No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most recent of the "big board" on ESPN.

CHAD FORD'S BIG BOARD
    Rk Name Pos. From Stock
    1 Anthony Davis PF Kentucky
    Crazy length+ motor = No. 1 pick. More »
    2 Andre Drummond C Connecticut
    Amare Stoudemire 2.0 More »
    3 Harrison Barnes SF North Carolina
    The total package at the SF position More »
    4 Thomas Robinson PF Kansas
    Robinson announced that he's returning ... More »
    5 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF Kentucky
    Jan 31 Update: A quick look around the ... More »
    6 Perry Jones PF Baylor
    Scary upside, but no motor? More »
    7 Jared Sullinger PF Ohio State
    Best low post scorer in the NCAA More »
    8 Bradley Beal SG Florida
    Ray Allen meets Eric Gordon More »
    9 Jeremy Lamb SG Connecticut
    Nov 15 Update: UConn sophomore Jeremy ... More »
    10 Cody Zeller C Indiana
    Averaged 24.6 ppg, 13.1 rpg and 3. ... More »
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• MKG if we're sitting at the four. No doubt about it. No more big men, our current roster has 6 big men. MKG is only hell of a player, I believe he's NBA ready and can really do alot in Dwane Casey's system.

James Johnson has been a very good player recently, but the way he plays creates more of a spark-plug type player, & Kleiza is a guy we've seen come off the bench and have tremendous games, start the game and be completely gone.

Demar is playing well recently as well, I just wish is consistency would be as good as last year.

Also we need a point guard, Calderon is a very good player, but how many years does he really have left with us, try and get an extra pick for a point guard. (Kabongo, Teague.)

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        You sure you've watched Lamb play?
        i have and he's nothin special he's just overly hyped. I can't see him becoming a star either, he reminds me of Nick young who i really hate.

Comment

• From HoopsWorld.com:

Is Harrison Barnes Overrated?

Predicting human performance is the single most difficult part of the business behind professional sports. It’s why players like Hasheem Thabeet get taken as a second-overall pick in the NBA draft, and it’s also why a player like Tony Parker falls to the bottom of the first round. Predicting human behavior is simply not an exact science.

The thing about science, though, is that it’s always evolving. Methods get better, more accurate. As depicted in the movie “Moneyball,” the science if predicting human performance is no different.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at University of North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes. Once believed to be a top overall NBA draft pick, Barnes has since dropped a couple of notches in the ranks over at Draft Express, the foremost authority on all things NBA draft. They have him currently ranked third overall, so let’s take a look at some of the reasons why he might be worth a pick that high.

Barnes gets 80% of his offense in half court sets, where he has scored 189 points in 208 possessions. That’s good enough to rank him in the 69th percentile, so he’s well above average as scouts rank him “very good.” He’s even better in transition, scoring 64 points on 51 possessions to rank in the 76th percentile. He’s scored the vast majority (93%) of his points this season against man-to-man defense, and he ranks in the 67th percentile overall in those situations. He’s only had 14 possessions against the zone, so the sample size is small. Still, he’s scored 16 points on those 14 possessions, good for an 82nd percentile ranking.

Compare those numbers to Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, currently projected to be the top overall pick in next summer’s draft, and you can see why he’s no longer the top pick. Davis ranks in the 90% percentile or better across the board offensively for a ranking of “excellent.”

A quick look at projected second overall pick Andre Drummond (UCONN) reveals that while Drummond is a significant step below Davis, he is also a step above Barnes. Drummond gets 89% of his offense in the half court, where he is ranked in the 79% percentile. He’s also in the 89th percentile in transition, where he gets 11% of his offense.

Barnes may be a step below those two players, but he is not completely outclassed.

On the defensive end Barnes is still somewhat of a work in progress. He is best when defending spot-up shooters, where he ranks in the 71st percentile, and he’s not bad when defending the ball handler in a pick-and-roll (64th percentile). He’s average in isolation situations (49th percentile) and below average in hand-offs (15th percentile).

What that means is that the team that drafts Barnes will need to understand that he’s not going to be a defensive stopper, and they’ll need to surround him with some good defenders to make up for that weakness. On the offensive end, however, Barnes could very well be an impact player in the NBA, which makes him very worthy of the third overall pick.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba2-rapto...e-from-derozan

Just one person's interpretation of the numbers and stats. I usually despise anything coming from Ingram but, on this, I'm in agreement.

