2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure if his recent drop has much to do with the ACL. Scouts have been aware the injury for a full season, so it doesn't make sense why his stock would suddenly drop now (unless it's negatively affecting his performance in workouts).
    I beleive he had a poor performance at the combines. Didn't shoot the ball well and didn't show well in the drills. Would have done himself a favour if he stayed back another year.

Comment

• i saw miller play last year 3 or 4 times and a couple of the times he looked fantastic but the other times he was just invisible. i think it'd actually be good for his career to get picked up at the end of the first and come along slow. ACL injuries can take a long time to really heal, if they heal completely at all. he's definitely a project at this point.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• SLAM Mock Draft: Raptors Select Lillard

With the eighth pick in the 2012 SLAMonline Mock Draft, the Toronto Raptors select…

Damian Lillard from Weber State.

First featured on SLAMonline in February, the Weber State PG finished his redshirt junior campaign second in the NCAA in scoring at 24.5 ppg. He’s an extremely efficient shooter, who connected on 41 percent of his attempts from the beyond the arc.

He’s also a terrific rebounder (5 rpg) for his size and takes care of the ball well—ranking first among point guard prospects in turnovers per possession. Lillard is extremely explosive (40-inch vertical) and drives well in either direction, which helped him get to the free-throw line (where he knocked down the second most FTs in NCAA at a 90 percent clip).

The two-time Big Sky POY says he hears the question often: “Do you think you’re a 2-guard?”

His answer: “No,” adding that he wants to run an offense—not “just to push the ball up the floor, but run NBA sets.”

But Lillard’s work ethic is possibly his the most impressive quality. It’s hard to get him out of the gym and was incredible shape at the Pre-Draft Combine.

“I’m from Oakland. Gary Payton was that kind of person, really competitive,” the 6-2, 190-pound Lillard said. “Jason Kidd, Brian Shaw. I feel I have to bring that same thing to the table as an Oakland point guard. I wand to compete and I feel I still have to prove myself playing against higher lever guys and I’m happy to have the opportunity.”

Lillard may not be a Gary Payton or Jason Kidd, but some see an athletic Chauncey Billups as a best-case NBA comparison.

The Raptors are looking for a PG of the future. It’s clear that player is neither Calderon nor Jerryd Bayless (he missed over half the season due to injury and failed to prove much when healthy). Lillard could down hold the starting position for the next decade.

Regardless of how his potential plays out, Lillard’s excited about the possibility of becoming Toronto’s only first-round PG selection since Mighty Mouse, tweeting, “Heard toronto is a nice place. We shall see!”
        http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...-8-mock-draft/

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
          JV reminds me of a hybrid of Bynum and Duncan, not sure if everyone agrees with me, but he just reminds me as that. (sharp elbows when he's posting, hands always high, a bit grounded, etc)

Leonard has the better shot I believe, but JV has the instincts. Also, JV likes contact more than Leonard. My two cents lol
          Hmmm...there is I believe one major between JV and the two....running up and down the floor...JV hands down...speed and gait. Duncan is/was much more polished offensively...its going to be a couple of years plus at least to have a better idea of the improvement curve if JV can reach/come close to those standards. Bynum is just an overpowering force inside (JV doesnt have that kind of strength/weight). JV I believe is more athletic than the other two though Duncan was great posting up, rebounding and shot blocking and very high basketball IQ. My 2cents!! I'd be happy if JV came within 75% of what Duncan could do.

Comment

• The Blazers are competition.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              The Blazers are competition.
              Agreed. I think that if Portland doesn't draft Lillard, he will be available @ #8.

New Orleans - need a PG, but will draft Davis #1
              Charlotte - Kemba Walker, DJ Augustin
              Washington - John Wall
              Cleveland - Kyrie Irving
              Sacramento - Tyreke Evans, Isaiah Thomas, Jimmer Fredette
              Portland - ???
              Golden State - Stephen Curry
              Toronto -
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 12, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Agreed. I think that if Portland doesn't draft Lillard, he will be available @ #8.

New Orleans - need a PG, but will draft Davis #1
                Charlotte - Kemba Walker, DJ Augustin
                Washington - John Wall
                Cleveland - Kyrie Irving
                Sacramento - Tyreke Evans, Isaiah Thomas, Jimmer Fredette
                Portland - ???
                Golden State - Stephen Curry
                Toronto -
                If Drummond falls, I think Portland takes him over Lillard. Portland needs a big just as bad as a PG, and bigs are harder to get, IMO.

Comment

• There is a good chance that Drummond may not get past Sacramento. It sounds like they are very high on him playing along side DeMarcus Cousins. They will have ridiculous size in their front court should they pair the two of them together.

Comment

• Here's hoping that one of the top 7 takes a liking to Sullinger. If he is drafted in the top 7, that opens up options for the Raptors. Unfortunately, I think he is going to drop and a good PG or wing will be drafted in the top 7.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      If Drummond falls, I think Portland takes him over Lillard. Portland needs a big just as bad as a PG, and bigs are harder to get, IMO.
                      True. I think (and voted) for Drummond to go @ #5 to Sacramento, to form a fearsome front court with Cousins. I could very easily see the draft unfolding exactly as RR has predicted thus far (Davis, MKG, Robinson, Barnes, Drummond), with Lillard going @ #6 to Portland. However, I could also see Beal getting picked by any team at #2 onward, which would turn our draft order completely on its head, with all bets after #1 out the window!

Comment

• Barnes having a incredible combine, apparently.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• That can't be because Barnes = BARF

Comment

• Barnes has a 38" standing vertical

That's insane, man. Higher than most people with a running start.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                              Barnes has a 38" standing vertical

That's insane, man. Higher than most people with a running start.
                              Yeah, that's pretty freakin' ridiculous. I would never have guessed he has that kind of springs from watching him play last season.

Comment

• Surprising. Another finesse player who doesn't like contact inside?

Comment

Working...
                                X