Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think raptor fans are racists. I don't think basketball attracts those types, but that is my opinion.

I do think that there was a lot of racism directed at Sam Mitchell and TJ Ford by euro fans who joined our ranks and wanted to push their agenda. I think to a degree, there is a lot of mistrust of euro prospects due to the crap we had to put up with in one of our strongest seasons.

Toronto is one of the most culturally integrated places on earth. The reactions that are coming out are just a delayed response to having our chain yanked by an influx of fans that did not understand basketball and only knew how to be fan boys of certain players.

Racism, is pushing a COY out of town who made the playoffs with reworked rosters every year he was expected to. Booing a player that does not give effort is not racism. Wondering if your chain is being yanked once again, is not racism. There is good reason to be weary, our team has suffered tremendously by an uneven agenda pushed by the vocal few, who often could not care about Bosh or the Toronto Raptors other than for their country men.

I understand why there are euroleague skeptics. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism. I don't think our fans woke up one day hating Europe, they just hate the European Basketball Agenda and have little trust of those that are guided by it exclusively. All the power to them. We need balance.

That said, you should of seen the smile on my face when we drafted JV, I was already smiling when Tristan got picked because I knew we just got promoted to pick one pick above of where I expected to be.

EDIT: BTW, if you want to see racism first hand, go to Europe, you will be shocked as to what is acceptable.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I think people just have a hard time becoming fans of european draft picks because of how little we actually know about them. I think europeans ARE more likely to be busts, but I say that because of how GM's get to interact with them. Here in the NCAA most of our draft picks get solid minutes in a semi-professional basketball court, where as Jonas (as an example) got 14 mins and played 7 real games in his league. I think there are a lot of differences to look at between euros and americans that is beyond race and more an issue of basketball environment and publicity
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

haters are just bigger attention whores.

more people like the pick.. or are at least content with it

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          I think europeans ARE more likely to be busts, but I say that because of how GM's get to interact with them.
          The stats don't seem to back you up on this. At some point, someone is going to have the time to do a conclusive study, but looking through the drafts, it seems that the percentages of International busts to American are pretty even.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think people just have a hard time becoming fans of european draft picks because of how little we actually know about them. I think europeans ARE more likely to be busts, but I say that because of how GM's get to interact with them. Here in the NCAA most of our draft picks get solid minutes in a semi-professional basketball court, where as Jonas (as an example) got 14 mins and played 7 real games in his league. I think there are a lot of differences to look at between euros and americans that is beyond race and more an issue of basketball environment and publicity
            Please understand something. Europeans are not more likely to be bust. If they're bust it's because the scouting process fail at some point. It's easy to scout a player in the NCAA knowing the stats, the level of competition and watching all the games. In the case of the European is more difficult and not all the teams have the same scouting level overseas.
            For example, Minnesota, San Antonio and Houston are great teams in terms of overseas scouting, you'll rarelly watch them making a bad decision. And Bryan Colangelo and his team have a great interest in european basketball, so he won't be wrong.

In the other hand, you have a teams like Denver with almost no history of international scouting that draft thisklivisi (or whatever it's spelled) a few years ago, Clippers with Korolev, Magic with Vazques or the Bobcats with Ajinca and now Biyombo (trust me, this guy is not a NBA player right now, he was even a rotation player in a mediocre ACB team).

You should be afraid of a european signing if the team has no history of having a good international scouting, you shouldn't be worried with a GM like BC

Comment

I also think there is some un-proportionate elevation of certain players that never where able to play full seasons. Cough, cough, Garbajosa. The NBA is a hard league, its not for everyone. Many will get injured trying to meet its demands. I could probably play 15 games too before someone twists my ankle.

So a lot of fans, take the praise in perspective and adjust it. Personally I was never a garbo fan. He did not honour his contract and played for foolish pride while he was injured.

So sorry if, I take time to vomit, when I hear him placed on a pedestal.

So I feel sympathetic for the part of our fanbase, that just does not want to hear the BS anymore, or tunes it out completely due to what has happened in the past.
              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Everything I would like to say you said.

Comment

Working...
                X