Comment

• I think Barnes can improve on defence. If everyone thinks MKG can develop on the offensive side of the ball, then I think Barnes should be able to do the same. We do have a defensive Guru here. He also still has the ability to improve his offensive game. he could learn how to slash and create his own shot. He's young and still has time to grow. I think when everyone talks about the other guys we look at what they could be, but when it comes to Barnes, we just think that's all he is going to be.

I think out of those three guys he is the closest to being a finished product. We need scoring in our starting line up and I think he brings that. The biggest fear for me is that MKG doesn't develop a great offensive game. Miller is a bit of an injury concern. I think you go with more of a sure thing with Barnes.
            Last edited by saints91; Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              i have and he's nothin special he's just overly hyped. I can't see him becoming a star either, he reminds me of Nick young who i really hate.
              Just cause they look alike? :P Lamb is much better than you believe though.

Comment

• If miller fully recovers watch out. He has that elite athleticism and explosiveness

Comment

If miller fully recovers watch out. He has that elite athleticism and explosiveness
                  He doesn't have elite athleticism. His a smoove athelete, his length(has a 7-2 winspan)lot to do with it. He is extremely quick though for 6'9.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Did Quincy Miller get hurt tonight? I did not watch the game against Texas but I saw the box score. No points, one rebound, two turnovers.

Comment

nick young can play, but god his face pisses me off too.

Comment

• Wow, looks like the kid laid an egg tonight (last night) v. Texas. Actually, both him and PJ3 were quite unimpressive.

Comment

• Damian Lillard Rising, PJ III Falling!

Stock Check

We've profiled Weber State guard Damian Lillard already twice this season. Once as a sleeper and again when looking at the top point guard prospects in the country. Lillard has been a little hard to get a read on because, frankly, a lot of the top decision makers just didn't know much about him.

Over the course of the last month, that's changed. A number of NBA GMs and head scouts have now either seen Lillard in person or have done extensive scouting work on Synergy. The result?

The GMs and scouts I spoke with were virtually unanimous that Lillard is a potential lottery pick in this year's draft. Teams always have loved Lillard's scoring ability. It's been the other areas of his game that have given them pause.

Lillard has improved in virtually every aspect of his game. He's now a much more consistent threat from behind the arc (he's shooting 45 percent from 3 this season). His turnovers have decreased despite his high usage rate, and he's proven to be a capable floor general when he isn't carrying the team's scoring load.

He's second to Kentucky's Anthony Davis in PER and is the second leading scorer in college basketball.

In a draft devoid of elite point guard prospects, more and more teams are talking themselves into Lillard. His closest competition is Washington's Tony Wroten Jr. But Lillard's steadiness, maturity and his jump shot make him a better bet right now. We've had Lillard in the mid- to late-first round most of the year, but after an extensive round of calls this week, we're putting him in the lottery for the first time.

With a great tournament run and great workouts, it's not out of the question that he could work himself even a bit higher. Several potential lottery teams including the Suns, Hornets and Jazz will be in the market for a point guard this year. All three teams like him. It's hard to see him slipping by all three --especially when you consider that both the Hornets and Jazz have multiple first-round picks.

Uh-Oh

• Everyone loves Perry Jones III's talent. But his game? More and more scouts are beginning to get off the bandwagon of Jones as a Top 5 talent in this draft. Jones came into the season with huge expectations. Virtually everyone thought that if he stayed another year in school, he'd finally be able to utilize the incredible tools he has to dominate the game. After a very good start to the season, he's fizzled.

In key losses to top teams like Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State the past two weeks, Jones was a combined 5-for-26 from the field and pulled down just 14 rebounds. Even more shocking is the fact that despite Jones' incredible length and athleticism, he hasn't had a blocked shot in eight games.

His inability to find a real position for himself at the college level, combined with a motor that rarely revs up, has more and more scouts convinced that Jones, while gifted, is more athlete than basketball player. While I have no doubt he'd go somewhere in the lottery if the draft were held to today, he's slipping and if he doesn't get his act together quickly, the slide will continue.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/7597450/nba-draft-weber-states-damian-lillard-working-way-lottery
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• The latest edition of the draftexpress mock draft has Barnes falling #6 to Raptors. If that happens, I would.. I would... words can't express how happy I'd be.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              The latest edition of the draftexpress mock draft has Barnes falling #6 to Raptors. If that happens, I would.. I would... words can't express how happy I'd be.
                              How is that possible if were at the 4 spot
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ESPN acknowledging we get jobbed at the draft
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X