3rd PG options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd PG options

As we've seen last year with all the injuries the Raptors suffered, a 3rd PG on an NBA team is pretty important. We presently have Calderon and Bayless. This ain't a bad point guards duo, plus we have Barbosa who can play some minutes at the point. After those three, no one on the roster can play the number one spot. Who would you like to see as the 3rd point guard of the team? They could fine some good ones on the market.

Calderon, Bayless and occasionaly Barbosa
    Isnt that three? Or am I miscounting?

I know Barbosa is really a 2. However, for the limited (if any) minutes we need a 3rd pg for, he could certianly play the 1. I am fairly satisfied with that.

The only reason I could see us getting a 3rd string pg is if it was grooming him to be our future back-up pg. This would probably need to be an undrafted rookie.

Comment

Honestly, whats the use of a 3rd point guard unless its there to warm the bench up? If one of Calderon or Bayless gets injured, Barbosa can easily handle the duty of back-up.

Comment

Maybe they could try James Johnson at the point again. He can't be any worse at it than he was last year.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Barbosa makes 3. His best position is at the backup point anyway, as a microwave off the bench. Put some shooters around him, let him go to work. If he's off, you put him out there with James Johnson and let him makes plays from the weak side.

Comment

I don't think the Raps need a 3rd PG either. If injuries do become a problem... they can simply sign a guy to a 10 day contract (ex. Jarret Jack... err I mean Gaines).

Comment

I'd be all for trying to get Demetri McCamey or Jacob Pullen.

Both were undrafted PG's who just finished their senior seasons in the NCAA.

Give them Alabi-like contracts (3 year, non-guaranteed, league minimum) so if they become something - great. If not, no big loss.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I'd be all for trying to get Demetri McCamey or Jacob Pullen.

Both were undrafted PG's who just finished their senior seasons in the NCAA.

Give them Alabi-like contracts (3 year, non-guaranteed, league minimum) so if they become something - great. If not, no big loss.
                I would add Julyan Stone to that list. That said I think we need to overload with wings that can defend or shoot the 3-ball.

Comment

Trade for Malcolm Lee. He's athletic and can really defend. Can play some 2 guard as well.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                    I don't think the Raps need a 3rd PG either. If injuries do become a problem... they can simply sign a guy to a 10 day contract (ex. Jarret Jack... err I mean Gaines).
                    Don't you think the team their 3 pg for all the season so he can grow with the team and know the system? I'd like to see a defensive minded veteran point guard who won't ask for a lot of minutes, like Royal Ivey, or why not give another shot at Marcus Banks as our 3rd/4th option?

Comment

Yeah, I'd take Banks back at the vet's min.

Comment

Yeah...I don't know. I'm ok with Barbosa there for the most part. Maybe we can get another tweener or 2 that can run some point. I say we should all start the "Bring Back Anthony Parker!" campaign. Anyway, I don't know what other options there are, but basically I think a 2 that can play the pick and roll would be enough as well if we keep Calderon, Bayless and Barbosa. At this point we could probably find a younger clone of Marcus Banks, and at the cheapest price I wouldn't hate that option.

Comment

Thomas A. wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, I'd take Banks back at the vet's min.
                          Actually, that's probably the best idea I've heard. He knows most of the players, he works hard, he keeps himself ready and as a third guard, he's pretty damn good.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                          X