can quite easily turn into a solid NBA player, definitely a top-8 rotation player (at the very least). I don't see him as a franchise player or even sure-fire all star, but then this entire draft seems to be full of good-but-not-great players (aside from Davis eventually, perhaps). Barnes can shoot, which would definitely help address Toronto's 3-pt shooting and floor spacing. He is a good athlete and decent defender, with a seemingly high BBIQ, who I think DC could mould into an effective system player at both ends of the court.

As for Davis, I would much prefer to trade Amir, but expect Davis to be the more attractive asset (ie: easier to trade with likely higher returns). There's already an entire thread dedicated to Davis' future in Toronto, based on the Chisholm article.

Regardless of who BC drafts with their lottery pick, this roster is likely to look significantly different from this year's team. At this point, I don't think anybody other than Valanciunas is 100% guaranteed to stay on the roster (again, there's already a thread dedicated to 'who's most likely to be on next season's roster'). I imagine that at this point in time, BC probably has Barnes, MKG and Beal in his top-3 most desired wings from the draft and he'd probably be happy drafting any of them with a pick in the #5-9 range.

PS: this should probably just be part of the huge 2012 draft thead, no?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Not sure I like the idea of a wing combo involving DeRozan and Barnes. Two guys who can't create their own shot. In late game situations, we'd resort to running more PNRs led by Calderon (again), while most other teams simply run an ISO for their best wing player. Calderon is a pretty solid option running such a play, but we have to remind ourselves that his days in Toronto are likely numbered. We need a wing capable of playing like a wing.

Also, I had high hopes for Davis coming into this season. But he's still extremely raw offensively. Not sure if I'm comfortable with his as a starter.

Lastly, I expect a LOT of roster turnover next season. The only new additions you've suggested are Kaman, Barnes and Barbosa (kind of). I think Colangelo will dig a little deeper into his bag of tricks.
        well my hope was barnes turns into something he is currently not, someone who IS capable of creating his own shot, and taking guys off the dribble. That is the only way I see us obtaining a wing player who can do that (I am certain everyone would try and lowball us trade wise), is through the draft. I know you're high on bradley beal, but I question his size, and I disagree about your take on derozan, he is still very young, and while he probably won't become an all star I think he can be a solid starter/maybe borderline all star in 2 years.

and why are calderon's days likely numbered? because you say so?But that is not the point, I am willing to take the risk that barnes comes around, and one day turns into the type of player that doesn't need calderon to be effective. It is a huge risk, but we need the star power.
        Last edited by akashsingh; Wed Apr 18, 2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Id rather MKG for what its worth, he is quicker, bigger, more athletic, can give us rebounding on the wing, and would create better defensive pressure. Barnes is good, but MKG fits into what we have now much better
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• imv, at the tournament Barnes was a bad fail for me. He was arguably the option 1 on his team and when the chips were down he could neither shoot it nor create to score in a desperate spot. I frankly am afraid of him as a high pick. I am not even sure about his defensive abilities including his passivity. Too many areas requiring improvement and he comes from an elite school and has been touted for quite a number of years. For him not to end up being a difference maker (even in a loss) is scary about his long term viability. Hopefully we get a player that is a difference maker and can be at the very least be a decent contributor next year (first/second substitution) next year. Best player available should be the pick. If BC thinks he is we'll just have to live with it and hope he becomes what you think he will. It might also mean BC's job.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
              Id rather MKG for what its worth, he is quicker, bigger, more athletic, can give us rebounding on the wing, and would create better defensive pressure. Barnes is good, but MKG fits into what we have now much better
              While I can't really comment on athleticism and quickness, I can for a fact say that Barnes has better hieght and length at this point in time. MKG could still grow a bit, both have solid frames.

Here is a sample from one of Barnes' better games this year.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dVMCRc1rg
              Last edited by WJF; Wed Apr 18, 2012, 05:49 PM.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Barnes just is not wide enough, MKG is stronger and can bring to the table the intangibles that Kawhi Leonard was said to have last year, except MKG has offensive skills as well.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• i've changed my mind, the athleticism of mkg is too much to pass up on if we have the chance to draft him. But if we draft him, I still say we shouldn't change anything else.

Comment

• i agree with Ceez if MKG is there we take him no matter what. He is a very hard worker so improving his shooting shouldn't take long at all. We can't pass up on those type of abilities that he possesses. The core of JV, MKG, DeMar, and Bargnani would be amazing.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Field goal percentage aside, were Jordan or Wade's jumpers considered "weapons" in college? MKG shot 49% last year too.
                      MJ's shot 44.7% from the 3 point line in 3 years at UNC. Jason Kapono shot 44.6% from 3 point range in four seasons at UCLA. It's fair to say that both were outside good shooters coming into the NBA. So again, not true that MJ was just a dunker in college.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...pono/1999-2000
                      http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/college_stats.htm

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                        MJ's shot 44.7% from the 3 point line in 3 years at UNC. Jason Kapono shot 44.6% from 3 point range in four seasons at UCLA. It's fair to say that both were outside good shooters coming into the NBA. So again, not true that MJ was just a dunker in college.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...pono/1999-2000
                        http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/college_stats.htm
                        And then he shot under 30% for five of his first 7 NBA seasons including 17%, 16%, 18%, and 13% percent in his first four years. Also, based on the stats you gave, that was 34 for 76 in his sophomore season. What about freshman and junior years?

Personally, I'd rather see Beal in a Raptor uniform but I would not shed one tear if it was MKG.

Comment

• If beal has D Wade potential sign me up otherwise it's iffy for me

Comment

• I'm going with skill over athleticism. It goes Beal, Barnes, and then MKG for me, but either player is an improvement over any player on our roster.

Comment

• We have enough talent to choose from if we are drafting top 6. But what happens if we end up lower in the draft?
                              Do we go for solid but unspectacular players who will become decent pros? Or do we trade down and pick a high-risk reward player like Royce White who might end up as low as early second rounder in the draft. If we can land someone like Jennings/Gordon/Harden by trading down I would seriously consider it. Casey might be the perfect coach for him. And with such low expectations (because of his personal problems) he might want to prove a point in the NBA.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                I'm going with skill over athleticism. It goes Beal, Barnes, and then MKG for me, but either player is an improvement over any player on our roster.
                                college stats are as reliable as walmart goods. For someone to carry over his college skills to the NBA it has to be 'freakish' and he needs good size. JJreddick is probably an exception because of his attitude and even he went lower in the draft. Freakish athleticism over meaningless college stats for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X