Do we really need an elite point guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need elite talent SOMEWHERE.

Does it *have* to be at PG? No. But if you do not have elite talent anywhere else, you can't afford to carry a point guard who is a liability half the time.

You can't build towards the idea of Detroit because they were an extreme outlier.

There's a reason Jason Kidd an Allen Iverson dragged sub-standard teams to the NBA Finals. Having a superior talent as your primary ball-handler (whether they play PG or not) makes scoring that much easier for your entire team.

Do I like PG is the Raptors only problem? Far from it. They have many. I just felt like they had a good shot to address this particular issue with a guy like Kemba Walker who can play capable NBA starter basketball at both ends of the floor. Maybe Bayless can be that player, I don't know. He's already been around the league (literally, via trades) for several seasons. But he has talent.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

ya i heard that too on t and s. idont think you need anelite pg if you have other elite players who can handle the ball well and are good dribblers.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

A 50 year old Jason Kidd and Mario Chalmers were the PG's of the finals.

So no, you don't need a elite PG.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

That said, it doesn't hurt.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tank wrote: View Post
            I was listening to the Tim and Sid: Uncut podcast the other day, and they talked about how only 2 of the last 21 NBA Champions had a great point guard (Parker on the Spurs, Billups on the Pistons), all this in what's called a "point-guard driven league". Something that all those NBA Championship teams had in common? A loaded front court.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is if we don't draft a point guard in 2012, it isn't the end of the world. Another reason why to endorse the drafting of Valanciunas--beefing up the front court.
            Magic Johnson doesn't make the list I guess because it was so long ago. LeBron is a lot like Magic. If the Heat could convince him to move into such a role they would be unstoppable.

Comment

Detroit

Tortacular wrote: View Post

You can't build towards the idea of Detroit because they were an extreme outlier.
              I don't think Detroit was as extreme an outlier as everyone might think. In reading this thread it kind of clicked in my brain, that elite point guard or not, as someone else mentioned, its all about protecting the rim. Even the two "elite point guards" who won, Billups and Parker, had either the two Wallaces or The Greatest Power Forward of All Time protecting the rim.

Even if the teams have weak point guards, when they inevitably get beat, there have always been guys like Duncan, Garnett, Gasol, Bynum, Shaq, and Hakeem there to foil any drives.

It's ironic to me that in a league that is quite publicly being filled with star and superstar young point guards, they haven't (yet) won anything, and the teams protecting the rim foil them every time the playoffs come.

On the complete opposite side of the coin, Bloodyhandedgod is right. They are sure fun to watch.

Comment

Positions don't matter. You need a team of talented players who play as a team.

Comment

Great teams need a PG that can guard their man and execute the offense. Nothing worse then a PG that over dribbles. Guards need to be able to play D and play off the ball. The flashy guards are often not the most effective. So I would say that to be a great team you need a solid point guard - not a great one - as well as multiple players on the team that can handle and create.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Magic Johnson doesn't make the list I guess because it was so long ago. LeBron is a lot like Magic. If the Heat could convince him to move into such a role they would be unstoppable.
                    I would say that is what I hoped for him coming into the league, but Magic made his entire team better. Lebron - debateable at best.

Comment

Come on now, that Cavs team he brought to the finals was weak. He rallied the troops and dragged them there. I don't like what the guy represents but I have to respect his game, he's earned it.

Comment

he's magic without the killer instinct. he doesn't really want to be the best otherwise the douchelord would have learned some post moves and a fadeaway. he just wants to be liked and play with his boys. make some money. wear a headband.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Thomas A. wrote: View Post
                          Toronto fans always get hung up on one position or another. In the end, all that matters is talent and fit. If you have talented players that play well together you will win, if not you won't.
                          Maple Laughs, Craptors, Toronto Fail Club, Argo-nots, and the Lame-Jays all have something in common which is losing. Don't get me wrong, I love all the Toronto Sports teams (despite my sarcasam). But all our teams face the same similar problems which is losing. Every franchise is missing that 'piece.' Until any of the teams are competing in the post season the argument to any one of the clubs will be "we need a better ____." The statement is valid because none of these teams are making post season.

Comment

you need a decent point guard. calderon level is fine
                            ya dun noe

Comment

You can't be a pylon defensively
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Can I just say, since I missed reading it earlier, that Tom Liston's reasoning behind not needing better point guards based on low PER of Derek Fisher and Steve Blake is absolute garbage?

The Lakers ran a triangle offense, which doesn't require an all-star point guard. It never has. All you need is a point guard who can defend and shoot 3s. That's it. Guess what, no one has effectively run the triangle offense other than Phil Jackson, and we're not about to try.

Look at Derek Fisher, Ron Harper, John Paxson, BJ Armstrong. 11 Championships won by these guys. Never has any triangle offense required an all-star point.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X