No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With so many assets available to deal (Davis/Amir, JJ, 2 2nd round picks, 2013 1st round pick), I would really like to see the Raps come away with a wing (MKG/Beal/Barnes) and a PG (Marshall is my first choice or Lillard/Teague). Even with 3 rookies, I still think the Raps can "hit the ground running" next season with a much improved team. If a free agent is added via trade/signing, it's conceivable that Valanciunas is the only rookie in the starting lineup, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

Comment

• I agree, and it's not like you'd necessarily be starting all 3.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Next years draft looks better than this years...
        Not even remotely
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          Not even remotely
          Besides Davis there is no sure fire Franchise player. Next years players have a lot of potential i think

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            Besides Davis there is no sure fire Franchise player. Next years players have a lot of potential i think
            Every draft has potential.

One thing I find interesting is fans who are pushing for one player or another rarely consider most draft picks, overall, rarely meet their 'potential' or 'upside'. Last year this board was full of people dying of Jimmer fever. How did that work out so far? What about Derrick Williams? Lots of love for him. Kanter (who I was pushing)? Alright but nothing amazing (although not much opportunity). Kemba and Knight? Decent but nothing spectacular and both have been given huge minutes and opportunities on their bottom feeding teams.

The reality is most draft picks are not going to work out - forget franchise talent. Looking at this draft, look at the talk surrounding this draft 6 months ago. Everyone thought there were 8-10 franchise players. Now? Not so much.

Looking forward, one need just look at Josiah Turner and Myck Kabongo. Both were 'sure-fire' one and dones and Kabongo is back to Texas and Turner is leaving Arizona (not to the draft though). My point is a lot is going to change in a little over 2 months to this year's draft. Imagine how much will change with regards to the 2013 draft. BTW, Noel, Shabazz, Cody Zeller, Kabongo, Quincy Miller, McAdoo are all prospective 2013 draft picks - not too shabby based on potential as was said - but how many will amount to anything in the NBA?

Comment

• I don't put a lot of stock in anything Bill Ingram says but this interesting:

Hi Bill, If the Raptors, gets to pick 5th or 6th picks w/c players do you think is the best fit considering they need a SF. Is it MKG, Lamb of Uconn, or Harrison Barnes(w/c I think is very overrated and under acheiver) Do you think Royce white could be a sleeper?

Bill Ingram

I go Harrison Barnes, no question. I’ve spoken to a number of the UNC guys about Barnes, and written about him a couple of times in the NBA@2 over the course of this season. The general feeling about Barnes is that he’s a solid talent, but not a leader – certainly not a vocal leader. That makes him great for the Raptors, who have great leadership in their head coach and some good veterans on the team. Barnes would be able to step in and play his game without the weight of the world on his shoulders. Seems like the perfect fit, not only for the Raptors, but also for Barnes.
              http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...l-ingram-42312

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                With so many assets available to deal (Davis/Amir, JJ, 2 2nd round picks, 2013 1st round pick), I would really like to see the Raps come away with a wing (MKG/Beal/Barnes) and a PG (Marshall is my first choice or Lillard/Teague). Even with 3 rookies, I still think the Raps can "hit the ground running" next season with a much improved team. If a free agent is added via trade/signing, it's conceivable that Valanciunas is the only rookie in the starting lineup, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch.
                I totally agree. I realize that Colangelo has a small window to turn things around with his contract being up soon, but to put all your assets into improving the team for the 2012/2013 season is a mistake. Imo he should acquire as much talent as you can in the hopes that one or two might break out and become something spectacular. I don't care who you plug into the starting 5 whether it be Beal, MKG, Barnes etc...this team has too many holes and too few outstanding players to consider that starting 5 a team that could contend for a conference championship much less a NBA championship. Just look at the starting 5 of Chicago, Miami, OKC, both L.A. teams.... There is no way of competing with teams like that in a 7 game series unless we get some bonafides stars. Since Toronto has issues with finding true stars in free agency I would think that drafting it is our first and best option.

I know we'll be a much better team next season and for the most part fans will be happy with a winning season, but if we can't contend then is any of the tanking/ rebuilding seasons worth it? I'm going to be closely following Indiana in the playoffs as we are following in their foot steps. They've enjoyed a good year, but do they have the talent to go further than the second round?

Comment

• If BC was looking for another pick, $3M might interest ATL or even DAL. Dallas gets their pick if they finish 20th or below. The only reason why I quote Ingram here is because he said he specifically spoke with Cuban:

Bill Wallace

What will the Mavs be looking at with there 1st round pick this year and which players will be a good fit. They can desperately use an upgrade at shooting guard and Rivers, Lamb and Beal will all be gone by than.

Bill Ingram

The Mavs are more likely to trade the pick then use it. I spoke to Mark recently about the draft and he admitted he hasn’t even looked at the field.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...l-ingram-42312

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Every draft has potential.

One thing I find interesting is fans who are pushing for one player or another rarely consider most draft picks, overall, rarely meet their 'potential' or 'upside'. Last year this board was full of people dying of Jimmer fever. How did that work out so far? What about Derrick Williams? Lots of love for him. Kanter (who I was pushing)? Alright but nothing amazing (although not much opportunity). Kemba and Knight? Decent but nothing spectacular and both have been given huge minutes and opportunities on their bottom feeding teams.

The reality is most draft picks are not going to work out - forget franchise talent. Looking at this draft, look at the talk surrounding this draft 6 months ago. Everyone thought there were 8-10 franchise players. Now? Not so much.

Looking forward, one need just look at Josiah Turner and Myck Kabongo. Both were 'sure-fire' one and dones and Kabongo is back to Texas and Turner is leaving Arizona (not to the draft though). My point is a lot is going to change in a little over 2 months to this year's draft. Imagine how much will change with regards to the 2013 draft. BTW, Noel, Shabazz, Cody Zeller, Kabongo, Quincy Miller, McAdoo are all prospective 2013 draft picks - not too shabby based on potential as was said - but how many will amount to anything in the NBA?
                    I think it is a by-product of the Internet, YouTube and Twitter, in that there is so much analysis and over-analysis done by experts and fans, that practically every draft pick becomes overhyped to the point that it is nearly impossible for them to reach their bloated 'potential' or 'ceiling'.

That's why I fear even Davis will wind up disappointing some people, because the hype machine has been on overdrive with him for months. He is a young kid playing a new position on a loaded team. No other team matched up against Kentucky and his teammates were all average/above average man defenders, leaving him free to roam in the paint to try and contest shots with his help defense. His offense is a huge work in progress and I fear that given his slender frame, he could become a Camby/Chandler type player - good player, great teammate, but possibly below expectations placed on a 1st overall pick with as much hype as he has surrounding him.

I think we as fans need to temper expectations of draft picks, even in the NBA, since not every 1st overall selection is going to have the impact of LeBron, Rose or even Griffin.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 23, 2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Agreed on Davis. He's got a ton of talent, no doubt. But he's still a work-in-progress. He may not be dominating out of the gates. He still has holes in his game.

Comment

• I personally feel like were already young enough. If this team stayed healthy it would of been in the playoff IMO. You have to think of Bargnani his not getting any younger. His in his prime I think we need to start milky that. It's time to start winning. Two rookies would be enough.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• We've gone from picking Beal to Lillard in Chad Fords lottery mock draft. Great.

Comment

• 2 rookies and goran dragic. Then we make a run for the playoffs and hopefully the Atlantic Division, Fuck the knicks.

Comment

• Quincy Miller changed his mind, declaring for draft.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                Quincy Miller changed his mind, declaring for draft.
                                Very interesting. Is he projected to go 1st round?

Comment

Working...
                                X