No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think both Barnes and MKG will be gone by the #5 pick, but if they were - I would look at Austin Rivers and Bradley Beal.
    -I don't have the link handy, but BC made some comments over the last few weeks that maybe DD is better suited to the SF. I don't necessarily agree - but either way, we made need some more depth at guard (and scoring).
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      I don't think both Barnes and MKG will be gone by the #5 pick, but if they were - I would look at Austin Rivers and Bradley Beal.
      -I don't have the link handy, but BC made some comments over the last few weeks that maybe DD is better suited to the SF. I don't necessarily agree - but either way, we made need some more depth at guard (and scoring).
      That was in the Bob McCown interview, I believe.

Comment

• I'd keep JJ at the 3/sign someone and move DeMar to the bench if we drafted a SG.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
          Draft Sullinger and package him for Batum.
          Seriously??
          5 would be a tough spot but I'm all for trading up or down, especially since there are guys at the 10-15 range that aren't that far off (talent-wise) from the guys projected at 5-10. guys like Q Miller, Lamb, Bradley Beal (who looks like he could be a great NBA SG). and the raptors could bring in a solid vet if they were to trade down

Comment

• I've been high on PJ3 and Barnes since last year. They are both NBA ready IMO and offer great size, length and speed. Of course they are two very different players, Barnes being a true 3 with the ability to score and Jones being more of a cleanup guy.

The thing I don't like, and I know this is terribly un-vogue in todays "Outside the Box" NBA, are guys without clear cut positions. Scoring points who are really undersized 2's, 3's who are really undersized 4's, 4's who are really a 3 or a 5, a 5 who is just a 4 without any skills outside of the low post... you get my point. The Raps already have too many of these guys pretending to be what they aren't and the results are never great. That being said, I think of PJ3 as the next Beasley/ARandolph type who will never be physical enough to bang with 4's and a half step too slow to be able to D up the 3.

Thing with this draft is I think there's a lot of fools gold out there (ahem, Jeremy Lamb, ahem) and all the hype about it being as deep as the ocean or less risky than any other draft is bull. It looks deep in quality rotation players but light on elite next level talent. Even Davis, to me after watching a bunch of his games, looks like the next Meka, especially considering the size/talent he's going up against.
            Last edited by minks77; Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:50 PM.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
              thats exactly it. MKG or Barnes would be great for the raps. But I don't see us falling into the bottom 4 of the lottery this year unless we get lucky with ping pong balls.

BCs history seems to be take the best available talent at the draft, work around clogged positions later. Beal or Miller seem like one of the best choices for the raps given a bad draft position but I can't help thinking that BC would draft PJ3 if he became available. I think you have to take into consideration that PJ3 would not want to play in Toronto, we dont need someone who wants to skip town from day 1. So realistically if MKG Barnes are off the board, I'd hope for BC to grab Robinson or Sullinger given his bpa strategy and trade one of our bigs for some other talent.
              What exactly was said by PJ3 which would indicate he doesn't want to play in Toronto? This is the second time I've heard someone mention it.

Comment

• Jeremy Lamb is going to excel in the NBA. The only weakness in his game would be strength, which Lamb being just 19 could improve on through weight training. He scores off the dribble and from long range and is a lock down defender with that freakish wingspan. UConn has struggled lately, but Lamb's production has not declined. No fools gold here. Chad Ford has him at number nine.

Here is a close up view of JL's skills in action last summer:

Comment

• minks77 wrote: View Post
                  I've been high on PJ3 and Barnes since last year. They are both NBA ready IMO and offer great size, length and speed. Of course they are two very different players, Barnes being a true 3 with the ability to score and Jones being more of a cleanup guy.

The thing I don't like, and I know this is terribly un-vogue in todays "Outside the Box" NBA, are guys without clear cut positions. Scoring points who are really undersized 2's, 3's who are really undersized 4's, 4's who are really a 3 or a 5, a 5 who is just a 4 without any skills outside of the low post... you get my point. The Raps already have too many of these guys pretending to be what they aren't and the results are never great. That being said, I think of PJ3 as the next Beasley/ARandolph type who will never be physical enough to bang with 4's and a half step too slow to be able to D up the 3.

Thing with this draft is I think there's a lot of fools gold out there (ahem, Jeremy Lamb, ahem) and all the hype about it being as deep as the ocean or less risky than any other draft is bull. It looks deep in quality rotation players but light on elite next level talent. Even Davis, to me after watching a bunch of his games, looks like the next Meka, especially considering the size/talent he's going up against.
                  PJ3 is no clean up guy imo. He's has a very complete package including perimeter and post moves. Thomas Robinson is what I would describe as a clean up guy as he gets the bulk of his points off alley oops and put backs etc. PJ3 can score from about anywhere on the floor.

Comment

• Granted I haven't watched a lot of PJ but 27% 3pt shooting in college is not a good indicator of NBA range.

As for Lamb, I've watched this kid a ton and I don't see "Star" written anywhere in his game. I see a guy who looks for his own shot, disappears for plays at a time and is corey brewer skinny. Could he bulk up? sure but at what cost? I think he's going to be a defensively challenged jump shooter in the L, 15-18ppg but thinks he's the next Tmac. He'll be fine but maybe the guy you look back on and say "we coulda had... instead"
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• oh, and he is by no means a lock down defender. His length and quickness get him steals and the odd block and are great tools but he loafs and losses focus on D and you can see him coasting, playing flat and on his heels. I think I watched every game of that tourney and it's a good reason to ignore highlight tapes.

My problem is I think he's classic AAU stereotype: Scorer, used to getting things easily, lazy and fundamentally challenged due to over reliance on physical ability that will be neutralized in the pros.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• minks77 wrote: View Post
                        Granted I haven't watched a lot of PJ but 27% 3pt shooting in college is not a good indicator of NBA range.

As for Lamb, I've watched this kid a ton and I don't see "Star" written anywhere in his game. I see a guy who looks for his own shot, disappears for plays at a time and is corey brewer skinny. Could he bulk up? sure but at what cost? I think he's going to be a defensively challenged jump shooter in the L, 15-18ppg but thinks he's the next Tmac. He'll be fine but maybe the guy you look back on and say "we coulda had... instead"
                        You sure you've watched Lamb play?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I really like Sullinger at the fifth pick. I think he is one of those guys that was hyped so much last year that people are kind of looking past him a bit but he is easily the most developed big in this draft. As deep as we are at the four, guys like Sullinger are hard to find, he has franchise potential and I'd take him ahead of anyone other than Drummand or Davis. This draft is loaded with 4's and I think the order would go something like this if it wasn't for the abundance of talent:

Davis
                          Drummand
                          Sullinger
                          Barnes
                          Robinson
                          Lamb
                          MKG
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• Em kay gee

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                              Jeremy Lamb is going to excel in the NBA. The only weakness in his game would be strength, which Lamb being just 19 could improve on through weight training. He scores off the dribble and from long range and is a lock down defender with that freakish wingspan. UConn has struggled lately, but Lamb's production has not declined. No fools gold here. Chad Ford has him at number nine.

Here is a close up view of JL's skills in action last summer:

I'd like to get that guy whose back we're looking at: Dario Saric; biggest prospect in Europe. But I assume he'll be in the 2013 draft (even though I don't see him in the draftexpress mockdraft). He has the potential to be a top 5 player in the nba (ah, potential, gotta love it).

Comment

• Yup
                                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X